Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solar panel install on Winnebago roof

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys,

I sold my 5er and made the move to a class C. I am jumping aboard the prior rental bandwagon and bought a 2017 Winnebago 31K. I pick it up on 2/24/18.

In the meantime I am researching the solar system I want to add. I am curious how those with fiberglass roofs are installing their panels.

Is the fiberglass glued down well enough to only use VHB tape? I would prefer this to drilling more holes, but I don't want to stress the fiberglass.

Thoughts?
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245
6 REPLIES 6

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting idea

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure solar panels on the roof will provide the power you want at a cost you want to spend?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
If you're concerned about hard glass panels lifting your roof off at speed, why not look into flex panels? They are usually peel and stick, fit close to flush, and are only slightly lower output than hard glass panels, in most cases. Winnebago uses ZAMP panels and hardware on some of their newer stuff.
You could send a note to or@winnebago.com and ask your questions, as was suggested.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Hobo_X_2
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link for sticky feet solar mounts: https://www.rvsolarconnection.com/system-components/fixed-flat-solar-module-mounts.htm

I used them on 2 145 watt panels 3 years ago with no problems on a class A Winnebago with fiberglass roof. I used 6 for each panel plus put a screw and sealant on top of screw.
For the answer to strength, I would contact Winnebago in Forest City Iowa. This installation may alter your warranty, something else to think about.

clotus
Explorer
Explorer
I am pretty confident in the tape. My bigger concern is the layer of fiberglass being strong enough to hold without lifting or damaging the roof.

Maybe a better question is: how is the fiberglass roof of a 2017 Winnebago Minnie Winnie installed? Is it strong enough to hold solar panels taped to it?
Current: 2017 Winnebago 31K
(Sold): 5th wheel: 2015 Heartland Sundance XLT 245

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I used 3M 4950 VHB tape on my Winnie. The tape is available from Amazon. AM Solar claims great success with the VHB tape.