cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ground squirrel or mouse??

Mr__Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, need some help. Two things any suggestions on figuring out if we have a mouse or a ground squirrel in the bowels of our motorhome. The only symptom is eaten toilet paper in the bathroom cabinet which leads under the floor of motorhome. I purchased the standard spring trap, any ideas beyond that. Best bait etc? Thank you!
20 REPLIES 20

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Fresh Cab is the natural product used in farm equipment. I used it this last spring while at Lake Tahoe (forested area so millions of rodents) and didn't have a problem with mice.

And I don't use peanut butter with traps. Messy compared to a little chunk of Tillamook Cheddar Cheese. The cheese works better because they can't just lick it off the trigger like they can PB. They have to tug if off...

Also used slices of Irish Spring soap on top of the tires and near openings, they don't like the smell.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Just repeated cleanings and time. The smell permeates the material, and then slowly works its way out. An Ozone generator may help. Rental companies usually have them.
Wildmanbaker

Mr__Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Well I put out traps , 5 of them. Nothing, then last night we noticed the smell. I can not find it, just know it's under bathroom sink cabinet. Any thought on next steps, like smell removal? Thanks!

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
77rollalong wrote:
no you pack the steel wool into any holes that the mice could fit into to... works kinda like flossing with barbed wire... they don't like it

If we could FIND the places they enter, we could solve the problems. I have seen metal sided building that have had rodents chew through, to access the food inside. Apparently rodents have to chew fibrous items to ware down the front teeth, as they grow their entire lifetime. If they didn't chew hard things, their teeth would grow long enough to prevent them from eating, and they would die of starvation in a short time.
Wildmanbaker

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
no you pack the steel wool into any holes that the mice could fit into to... works kinda like flossing with barbed wire... they don't like it

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster, You just place the steel wool in the area and it keeps rodents out? I have never heard of this, and am wondering how it works.
Wildmanbaker

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Steve, I don’t like using bait that attracts rodents to your coach! But, I understand you need to eradicate them from your coach! I had them get into my genset and chew and destroy my wiring harness! After you get them out of your coach use double 00 steel wool. I bought mine at Lowe’s and I put the steel wool in every cubby hole that I could find. I even removed every drawer in my RV and put steel wool everywhere inside the drawer! I’ve never had a rodent inside my coach since and it’s been over 10 years! I’ve also used steel wool around my genset and haven’t had any trouble with it either.

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
You will most likely take them with you.

Our friends never had mice and found signs of them last month camping in Texas.
So far caught two upon returning home.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

Mr__Steve
Explorer
Explorer
well we will be leaving this site in a few days, maybe we can get lucky..

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the can leave, but usually return, or others follow their stint trail in. There can be weeks with not signs and them they seem to show up again, not knowing if there are new rodents or the same one(s) that were just lying low for a while.
Wildmanbaker

Mr__Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the help from everyone. We went with several standard mouse traps with spring bar's, with a mouse trap , check in and don't check out. It has been days and no signs, no poop, no toilet paper eating, nothing in traps. Can they sometimes exit?

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We use RAT BAR, a cat and Mouse traps with PBJ, our Mice are very special.If you worry animals will get the Ratbar, put it in a 2 in pipe 18 long with an 18 in T inverted.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Once you catch what ever it is, check with your local farm store. There is a product that the farmers use in the cab of the tractors that really does repel them. Easier to keep them out then to get them out.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Coyote or wolf urine sprayed around the wheels and anything else that goes to the ground. Traps if it has already moved inside and taken up residence.