cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 years 6.7Powerstroke update

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
It’s been 4 years since I bought a brand new 2014 F350 4x4 long box SuperDuty with the 6.7 Powerstroke. I have been pulling a tt, equipment trailer and a horse trailer sometimes with 4 horses in it all over the south west. Before buying this truck I had a 350 with the 7.3 in it and thought that was probably the best truck Ford would probably ever make but this 6.7 with 102,000 miles on it has beat the 7.3 in every way !!! I’m getting on average 18 to 20 mpg empty and 11....12 loaded . The truck as only been back to the dealer once because of a check engine light, turned out It was because I didn’t plug the air cleaner sensor back in. I like all kinds of trucks but I would buy one of these again in a heart beat !!
56 REPLIES 56

Community Alumni
Not applicable
alexleblanc wrote:
Geodude wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Geodude wrote:
In Ontario, a pickup truck is defined as having a GVWR 6000 kgs and under, and at that weight there are no personal use exemptions of any kind, you're 100% commercial. The GM dually has a GVWR of just under 6,000 kgs so it hits all my numbers and I don't need a CVOR.

Bummer. Doesn't Ford offer different GVWR packages anymore? I know you used to be able to spec out a F350 at 2 or 3 different weight limits, even though there was zero mechanical difference, just to get around these types of arbitrary designations.

On another note, you lose headroom as you gain trim cost in a Ram? I never knew that... but then again I have a Tradesman!

A buddy told me Ford offers a derated F-350 DRW in the US but not in Canada. I did let Ford Canada HQ know that they lost a sale over that. At the price of these things you'd think every sale would count. 🙂

On the Rams, I was told the higher trim models have higher seats to make room for the electric motors under the seat. I visited one local dealership and found they could have made the Ram's seat lower, even with the electric motor. The salesman said no problem we can remove the seat, cut out an inch of the seat mount, and boom, you have a lower seat. Yeah, great idea... He never did call me back on that plan!

if you pop onto the Ford.ca configurator you'll see that there's a 9900 GVWR downgrade option right there - still an option.

That wouldn't be for the dually tho, just the F-250 I would imagine. Maybe the F-350 SRW, but as I say, I didn't look.

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Geodude wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Geodude wrote:
In Ontario, a pickup truck is defined as having a GVWR 6000 kgs and under, and at that weight there are no personal use exemptions of any kind, you're 100% commercial. The GM dually has a GVWR of just under 6,000 kgs so it hits all my numbers and I don't need a CVOR.

Bummer. Doesn't Ford offer different GVWR packages anymore? I know you used to be able to spec out a F350 at 2 or 3 different weight limits, even though there was zero mechanical difference, just to get around these types of arbitrary designations.

On another note, you lose headroom as you gain trim cost in a Ram? I never knew that... but then again I have a Tradesman!

A buddy told me Ford offers a derated F-350 DRW in the US but not in Canada. I did let Ford Canada HQ know that they lost a sale over that. At the price of these things you'd think every sale would count. 🙂

On the Rams, I was told the higher trim models have higher seats to make room for the electric motors under the seat. I visited one local dealership and found they could have made the Ram's seat lower, even with the electric motor. The salesman said no problem we can remove the seat, cut out an inch of the seat mount, and boom, you have a lower seat. Yeah, great idea... He never did call me back on that plan!

if you pop onto the Ford.ca configurator you'll see that there's a 9900 GVWR downgrade option right there - still an option.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
shum02 wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
ACZL wrote:
Ford truck guy-- We are in same boat pretty much. Got ours in Dec of '14 and just over 37K.

Glad you guys haven't had any problems but if you really want to talk reliability, come back and post when there is a 1 and then a 2 in front of those mileage numbers.

If I so far can get 250K out of my IH 6.0L I'm pretty sure Ford's 6.7L will do just fine. Heck, looking at local used trucks in my area I see LOT's of 1st gen 6.7L trucks hitting well into that range already.

I saw 230K on a 6.doh. of course, that required three EGR coolers, a turbo, a pair of heads, and after all that, a replacement engine!
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Well I can't speak from the point of view of a mechanical inspector, but as a consumer, MY experience has been the opposite. Diesel trucks have been FAR more reliable than their gas counterparts doing the same job.

As a contractor, I use my vehicles fairly hard. They are not just commuter cars or grocery getters, though they do that too. They carry and tow thousands of pounds daily, 6-7 days a week.

I've owned 6 diesels now since 1997, all were Fords, all were either 7.3 or 6.7 powerstrokes. None had any problems that weren't directly caused by my right foot and a healthy dose of extra HP.

The only extra cost I incurred owning diesels over gassers was the lure of easily gotten HP and TQ from a simple tune and some bolt on parts!
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
ford f350 drw only come in 14k gvwr, the f350 srw come in two gvwr versions.

I'm surprised with all the truck wars that GM has a lower gvwr, although smart on their part.

In Ma we have the same registration issue, they forced me into a commercial plate, but here they go by the amount of tires touching the road.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Community Alumni
Not applicable
spoon059 wrote:
Geodude wrote:

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geodude wrote:

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Community Alumni
Not applicable
blofgren wrote:
Geodude wrote:
We traded our 2011 F-350 6.7 in early February. We bought it new in the fall of 2010, so it was an early build. Me, the early adopter.

