Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bryce Canyon NP from Denver area

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Looking at a trip to Bryce Canyon area near the end of May. Sprinter "B+" with toad. Coming from Denver area. Rather than staying on I-70, is Rte 24 thru Capital Reef, then Rte 12 south a suitable alternative for travel/towing? Would likely loop back via Rte 89 north to I-70. Also ideas for CGs while along that route. Enjoy dry camping more than resorts. All input appreciated! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's
10 REPLIES 10

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Kodachrome Basin is one of our favorite Utah SPs. Lots of easy to moderate hikes over sandstone "slick rock" terrain. And we especially liked the FHU, long pull-thru site with some bushes screening our site from our neighbors. You would have plenty of room for your coach and toad in one of those pull-thrus.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

IA_boy
Explorer
Explorer
24/12 is one of our favorite drives of all time. Fruita CG at Capital Reef is very interesting with the wildlife, fruit trees, homemade pie, etc. Take time to tour the back canyons at Capital Reef.
A great hike is to Lower Calf Creek Falls at the Calf Creek Recreation Area. They have a very nice CG (first come,first serve).
Best way to enjoy Brice is a hike into the Canyon.
Have a good trip.
Rich

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed in Red Canyon national forest campground a few times with our 40' motorhome towing the Jeep. No problem with the sites. It doesn't have hookups if that would be a concern for you. However, if you don't need hookups why not stay in Bryce national park? It's so convenient to the free shuttle, walk to the Visitor Center and trails. We've also stayed there.

Here are photos of Red Canyon:

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/ut/red-canyon/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Red Canyon USFS CG sits on what I believe is a parallel to the roadway bike/walk paved trail that heads east towards Bryce Canyon. It looks like it would be perfect for a daily ride through the canyon, if you've got bikes. We've driven through the campground in a class B van scoping it out for future use, and iirc the loop roads are tight in places, and might have vertical overhangs from trees in a few spots along them as well. That said, have seen all shapes and sizes of MH and TT 5W parked in the sites, so not a show stopper, just be aware. Also, the entrance crosses a drainage wash, and has a bit of a dip, so watch for that as well. Knowing the typical international makeup of the clientele that visit BCNP, the Red Canyon "iron ranger" has "pay here" written on it in multiple languages. I'd never seen that done before, but it makes sense. 🙂
We would stay there, next time out.
Bryce Canyon Pines closer to the NP looks good, too, if you want full hookups. It's commercial, but we thought the rates were reasonable last time we were out that way.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Skipper!
Nothing like a little local knowledge to help with the planning! Any input on Red Canyon or Kodachrome Basin? Red Canyon appears close enough to easily visit Bryce, how about Kodachrome?
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1967-1977 Family TT's

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
loggenrock wrote:
Hi all - appreciate the input so far! We have already had the opportunity to visit Moab, Arches, and Zion. So plan is to sneak in from the north (family in Denver area) to see Capital Reef and Bryce.

So...my proposed route is OK for coach and toad? Was thinking about Red Canyon USFS CG and/or Kodachrome Basin SP - yea or nay? Thanks! ST

YUP!
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all - appreciate the input so far! We have already had the opportunity to visit Moab, Arches, and Zion. So plan is to sneak in from the north (family in Denver area) to see Capital Reef and Bryce.

So...my proposed route is OK for coach and toad? Was thinking about Red Canyon USFS CG and/or Kodachrome Basin SP - yea or nay? Thanks! ST
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1967-1977 Family TT's

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
24/12 is a gorgeous route to take but don't forget there's much more in that whole areas other than Bryce. Do you have more time? There's Arches Nat'l Park, Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon.....

^^^^^ I Agree ^^^^^

And don't forget the State Parks and side drives along the way - Map of Not so Direct but Beautiful, Route

Out of Denver on I-70 jump off on RT 58 towards Golden, take RT 6 as it follows Clear Creek to Idaho Springs and rejoins I-70 - then through the Tunnel past Breck and Silverthorne to RT 91 and Leadville - follow that to RT 24 taking you past Camp Hale, Red Cliff and Minturn, just a beautiful drive on the Backside of Vail and the Ski resort - rejoin I-70 at Minturn - to Glenwood Springs - there you need to exit to the Local park for the Colorado River and the over and under Interstate on the side of the cliffs, Just one of the great example of the Highway not ruining the beauty of the Mountains (Side trip, if you can to Maroon Bells/Aspen, the most photographed Rock in Colorado) - sort of a normal interstate drive to Grand Junction where you could jump off to see The Colorado National Monument, before you head into Utah.

Now as you enter Utah be sure to Jump off at Exit 214 to follow the Colorado River into Moab - again the opportunity to see a few National Parks and State Park, before you jump back on the Interstate to catch Goblin State Park (Capitol Reef NP is also available) from there you will enjoy Escalante SP and Kodachrome SP before driving the RT 12 Hog Back and entering Bryce NP.

Hope this is of some help, and Hope you have set aside Weeks not Days to see and enjoy this part of the Southwest.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
24/12 is a gorgeous route to take but don't forget there's much more in that whole areas other than Bryce. Do you have more time? There's Arches Nat'l Park, Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon.....
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Have only done it in a Roadtrek 190P - it's hilly and winding in places as you'd expect, but I don't think you'll have any issues pulling your car if you use due caution. See what others think before deciding.

It's a very scenic route, the Grand Staircase is interesting, and the pastries at the Gifford House are worth the stop at Cap Reef NP. Not a lot of typical amenities so fuel when possible. I can't recall what the availability of diesel was, as we drove a gasser, so maybe try Gas Buddy to see what's what? I'm sure we passed a few semi trucks/trailers, so there must be fuel for them. Stop at the Kiva Koffee House if you have time. It's unique considering where it is.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)