cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pit Barrel Cooker

out_for_a_rip
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have one? I am really close to pulling the trigger and would love some feedback from anyone with experience.

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

out_for_a_rip
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Do you just use regular charcoal briquette's with the PBC or wood blocks like oak or hickory?

I use Kingsford blue which they recommend and also wood chunks for extra smoke.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
Do you just use regular charcoal briquette's with the PBC or wood blocks like oak or hickory?
. My son uses regular charcoal. I don't think it matters
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

out_for_a_rip
Explorer
Explorer
This past weekend I cooked 4 racks of ribs, 2 bone in chicken breasts, 1 pork tenderloin, and 1 corned beef all at once on the PBC. So far I am loving this thing, the shear volume you can cook is amazing to me and the quality has been great so far as well. Today I ordered the ash pan because I am already tired of picking it up to dump the ashes from the bottom, and I will likely order more of their beef and game rub soon. For anyone that BBQ's I would recommend trying this rub. I am going to try out a pork butt this weekend and probably a chicken as well.

Lemonhead78
Explorer
Explorer
Suggestion. I cut my slabs in half so that way the weight of the meat is reduced and less of a chance of them falling in the coals . Enjoy !!!

out_for_a_rip
Explorer
Explorer
I received my Pit Barrel this week and did my first cook last night. It was a pork tenderloin and some bone in chicken breasts. Both came out great and I am very pleased with the purchase so far. I really like how simple it is, normally with my Weber kettle I need to babysit and spend a lot of time tuning it in initially, with the PBC I just hung the meat and checked periodically. The plan is for ribs and corned beef this weekend, for me the ribs will be the real test for the cooker.

rehless
Explorer
Explorer
I have one. Easy to use. Great for chicken. Great for ribs. For camping, I take a Weber Jumbo Joe and a Cajun Bandit rotisserie.

out_for_a_rip
Explorer
Explorer
Lemonhead78 wrote:
I have one. If you have any questions let me know. For me I like ribs and pulled pork on it the most. I don't personally like it with poultry. It gets too much of a smokey flavor for my taste. If you enjoy smokey flavor on foods than you'll love the pbc. Oh and it does use a lot of charcoal . Be prepared for that. Get your charcoal at a sams club or some place similar. Again any questions I'm here

Thanks for the offer. I pulled the trigger on the full size PBC last week, now just waiting for it to arrive. I think ribs and a whole chicken will be the initial run for it. I currently smoke a lot of chicken on my Weber kettle so I do like the smoke. As for charcoal, I currently go through quite a bit on my kettle that I use several times weekly, I stock up at Home Depot or Lowes when they run a sale around the holidays for two bags for $10.

Lemonhead78
Explorer
Explorer
I have one. If you have any questions let me know. For me I like ribs and pulled pork on it the most. I don't personally like it with poultry. It gets too much of a smokey flavor for my taste. If you enjoy smokey flavor on foods than you'll love the pbc. Oh and it does use a lot of charcoal . Be prepared for that. Get your charcoal at a sams club or some place similar. Again any questions I'm here

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who has multiple smokers and he has two barrel smokers. I believe he made them himself. He is a semi pro cook, maybe even pro.

Good luck.

Riock

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
My son has one and he loves it. I have sampled some of his meat he cooked on it and thought it was delicious. Seems to be hassle free!.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen many glowing reviews but I don't think they are as practical as others. You are much more limited than with a WSM or a pellet smoker. The BBQ store that I patronized says he sold only 3-4 in a year, and none in the last 6 months.