cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator auto timer start

PlotCtr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Onan 7000 watt generator and a Surge Guard 41260 transfer box. Transfer box has been acting up so I’d like to replace it. When I replace I’d like to upgrade my system that adds the ability for my generator to start at predetermined times. Any suggestions? Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

PlotCtr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the prompt responses. I have a 2013 Tiffin Allegro OpenRoad 32CA gas power. The inverter is Tripp-Lite RV750ULHW. I have two 6volt wet cell batteries rated 115mins@75amps 216Ah and Cummins Onan Genset 7000 7HGJAB-900K. I’ll do some research on Magnum and Xantrex.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. The Transfer box has nothing to do with a Auto Start system, so replacing it will not be a factor
2. Most Genset Auto Starts, Both Xantrex and Magnum require additional Auto Genset parts to be used in conjunction with the Inverter/Charger if you have one already
3. Onan used to make a standalone Auto Genstart called the Command 30 or close to that name. I do not know if they still offer it or any Auto Genstart system
4. The easiest and cheapest way is to install a Gen Start that uses Battery voltage as the factor in starting the Genset, If you want the AC units to start the Genset, that will get pretty expensive aftermarket with the wiring and updated AC controls that are required for AC to start the Genset.
5. You need to post Year/Brand/Model of RV and what type Inverter/Charger and model of it you have for use to give you more info. Doug

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Generator...”adds the ability for my generator to start at predetermined times.”

Hopefully I’ll never camp next to you...running your generator while you are out and about. Don’t like the noise? Neither do I!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Most high-end inverter systems should offer add-ons to automate the generator.

I only know about the Magnum AGS module. You can program it with quiet hours, set it to start and stop on a schedule or as needed depending on battery charge level.

They have two versions. There's a stand alone with a bunch of dials on it, and a network version that works with the inverter, battery monitor and remote control.

Clicky
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed