cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiences with Motorhomes of Texas

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
I did a search to see if there were a lot of comments already on doing business with Motorhomes of Texas, but really only saw one recent one from Tinstar, which was very positive.

So asking for experiences from anyone who has done business with them. They clearly have some good marketing and their coaches appear to be really cleaned up nice and ready to go, but looking on the internet at things and direct dealings can sometimes be two different things.

I do see that Better Business Bureau of Texas has them A+ rated, but there are absolutely no posted comments/experiences and they are not BBB accredited (not a member, I assume that means). Surprisingly, experience comments are not a factor in BBB ratings which tend to look at complaint resolution, marketing practices, time in business, etc.

Thanks.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4
28 REPLIES 28

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, we consigned our '08 Dynasty with Motorhomes of Texas back in summer of 2014. It sold in 90 days. We were members of the TBC (two bus club) for two weeks as the new coach came in just before the 'previous loved one' sold.

MOT was very fair, I would certainly consign with them again and consider a purchase if they had something that I was looking for.

Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
joraz wrote:
... it’s important to realize that most of the coaches they sell are there on consignment so you are really dealing with the owner rather than...

There is another consignment place in Texas that is highly talked about on this forum. Almost 100% positive posts here.

I went out of my way to swing past one of their lots outside of San Antonio. It had mostly junk, the above quote was the reason for it.

From that experience I learned that buying local is as good as going half way across the country based on internet reviews when it comes to consignment rigs.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

joraz
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve had service work done there and am happy with the work. As someone else mentioned, they specialize in Foretravels and have an excellent reputation within that community of owners. Regarding purchasing a coach there, it’s important to realize that most of the coaches they sell are there on consignment so you are really dealing with the owner rather than Motorhomes of Texas.
jor
09 LazyDaze

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
After all my searching on the internet all but two reviews have been positive out of several dozen I've found on different sites. Looks like the vast majority of customers are very happy. Thanks for all the responses.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I spent a lot of time on the Foretravel forums when looking for a motorhome and MOT is like the holy grail.
I know form member Mr Mark sold motorhome there a couple years ago.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Tntman
Explorer
Explorer
Just a word here, Texas was under salt water. If I were looking at a Texas coach, I would crawl under the coach and look for rust or water damage. I heard lots of coaches went to auction after the flooding.
ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST,
Mike, Jill and our dog Goshe
Our Booger dog is with us in a custom urn, miss ya Boogs
2003 Tiffin Phaeton, Roadmaster tow products, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Good Sam, SKP, FMCA F292654

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
So 3 pages and no negative comments about MOT.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
bogeygolfer wrote:
And, as always...caveat emptor.

If I'm buying used, I go in with my massive checklist which entails everything inside, on top, and under. I bring a pair of coveralls and go to town. Fortunately, my son-in-law runs a trucking company's shop and is a diesel and trailer mechanic so I've learned a lot from him on what to look for on the power trains. On our last unit, my wife and I spent about 5 hours...she took the inside and I took everything on the outside. It was lots of fun in Florida July heat and humidity!!! By the time I got done, I looked like I just crawled out of the shower I was so wet and definitely needed one. 🙂 Everything has to be fired-up and running. We check it all inch by inch.

Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
FWIW, I just sold my old 5'ver down in the RGV area this winter. I was amazed at how many of the people who looked at mine made statements about the junk that was out there from the Houston Flood (400 miles away.) I guess what they were seeing was the parting out of flooded rigs so as to make a good one for sale.

Might want to keep that in the back of your mind when you're inspecting stuff to buy.

Yep...was already in the back of my mind, but thanks as that is an excellent tip for anyone...though that is not just for buyers doing business in TX...those things could be anywhere by now. Unless it was a total loss and on a Salvage title, not sure if something like CARFAX would have the background. And for sure they wouldn't if someone just "dried it out" and then just dumped it.

Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
Comments on the Foretravel Owners site (www.foreforums.com) are overwhelmingly positive. As for pricing: negotiate, just like you would anywhere else. And, as always...caveat emptor.
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I just sold my old 5'ver down in the RGV area this winter. I was amazed at how many of the people who looked at mine made statements about the junk that was out there from the Houston Flood (400 miles away.) I guess what they were seeing was the parting out of flooded rigs so as to make a good one for sale.

Might want to keep that in the back of your mind when you're inspecting stuff to buy.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a good friend who has the exact same coach as I do and he is work kamping in Texas....I can tell you he has had 3 experiences with servicing his Entegra at motorhomes of texas and has nothing but accoloades for them.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
afrescop wrote:
Unless things have changed an RV dealer is only required to service those coaches under factory warranty that it has sold. This means if you buy from, say a dealer in TX, a dealer of the same brand in Colorado is not obligated to do the warranty work. Some years back we bought a fifth wheel from an Internet dealer in Ohio. The first couple of dealers of this same manufacturer refused warranty service. Eventually I found a very reputable local dealer to do the work but it was somewhat of a hassle.

Yes and No. In Texas, if you are a Franchised MOTORIZED RV Dealer, you must do warranty work on all of that Franchise even if not purchased their. Towables, Dealers can refuse service, as there is no law that states they must warranty vehicles purchased elsewhere. That said, a LOT of Dealers will not refuse to do warranty work. The Smart ones will just tell the non customer they are booked up for 2 or 3 months. That way they are not refusing, just making it difficult. We work on all that we are a Dealer for. The DIFFERENCE is, there are a LOT of items that are NOT a warranty concern that your selling dealer will adjust or handle for free because you ARE their customer. Buy elsewhere and those items are things YOU pay for. WE get this all the time. The customer is anxious and wants to get home and the selling dealer states, just have the local dealer fix those items. But, those items may be lot damage or missing items that the selling dealer is responsible for, and now it is on the customer to get it handled. Doug

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we have looked at used coaches on the internet, the ones we have seen were much higher priced at Motorhomes of TX then other dealers with similar coaches. As long as they are willing to negotiate, that may not make any difference but it's going to be a harder hill to climb.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?