cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Poly Welding / Repair Cost

SWFL_FlyFisher
Explorer
Explorer
Background: Found that my new (to me) TT's water tank had a leak at the tank drain. I was hoping it was just a loose fitting but closer inspection revealed a crack in the welded-in fitting that the drain valve threads into.

I pulled the tank figuring I'd just replace it (it needs a good cleaning/sanitizing) but it's not a common shape and I've not had any luck sourcing a replacement (60" wide X 36" long X 4-1/2" tall). Since I wasn't having any luck finding a replacement I figured I'd look into having the crack welded. Found a company out here (SWFL) that specializes in such repairs and got a quote. I was surprised to see that he wants $229 ("plus tax"?). This seems high to me for a crack that's only about an inch or so long and runs about 1/4 to 1/3 the way around the fitting.

Am I wrong here or is that the going rate for such work? I'm looking for more quotes, just haven't found anyone close to me that does it so far.
8 REPLIES 8

SWFL_FlyFisher
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input everyone. The tank is polyethylene as far as I can tell. I had seen Happy Trails webpage, but they're a good 4+ hour drive (each way) from me.

After looking at a few YouTube videos and taking a closer look at the crack, I think that if I can't find a reasonable repair person fairly close by, I'll try the HF "welder" and see how it goes.

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on how wide the crack is you may be able to repair it yourself , I used soldering gun with a flat blade tip on it and melted the plastic back together then put a patch kid over it lasted ten years for us and sure it is still good for the new owners , was a crack where the drain valve threaded into the tank
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
One in my fridge as well. Cuts into nice easy to weld patches too!
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

MrWizard
ancillary info

Arnold Palmer tea .. aka.. Arizona Tea, the A.P. version is Half & Half, 50% tea and 50% lemonade, pre bottled, i really like that stuff, buy it all time
have a bottle in the kitchen right now

good sturdy bottles, i keep an empty around for utility uses, then dispose of as needed and keep the next empty
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
I do that stuff...if you brought me a clean, dry tank, $50 max. He just doesn't want/need the work.

It's not rocket science, like metal welding...good materials and practice.
Try the Harbor Freight kit, proper rods. Practice on a heavy (Arnold Palmer tea) bottle or similar material. You may find a new skill.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

CapnCampn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depending on the plastic type, you might give a diy plastic welding kit a shot - Harbor freight has one for 60-70, it gets mixed reviews.

Or, if you really want a new tank, you might look into getting a custom one made - the magic words to search for are Roto Molding. I had one made at a place about an hour from me - I think I used one of their stock sizes, but was able to specify the locations & sizes of the openings. I don't remember the cost, it was 10 yrs ago or so, but it wasn't so much that I balked at it (and I'm generally "frugal...").

Good luck!
CC

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
What's it made of? I used Plasti-Mend on my black tank (ABS) and it worked great. I had a huge crack on the corner of it. Won't work on polyethylene or polypropylene though there are other solvents that can be used for those plastics.

For ABS: http://www.plasti-mend.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=59
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried Happy trails rv service?
Ocala mobile service.
Not a recommendation, I dont know them but they came up when I searched it.
352 577 2212
Good luck