cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air hose reel in generator compartment.

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone mounted an air hose reel in the generator compartment? I'm thinking about it as there is air available there and appears to be room for one. Looks like it would be handy. Any pros or cons? Thanks. Max.
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'16 Chevy Silverado - M&G Brake System
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone? - Bob Dylan
10 REPLIES 10

joraz
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m with DSDP Don on using onboard air to fill tires. Itโ€™s a slow process. One thing you can do to make it less painful is make sure your D2 air governor is set at 130 psi or so.

On our last coach I finally gave up and bought a cheapo 110v compressor which worked well. Using a reel with that setup sounds like a great idea. Our present coach has less storage so Iโ€™m counting on luck and Michelin to keep them inflated.
jor
09 LazyDaze

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"Dreamer".....It sounds like a great idea, but really doesn't work well. Here's why.....What's the first thing you do when yo get to a campsite, you dump your air and level. Now your tanks are empty and render the air tank pretty much useless. Many coaches will try and air up the airbags, if you start the engine to fill the tank.

Lastly, the air pressure provided from these tanks will not air up your tires. Someone will come along and say they do, but it requires a bunch of gizmos and keeping the engine running for long periods of time to get enough air.

If you just want the air to occasionally blow something off while the coach is aired up, great, but anything other than that, you're better off to get a separate air compressor for your coach.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted a small 50' hose reel to a compressor in a basement compartment.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
micpib1 wrote:
I just carry two 25' coiled air hoses, with 50' I could get all around the coach and they self-coiled and took up very little space. JH
I keep my coiled air hoses in a 5"x8' vinyl fence post. Along with 2 more fence posts for a ladder, etc.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

dreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the comments and ideas. I've switched my thinking and decided to go with a 50 foot coiled air line. After measuring for the hose reel there just wasn't as much room as I had originally thought for mounting it. Thanks again! Max.
'07 HR Scepter - 400HP
'02 Tracker
'02 Honda Reflex
'16 Chevy Silverado - M&G Brake System
'17 RZR 900 Trail
'17 RZR 1000 High Lifter

How does it feel
To be on your own
With no direction home
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone? - Bob Dylan

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
X2 on the above ^^^^ plus I added a air outlet at the back.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

micpib1
Explorer
Explorer
I just carry two 25' coiled air hoses, with 50' I could get all around the coach and they self-coiled and took up very little space. JH

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that one con would be road spray flying around in bad weather conditions. At a minimum, I'd want some kind of cover over the connector for the air chuck to be sure it stays protected. Protection of the reel and hose mechanisms is one reason these would be located in a sealed compartment.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Good idea. I would put a shutoff valve between the air supply and the hose reel. Hose reels tend to leak slightly.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I like that idea! I have room in a side compartment of mine where I have the hose stored now. Good project!
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed