cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Insurance wtf???

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to close a deal on a 2008 Winnebago Journey 39z. Calling around getting quotes for insurance. Comprehensive and liability of course.

I'm getting quotes between $2000 and $2500 a year. That's what i pay for homeowners insurance on $200k of home, $150k in out buildings plus contents.

What are yall paying?
40 REPLIES 40

jloftin60
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2017 Fleetwood Discovery and 2017 Jeep Wrangler insured with
Good Sams RV National Assurance Company. I hit a rock in a RV park in Colorado this past July that they paid less than $6,500.00 to repair.
At that time my premium for both vehicles were $2,200.00. I was expecting a little jump in my renewal, but when I received my annual renewal for 2018, the premium was $5,400.00 WOWZER!!
Beware.
John & Becky
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE
2015 Chevy Traverse

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
mdanielson55 wrote:
I have an 08 holiday rambler 44 ft insured at allstate at 230k replacement value for &1100.00 a year

That's a very good price for most any amount, assuming full coverage and maybe because of your location.
Thing is, you'll never see anywhere near $230K, no matter what, as the coach isn't worth anywhere, near that.
Still, exceptionally good for what your return would be, on the $1100 amount.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

mdanielson55
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 08 holiday rambler 44 ft insured at allstate at 230k replacement value for &1100.00 a year

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
You probably don't run your house into a tractor trailer, whereas............

Don't cuss farmers with your mouth full.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
We've been shopping ours around and no one has bested AARP Hartford.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

gonesouth
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I noticed a few years ago with Progressive is that they gave a large discount because I wanted a $500,000 liabilty limit. Something about it indicated I would be a safer driver.
Currently planning for retirement.....planning to build a small home in Nova Scotia for summers and someday year-round. Trying to sort out a good way to spend winters in central Florida as I can't drive anymore.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ACDNate wrote:
Getting ready to close a deal on a 2008 Winnebago Journey 39z. Calling around getting quotes for insurance. Comprehensive and liability of course.

I'm getting quotes between $2000 and $2500 a year. That's what i pay for homeowners insurance on $200k of home, $150k in out buildings plus contents.

What are yall paying?

In most cases it depends on what value they will accept on your coach.
Naturally they like jacking it up and then raising it from time to time, even though it's depreciating on a daily basis, in most cases.
I was told by an insurance agent, that they must pay the full price for a total loss, no matter what value is on the policy. We're paying around $1300yr on $75K and too much I know, but we did have a sizable claim along the way, so too soon to start shopping again. With making out on it, like a bandit on it, we shouldn't be complaining anyway. The rig is worth a lot more than that, so again, they'll have to replace it, if lost for whatever reason.
So, what it boils down to, is the age old bet and with how much they want your business. They're betting that you won't lose it and you're betting that you will. Seems that, they're way ahead of the game and the auto insurance business, seems to be very lucrative, judging by all the ads.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
stugotz61 wrote:
You are paying too much for for your Home at $2500 a year for a 200k House - You need to seriously shop around for both. I have a 2008 Gulf Stream 40Ft on Freightliner Chassis runs about $1200 Per year - which is about $400 per year higher than my homeowners policy on my $350K house - Through Allstate - Good Luck Shopping

$800 per year for a 350k house PLUS contents. Sorry, don't believe what you posted. ESPECIALLY living in California. If you can prove what you state, then it all boils down to the old Caveat---YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. OR, IN YOUR CASE YOU DON'T GET WHAT YOU THINK YOU ARE PAYING FOR. Doug

I wouldn't be so quick to call someone out as $800 per year for a $350K replacement value on the main structure is not unbelievable. We're currently paying $700 per year for 300K on the main structure,250K contents, 50K other structures, 300K liabilty. It was just reduced from $750 for installing a monitored alarm system and is not with a no name carrier either.

There are too many variables to compare unless you're comparing properties using similar construction located next to each other, with the owners having the same income, credit score, past claims history, etc. Just the distance from the fire department, or is the fire department volunteer or manned 24/7, or the distance to the nearest fire hydrant, can affect homeowners rates by hundreds of dollars or more.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

RAINEYTXX
Explorer
Explorer
Full timer, class a, Progressive policy about 5k year!
2012 DRV Mobile Suites Atlanta 43'
2012 F-450
2016 Audi Q5
2011 Audi A8L
2004 Audi A4 6 speed sport package

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
That liability coverage it way too low. If you hit something or someone you are going to cause more damage or injury than 25,000 ( heck a lot of cars cost more than that) to any one item or person and what if you hit a car that is loaded with 5-6 people. Their injuries or possible disability will
cost way more than the $50,000 per accident allowed. I would very strongly urge you to increase that coverage to a minimum of 100,000/300,000 and take a higher comp and collision deductible to keep costs down.

We absolutely did. Most of the companies sent initial quotes at state minimums. Makes it easy to compare.

We ended up going with Safeco through a local agent and friend of mine. Millers and Foremost came in a wee bit cheaper but those both came from non-local agents. We decided to spend a few bucks extra to stay local.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
That liability coverage it way too low. If you hit something or someone you are going to cause more damage or injury than 25,000 ( heck a lot of cars cost more than that) to any one item or person and what if you hit a car that is loaded with 5-6 people. Their injuries or possible disability will
cost way more than the $50,000 per accident allowed. I would very strongly urge you to increase that coverage to a minimum of 100,000/300,000 and take a higher comp and collision deductible to keep costs down.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
stugotz61 wrote:
You are paying too much for for your Home at $2500 a year for a 200k House - You need to seriously shop around for both. I have a 2008 Gulf Stream 40Ft on Freightliner Chassis runs about $1200 Per year - which is about $400 per year higher than my homeowners policy on my $350K house - Through Allstate - Good Luck Shopping

$800 per year for a 350k house PLUS contents. Sorry, don't believe what you posted. ESPECIALLY living in California. If you can prove what you state, then it all boils down to the old Caveat---YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. OR, IN YOUR CASE YOU DON'T GET WHAT YOU THINK YOU ARE PAYING FOR. Doug

Good_Sam_Care_T
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have a "cut". We have the same rates as other agencies. Our value is that we can compare rates for 4 carriers that all have good RV coverage's at once. 95% of the time that the rates are different for the same company it is because: was the MVR pulled, was credit pulled, are the limits/deductibles exactly the same and what is the value placed on the RV. You must carefully compare the quotes.

Keith

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay away from the Hartford. My young daughter was rear ended by a driver that had Hartford and they tried to bully her into submission until I got involved.

You can try State Farm which we use but we carry a $2M liability rider on every thing. State Farm covered $8000.00 damage to Motor Home when towing insurance company refused. Do not know if State Farm litigated against the towing company or not. $1028.16/ annual on 2002 DSDP.

Just think how much damage you can do as you drive past a new car dealer and lose control or you tow comes unhooked.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT