cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LY318 - Crown GRP31 AGM's?

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
Hey LY, did not want to highjack another thread. But in this thread you commented you were not real pleased with the Crown AGM's?

More info please. You may recall, I had them on my short list for a Starter Battery replacement. Went with one 8D Lifeline instead.

I've read mostly positive feed back on the Wet Crown's, from Solar to Boating community. Even Solar Bob has good things to say about I think the L16's in his home solar system(?).

And as we all know, if I can read it on the internet - it has to be true:)!

Be interested in what you're seeing. (Note, if you posted about this, other then the purchase of them which I did remember and find - sorry about asking on a new thread:)!)

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
9 REPLIES 9

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
LY - Thanks for the additional info on the Crown GRP31's.

MW - So. If I were to put Organic Honey over the posts of my batteries, would that yield a 'sweeter yield of clean power'? After all. If PSW is better then MSW, then for sure SSW would be better then both! (SSW = Sweet Sine Wave.).

Always enjoy both of your posts, some of which I even understand...

Best to you two, and all,
Smitty

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. The Saudis are investing billions to wean their economy away from oil. India though is a tough nut to crack -- slave wages no EPA etc. Would love to see Saudi women gain power by becoming a work force. Afghanistan is said to have quintillions of tons of high grade lead and antimomy.

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
Mex, was at walmart last night. they had a new "economy" branded battery there. Made in sticker... Saudi Arabia. That was a new one on me.
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
99% of commercial honey comes from flowers that never even dream about insecticides, herbicides, fungicides or MSG ๐Ÿ™‚

My mango honey underwent an study in Mexico City to see if the fungicide applied twice per crop showed up.

Without a hot water rinse to the fruit it was something like 11 ppb. Eleven parts per billion.

WITH the wash the Anthracnose fungicide was undetectable.

Unwashed fruit is forbidden to enter the USA. The regulation is strict.

So I have few nine-eyed, flesh eating, vampire honey bees.

ORGANIC is the most abused foodstuff buzzword on earth. The KRAP they spray on your potatoes up there to keep them from sprouting, is disgusting.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
David ... I thought that organic honey was from bees that hung around organic flowers and/or organic fruit trees? Why isn't organic honey worth the extra money? :h and :R
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
1-ply tires run cooler
No refrigeration needed
Never needs sharpening
Organic salt
Naturally carbonated at the spring
Pure Cane Sugar No Corn Syrup
Organic honey
Natural flavors

And Motel 6 stood for $6.00 night not $6.00 extra if you want WiFi

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to see an extreme re charging Amps, how about the Optima NO CURRENT LIMIT rapid charge spec?

Optima wrote:
Maximum voltage 15.6 volts. No current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125ยฐF (51.7ยฐC). Charge until current drops below 1 amp.

You know they are thin plate. Also, they have 750CCA in a 43.5lb package; more evidence of thinness.

Now I use the Eaton 12V 500W AGM UPS which has a 50A/38% max Amps, and Volts do drop more under load. I'm thinking thicker plates. They are 8yo Telco pulls.

Your Northstar behaves like a thin plate. Might be a branded Enersys, like Odyssey and the Sears diehard platinum p-4. Odyssey has a video where they extoll their pure lead thin plate mfgr'ing process.

hth;
John

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Is your engine sick and tired
Want your car to run like new
Automotive Engineering pleases thousands
Why not you?

On the sales receipt

Do not drive faster than 45 mph for the first 500 miles

Should have argued with factory new engines in factory new cars...

Chunky, block plates, thick...

Lifeline

Can be charged at C1 rate

But electrochemistry dogma does not apply there because Lifeline obviously made in an alternate universe.

Build a battery with spongy porous plates and ablation will be more prevalent.

I know East Penn's batteries are made in the USA, but other batteries may be made in Mexico under NAFTA rules, and claimed to be made in USA. Does Trojan (or anyone else) make their AGM batteries 100% in the fifty states?

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
The Crown1 G31 AGMI have, is not mine, I am outfitting a foreign couple's van with a capable electrical system.

I've had it since last Thursday. It read 12.99v on delivery, was made in December.

It took maybee 25 minutes of 14.4v before amps tapered below 0.55, and I disconnected it at 0.34a. 36 hours later unloaded, resting, it read 13.01v.

The voltage it has held when testing the 400 watt inverter, at 465 watts of output was in the mid 11's

when fully charged, The voltage drops to 12.56v under a 50 watt load, but bounces back up over 12.9v within a few minutes, after removing hat load some 5 minutes later.

This AGM battery does not list a CCA figure. I assume it would be quite low if it did..

It could be a pretty good deep cycle battery, but I am used to my Northstar group 27, even at 700+ deep cycles and 50 months of age holding considerably higher voltage during loads, and this skews my performance expectations.

As it is basically brand new, I cannot report on cycle life, only that it does not hold voltage as high as my well used and abused Northstar AGM, whose voltage under load I always have found impressive, at cycle number one and cycle 7XX too.

My yardstick is skewed.

The voltage drop under load could be indicative of thicker denser plates, what one hopes for in a good deep cycle battery. They also say not to recharge it at more than 25% of C/20 rating which might make Mex apoplectic. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I have a 45 amp charger for it(PD9245) and it is getting 4AWG from alternator (+) stud and 4AWG back to engine block, so it will be exceeding the max recomended charging current.

The lower than hoped for voltage under load could also be because the battery is new and not broken in yet. My Northstar when spanking new, would not hold a resting voltage over 13 until drained to 50% and recharged at 25 amps initial current.

The Crown1 AGM group 31 was 255$ with tax and core charge, delivered from San Diego Deepcycle battery.

https://www.wholesalesolar.com/cms/four-star-solar-crown-48-vdc-10-560-wh-with-mnbe-d-enclosure-8-ba...

Based on my own current battery needs, which is dual purpose, starting and deep cycling, I will stick with a Northstar or perhaps an Odyssey for their cycleability and high CCA. The advertised Thin plates have to cut into total achieveable deep cycles, but I am happy with the 700+ I have achieved so far, and when I first got this battery My charging sources were not optimized with manual adjustable voltage, like they are now.

I also want a battery in my rig, that does not list a maximum charge rate, and appears better off for rather huge recharge rates.

In that other thread I did not want to give the impression that the Crown1 AGM g31 is no good. I cannot determine that yet based on voltage under load, only that it does not compared favorably with my dual purpose high CCA Northstar AGM that has 20 fewer AH of capacity and would likely have 400 or more CCA(930) compared to the crown1 which does not list a CCA figure.