cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anderson Ultimate??

missouri_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Just got to see, for the first time, one of those Anderson ultimate hitches. That seems to be a pretty handy, dandy device. Any opinions on it?
39 REPLIES 39

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
In our case I bought the truck before I got the trailer. I was set on the Grand Design Momentum so I got the F450 knowing the Momentum has a GVW of 16.5 lbs GVW. Well, my wife liked the Reflection 28bh instead - D'oh! The 28bh has a GVW of "only" 11k lbs.

The truck came with the Ford/Reese 27k hitch. That thing is a monster. I haven't tried taking it out of the bed yet, but I have a feeling I'll have to bust a gut to get it out. So now I'm toying with the idea of going with an AUH instead so I can easily regain the real estate in the bed of my truck when I'm not towing.

I don't think the weight of the trailer will be an issue at all. And from the post above it looks like I can bypass the puck system and just get a hitch ball for the bed.

Are there any other downsides or changes I need to consider? Can I go with the Lippert pin box that came with the trailer or do I need a Trail Air or some other cushioned in box system?
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
bshgto1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

"The main one is I have to lift the fifth wheel up very high too pull the pickup under the ball."

MeAgain has mentioned this subject MANY times over the last few years! You are the FIRST owner to actually admit it can be an issue.

I`m curious why is this a problem for you. If I leave my tail gate up I have to lift high to, so

Not sure if I am understanding, but sounds like you are backing under pin with tailgate up?? If this is the case, due to clearance issues, you would almost certainly be better off by adding a V-gate.

Jerry

Thats not the case with the Andersen. With a standard 5th hitch you only need to raise the pin up about 1/4" higher than the 5th hitch. so if your truck sags 2" then you just have to raise it 2-1/4" to unhitch.
With the Andersen you have to raise it the 2" for truck sag plus the height of the ball socket in the coupler (2-1/2")and another 1/4 to 1/2". That all adds up to almost 5" of travel. More if your truck sags more. It will take twice as long to unhitch.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bshgto1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

"The main one is I have to lift the fifth wheel up very high too pull the pickup under the ball."

MeAgain has mentioned this subject MANY times over the last few years! You are the FIRST owner to actually admit it can be an issue.

I`m curious why is this a problem for you. If I leave my tail gate up I have to lift high to, so

Your quote of me is misleading! I was quoting someone else that had the problem. All I said was...... "MeAgain has mentioned this subject MANY times over the last few years! You are the FIRST owner to actually admit it can be an issue."
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
bshgto1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Not sure if I am understanding, but sounds like you are backing under pin with tailgate up?? If this is the case, due to clearance issues, you would almost certainly be better off by adding a V-gate.

Jerry

bshgto1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2018.5 Montana 3791 Rear Den
Electric brakes suck Disk brakes it`s the only way
Andersen Ultimate on the pucks, 5th AirBorne Mor/ryde SRE 4000 X Factors....real smooth ride
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7 Top Dog 5595 payload

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
n7bsn wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

You need to pay more attention then, I talk about that almost any time I post about mine.
I only have about 6 inches of clearance inside the RV port when I hitch/unhitch.

Teachers always said I needed to pay more attention.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

You need to pay more attention then, I talk about that almost any time I post about mine.
I only have about 6 inches of clearance inside the RV port when I hitch/unhitch.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Andersen aluminum and I wouldn't own anything else. My buddies all have traditional hitches and every one of them, except my buddy who put a gooseneck adapter on his fifth wheel, wants my Andersen. Last fall when I needed to take the hitch out, my 12 year old son did everything except undo the bolts, including carrying it to the garage himself. No doubt my wife could do the same.

For the discussion on the puck system, if you have that system, there is no Anderson that will fit in the pucks. But.... All you have to do is buy a ball for the puck system and you are done. It's the same as my setup now with a B&W turnover ball.

There are some negatives no one discusses. The main one is I have to lift the fifth wheel up very high too pull the pickup under the ball. With my front landing gear, that can take literally 5 minutes to lift and 3 minutes to drop back down. It's not a deal breaker but there is a level of agitation to it. The other negative is the discussion on whether chains are required in what states. I have gone chainless, but not sure I want to continue.

That being said, there's no other hitch I want and there's no chucking or anything, very stable setup.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
In before the lock ๐Ÿ™‚

Let me know when AndersEn makes a slider...

Why would they need a slider? I can turn 90 in a short bed with no slider. Pretty well covers it.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

slapshot12
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Roll n Lock cover and a locking tailgate. I keep it locked up while parked.
'18 Momentum 349M
'17 F-350 SRW Lariat CCSB 6.7 FX4

bshgto1
Explorer
Explorer
somebody road off with my wifes and I bikes that was in front of our camper at Myrtle Beach last year. But never thought of the adapter being stolen, I guess you could run a bolt up through it if your worried about it. I do lock my AU to the rails with a long shank lock.
2018.5 Montana 3791 Rear Den
Electric brakes suck Disk brakes it`s the only way
Andersen Ultimate on the pucks, 5th AirBorne Mor/ryde SRE 4000 X Factors....real smooth ride
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7 Top Dog 5595 payload

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
Has any ones UAN kingpin adapter sprouted legs and walked off their camper? We have been real lucky over the years and have never had anything walk off.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
In before the lock ๐Ÿ™‚

Let me know when AndersEn makes a slider...