cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling I-80 through Pennsylvania

newatrvinginohi
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everybody! We are exploring RV'ing and will be renting a Class C RV this summer and thinking of driving over to Pennsylvania taking I-80. Some questions are:
- Is the drive too mountainous for first timers?
- Any part of central/ eastern Penn. a concern?
- Any points we have not considered?
12 REPLIES 12

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
We ran on I 80 last year across PA in a 30 foot Class C flat towing our Ford Explorer. It was an easy drive, the V-10 did it no problem. Didn't really drop down below 70 mph even on the hills. I usually run about 70 - 75 mph.

There was not much traffic till we got to the Poconos which we ended up heading south to Bangor about then.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Use a GPS to plan ahead for merges and off ramps requiring lane changes. Change lanes using your mirrors and rear camera. Signal intent to change lanes in well in advance and watch for idiots lurking in your blind spots. Don't risk crash, pass up an off ramp when you can't get to it safely and use GPS to get back on desired route. Leave room to make sudden stops, know how fast you can stop. Don't let yokels push you to take turns too fast, pull off when safe to let "parade" pass.

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
Aside from snowy weather, and occasional bad traffic within the easternmost 30 miles through the Poconos to the NJ line, I-80 across PA is a great road, with plenty of EZ-off/EZ-on fuel and food stops. And as noted, no tolls either.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
We routinely take 80 when visiting relatives near Boston.

If heading that way get off 80 in Stroudsburg and take US 209 thru Delaware Water Gap National park. good road and scenery. Pick up 84 in Milford PA and follow to east coast. Only toll is the bridge in NY and that is Wast bound only.

Great fuel prices just inside NY exit 1 but take a left off exit into NJ for the best prices.

There is a good RV park at the last exit in PA, but if you take 209 it will be just right of the entrance to 84. We fuel up in OH and after PA. and not in Conn.

We are coming from Cincinnati and stay in Western PA one night and one In Milford, then with relatives south of Boston
Jim Hunter

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
OFDPOS, please allow me to make a correction to your post. There are no toll sections on I 80 in PA, except for the bridge over the Delaware River at the NJ state line. Actually having traveled I 80 along the Brookville to Stroudsburg stretch of I 80 last summer, I felt the road was in pretty good shape. However, that is only my opinion.

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Have only traveled that area a couple times , my only advise is try to stay off the toll sections !
WOW that is the worst sections of I-80 all the way West to San Francisco !!!

newatrvinginohi
Explorer
Explorer
PghBob, wow that is really great information to know. Thanks so much.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
The highest point on I80 east of the Mississippi is east of Dubois PA. Approaching this point going either east or west on I80 can cause the big rigs to back up in the right lane as they crawl up the grade. Be extremely careful in this area for slow trucks passing slower trucks, and cars suddenly pulling into the left lane to get around slow moving rigs. There have been some short stretches of construction on the road last year. Otherwise, enjoy the views.

newatrvinginohi
Explorer
Explorer
j-d, thanks so much. This is really great information to have. We really appreciate it.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
The highways won't be an issue. If you haven't driven a motorhome, watch out while maneuvering. If it's a long Class C, especially on Ford, it has a huge turning circle. A U-Turn is impossible on anything but a four lane divided highway. In towns and fuel stops, beyond the limited turning:

The Rear Wheels can easily go over the curb on a right turn

The Rear End Swing can go into another lane on a tight turn or catch something like a gas pump or safety post

The Middle of the Coach can rub along something that's too close alongside when you turn tight

We usually fuel at Truck Stops. They don't have gasoline in the actual Truck Lanes, but the pump area in front of the Travel Center is usually more spacious than an ordinary gas station/convenience store.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

newatrvinginohi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks rr2254545! We appreciate that information.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
newatrvinginohio wrote:
Hello everybody! We are exploring RV'ing and will be renting a Class C RV this summer and thinking of driving over to Pennsylvania taking I-80. Some questions are:
- Is the drive too mountainous for first timers?
- Any part of central/ eastern Penn. a concern?
- Any points we have not considered?

No problem - our interstate highways have maximum grades of 6-7%
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks