cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me decide, take it or leave it

Johnnybgood
Explorer
Explorer
Went to look at a Triple E Topaz 240rl xl. It has just about every bell and whistle you could ask for, Inside, slides, outside look great. Problem is i got on top and walked the roof. While I didn’t hear anything that sounded ominous I did note that there were 2 or 3 areas where it felt like the board under that EDPM was warped or come unglued from the rest of the roof. I did not see any leaks in that area on the inside and everything looked like it was well sealed. NADA says it is worth 21,0000 they are willing to take 15000. What say you? Take it or Run?
19 REPLIES 19

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Johnnybgood wrote:
Rv tech said there were no leaks in the roof. Said we probably have about 4 years left if we took care of it. Wash and condition the roof about every 6 months. Then stressed getting a Rhino roof when we were ready to replace this roof. He didn’t call it a Rhino roof but it is the same thing as the Rhino liner you spray in the bed of a pickup truck.

be sure to get a cost of that replacement and subtract it from what you will pay. or just avoid a rubber roof.
bumpy

Johnnybgood
Explorer
Explorer
An interesting thing. There are these tiny circles that are appearing on the front of the rv. It is as if someone was taking a tiny punch and was taking out the top cover of the sidewall. Anyone heard of this?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Johnnybgood,

Washing the roof, unless there is some significant reason, may simply shorten the life span.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Johnnybgood
Explorer
Explorer
Rv tech said there were no leaks in the roof. Said we probably have about 4 years left if we took care of it. Wash and condition the roof about every 6 months. Then stressed getting a Rhino roof when we were ready to replace this roof. He didn’t call it a Rhino roof but it is the same thing as the Rhino liner you spray in the bed of a pickup truck.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Johnnybgood wrote:
Gbopp,
Taking your advice and having a mobile rv tech take a look at it. Thanks. John

Let us know what the rv tech advises.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Johnnybgood wrote:
Gbopp,

Here's a good link for you: https://nrvia.org/. I was planning on using an inspector from here when I was looking at some used rigs.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Johnnybgood
Explorer
Explorer
Gbopp,

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
lj2654 wrote:
If you are on this forum questioning it I would walk away. Too many other deals out there to be second guessing the issues you may have.

X2. Apparently you have concerns with the roof. Hire a mobile RV tech to do an inspection.
Or, walk away.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
If you are on this forum questioning it I would walk away. Too many other deals out there to be second guessing the issues you may have.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't want a rubber roofed RV myself when there are plenty of options.
bumpy

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Does (did?) the manufacturer specify that it is a "walk on" roof?
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Walking on the roof and feeling something underfoot may not be a good way to evaluate anything. Realistically, how much can you ascertain by feel of the foot? If there are no signs of water intrusion anywhere, then whatever you are feeling could very well have been that way from new.

I bet you are feeling the whole roof truss flex under your weight.

X2. I have a spot on my trailer roof that is like that and there is certainly no water damage.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Walking on the roof and feeling something underfoot may not be a good way to evaluate anything. Realistically, how much can you ascertain by feel of the foot? If there are no signs of water intrusion anywhere, then whatever you are feeling could very well have been that way from new.

I bet you are feeling the whole roof truss flex under your weight.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Structural roof problems?
I just wouldn't want anything to do with that kind of trouble.