As my wife said, the truck spent 7 years working hard for us, towing a heavy trailer and it didn't hiccup once. We sold it because the extended warranty had run out and those early builds had 3-4 things that would stood a higher chance of eventually going badly wrong vs. later 6.7s.

Shum, I coulda sold it to you for a great price! 😉

Curious why you made the jump to a GM if you were happy with your Ford, especially with an all new Super Duty now available.

Our 2011 Ford was overloaded by at least 400 pounds, more on some trips, so we wanted to gain some of that back and be on the right side of our numbers.

Despite the use of aluminium in the new Fords, the payload on any of the trucks we looked at was actually less than on our 2011. We wanted an 8' box to get the biggest fuel tank possible. When we realized the Ford SRW didn't have the payload we started looking at various solutions.

The Ram SRW trucks had the payload I need but I only had enough headroom in the lower trim lines. The new Ford dually has a GVWR over 6,000 kgs and that would means it would be subject to the Commercial Vehicle Operator Registration program here in Ontario and having to maintain trip logs and do daily inspections. In Ontario, a pickup truck is defined as having a GVWR 6000 kgs and under, and at that weight there are no personal use exemptions of any kind, you're 100% commercial. The GM dually has a GVWR of just under 6,000 kgs so it hits all my numbers and I don't need a CVOR.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Geodude wrote:
We traded our 2011 F-350 6.7 in early February. We bought it new in the fall of 2010, so it was an early build. Me, the early adopter.

As my wife said, the truck spent 7 years working hard for us, towing a heavy trailer and it didn't hiccup once. We sold it because the extended warranty had run out and those early builds had 3-4 things that would stood a higher chance of eventually going badly wrong vs. later 6.7s.

Curious why you made the jump to a GM if you were happy with your Ford, especially with an all new Super Duty now available.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Community Alumni
Not applicable

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
Probably won’t believe this...... I bought my first diesel pickup a Ford F-250 in 1994 7.3 no turbo I owned it until 2002 280,000 miles without it ever going back to a shop for anything other than regular maintenance. In 2002 I bought a new F350 with the 7.3 and drove it without any problems other than regular maintenance and one set of glow plugs and ball joints . Sold it with right at 300,000 miles on it in 2014. I bought an F350 with the 6.7 Powerstroke right after I sold the 2002 and today I have over 102,000 miles on it with absolutely o problems. Now I do take really good care of them, quality fuel, oil and filters at 5000 miles . Everybody has their favorites but after owning these trucks plus being in the trucking business for a long time and owning many Peterbilt trucks I am 110% sold on diesel pickup trucks !!!

skidooman93
Explorer
Explorer
brooks379 wrote:
It’s been 4 years since I bought a brand new 2014 F350 4x4 long box SuperDuty with the 6.7 Powerstroke. I have been pulling a tt, equipment trailer and a horse trailer sometimes with 4 horses in it all over the south west. Before buying this truck I had a 350 with the 7.3 in it and thought that was probably the best truck Ford would probably ever make but this 6.7 with 102,000 miles on it has beat the 7.3 in every way !!! I’m getting on average 18 to 20 mpg empty and 11....12 loaded . The truck as only been back to the dealer once because of a check engine light, turned out It was because I didn’t plug the air cleaner sensor back in. I like all kinds of trucks but I would buy one of these again in a heart beat !!

Unfortunately this is the exception not the norm for diesel engines these days. They are better each an every year but still aren't close to as reliable as a gas engine.

I am a diesel owner, switched from a Ram 6.4 to a Ram 6.7 Cummins due to towing a 5th wheel that was to much for the gas motor. Swore I would never own a diesel but now I do. I haven't had one bit of trouble with my diesel. But per my job as a self employed mechanical inspector, I have more experience than most here when it comes to common failures on vehicles. That's what I do all day every day. I inspect cars, trucks, motor homes, semis, atvs, snowmobiles, motorcycles, tractors, ag equipment, if it has an engine and is a consumer vehicle I probably have done a mechanical inspection on it. I am hired by insurance companies and the manufacturers to provide an independent analysis of what has failed on a vehicle and why. I have done this for 10 years. And my business is as busy as ever.

Diesels have their place, they are made for towing and do it fantastically. But they are finicky, expensive to repair, and are far more common to need expensive repairs than an equivalent gasoline engine. There are thousands of diesels that go 100, 200, 300k miles without major repairs, but from experience, you are far more likely to need major expensive repairs owning a diesel than a gasoline engine. All 3 brands have their issues, they are better than they were. But by the average they still are a money pit. If you tow heavy they are the only way to go, but they are not the most reliable.
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.7 Cummins, 68RFE Rear Air Suspension
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.4 Hemi 4.10's Rear Coil Springs (Sold)
Anderson UCH
2014 Open Range 367BHS
1 wife, 1 Son, 1 Daughter, 1 Red Lab that wont come in the camper because hes a big baby, so he stays home.

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
its always the dodge...ram..owners that seem to be so knowledgeable about any and all ford failures...lol

Its a sign of envy 🙂
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
its always the dodge...ram..owners that seem to be so knowledgeable about any and all ford failures...lol
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside