cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of adding and external tank for trip

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 99 F250 with the 7.3 and we're lucky to get a range of 350 miles on flat ground and we like to do a lot of boondocking so I'm thinking of adding an external tank so I don't feel like I have to go from gas station to gas station. We leave mid May and get back in September. I'd like it to be gravity fed so no need for a pump as I don't have any other diesel items.

What can I get one for? Looks like about $300 from scanning Amazon. Also what should that should it cost to install? 40 gallon seems to be the standard size. I assume I'm going to have to move my toolbox forward and have the tank behind it. I don't think I've ever seen at the other way around?

I also bought a more powerful air pump and a new generator (I had one of those 800 watt $100 deals just as an emergency for my 2000 watts of solar my dad gave me when we left to full time three years ago). I bought champion, the stack able version because we just don't use the generator much unless we get like three days of zero sun and I just couldn't justify more than twice the price for a Honda. Hell I considered another $100 job but I wanted the ability to chain them together in cae we decide to do so warm weather boondocking.

I also have all kinds of random safety gear in my toolbox but is there anything else I really should consider? I'm going to get a radio and an antenna for the truck. We did the Baja trip no problem, though the tow strap was useful...

(By the way it make s me select Alaska or Canada but I imagine I'm not the only one doing both...)
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com
14 REPLIES 14

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
We did the Alaska trip in 2015. I would typically fill up after driving 250 to 350 miles. Getting fuel was never an issue.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I am considering a 25 gallon Enduraplas tank. No installation required
gives me the ability to haul 25 more gallons fairly easily. I can refill in a rest area or at my leisure.

25 gallon Enduraplas Tank

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Yea, I'd want gravity feed. It appears there is a kit to convert the tanks to gravity fed.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Really any tank that fits dimensionally will work. Typical mounting for slip tanks is in front of the tool box. But Iโ€™ve put tanks behind the tool box too. Just harder to get into the tool box and more weIght on rear axle.
Are you talking gravity feed with a check valve? Either way Iโ€™d put a ball valve on the tank.
Itโ€™s a relatively simple job, a shop may charge 2-3 hours
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

soren
Explorer
Explorer
kedanie wrote:
On our first trip north in 2011 with a Ford F-350, I just carried 3 5 gallon fuel jugs. Only used them once to get past a remote area where fuel prices were off the chart.

Those fuel jugs are way less money than an installed tank!

Keith
Fuel prices are a real good reason to drive on the upper 1/2 of the tank, if possible, and have the luxury of passing one of the few roadhouses that really screw people on fuel. A few times I've pulled into a stop, glanced at the price at the pump, and at the fuel guage, put it in drive and went another fifty miles, to a place where fuel is 20-30% less. I remember one place that was so greedy that they made sure to post big signs with their ridiculous price, at the entrance to their long driveway back to their campground, and absurdly priced pumps. I got the feeling that it was done to eliminate nasty exchanges by potential customers who drove off the highway, and were not happy about the attempted "stick-up".

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
I don't trust it below a quarter too, definitely not accurate. Honestly I haven't checked it in a long time but when we drove baja we were warned to get extra diesel for a long section, I don't remember how long it was but I made it with no issue without using the tanks. I may be well of though...
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

zenasboy
Explorer
Explorer
buylow12 wrote:
I've got a 99 F250 with the 7.3 and we're lucky to get a range of 350 miles...)

You're able to 350 miles on a tank? Is that towing or empty?? I've got an '02 7.3 that we're lucky to go 220 miles/tank when towing 30 ft 7500 travel trailer and that's with a tuner which I think helps me get another 1-2 mpg. Running empty, I have no trouble going 325-350 miles per tank.

If you get that distance towing, I'd like to know more about your set-up. I'm always looking to see what I can do to improve my mileage. By the way, I never let the needle drop below 1/4 tank cause I don't trust the gauge below that mark. If it's accurate I suppose I could squeeze out another 50-75 miles or so.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
For a summertime / tourist season trip, extra fuel is very much a "nice to have" rather than convenience and I wouldn't think an extra tank is needed. There's always the odd event that can happen (the station is closed, out of fuel, whatever) so 10-20 gallons in cans might not be a bad idea, but I wouldn't go for the extra tank. Just run off the top 1/2 - 2/3 of your tank.

Can't speak for Canada so much, but for "boondocking" from much of the main road system in Alaska, if one goes 1 mile off the road, you're likely not to have too much company. Go for a stroll of another 500 yards and you'll feel like your really in the woods.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

kedanie
Explorer
Explorer
On our first trip north in 2011 with a Ford F-350, I just carried 3 5 gallon fuel jugs. Only used them once to get past a remote area where fuel prices were off the chart.

Those fuel jugs are way less money than an installed tank!

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Double posted somehow...
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice we do like to boondock but if they're mostly only 50 to 75 miles we should be able to do both without worrying about it. We don't usually go more than a few miles into the forests and blm land to boondock anyways.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I've done the trip from PA. to AK. four times now. Once with a 2003 7.3 pulling a 25' travel trailer. Your money, and your choices, but be aware that there are absolutely no concerns about the range of your truck where you're heading. It's pretty rare to go 50-75 miles between fuel stops, unless you are heading way off to places that 99% of travelers never venture. The furthest distance we did between fuel stops was the haul road, and that wasn't even close to being an issue, on a trip to the circle and back. Have a great trip.

buylow12
Explorer
Explorer
You mind sharing which one you got? Plus I like the idea of the relay, how exactly does that work? Do you have a toolbox in your bed too, because I really don't want to give mine up? I'm guessing you installed it yourself, was it pretty easy? For example I was proud of myself for fixing the rear door cables myself. If it's much more difficult than that I'll probably have to pay someone. Use a YouTube video to guide you? Thanks for the response.
Tim Czarkowski
TotalTravelers.com

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a 38 gallon from Amazon. Gravity feed and I installed a relay. Works great. I let the fuel gauge fall to 3/4 then turn on relay.