Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't buy a Thor product

scotthay71
Explorer
Explorer
Do not buy a Thor product.
We bought a new 2018 Thor Quantum in the fall. When it came in on Nov. 1 there were 8 major problems like a crack all the way across the table, a broken window, 2 dents in the floor, chip paint on the outside, etc. It was taken care of at the dealer and we finally got it and left MA in December. Since then we have had 17 other major problems including 2 times when the refrigerator hasn't work, a tv the doesn't work, water coming into the bathroom and bedroom when I used the black water cleanout system, a stove that had a gas leak. I can go on and on. But Thor response is for us to just keep going back to get service and for us to pay to stay in hotels for a couple of day and pay for our own food, gas etc. In 6 weeks living in the vehicle we have not had 1 day when everything works, and on the several occasions when I call Thor they don't seem to really care beyond a general "sorry to hear that".
38 REPLIES 38

milobramble
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
I purchased used and glad I did, all the bugs were worked out. I would not buy a new motorhome for that reason AND the depreciation hit.

So did I. 2017 with 8,000 miles on it.

DITTO...2014 with 8000 miles.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
I purchased used and glad I did, all the bugs were worked out. I would not buy a new motorhome for that reason AND the depreciation hit.

So did I. 2017 with 8,000 miles on it.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Amen...
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP is gone!This was his first and last post.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
You’re a smart guy/gal. I’d have done so also but wanted the e450 on smallest chassis possible to do the job.

In orange too!

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II

cbigham
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hmm..
Bought a 23u in December, wanted the e450 chassis so it was step up for a 2017 or buy later and get a e350 (without paying premium for the chassis)

Had some minor issues, clearly rig wasn't quality checked before leaving factory. The issues were minor, solvable by me. I called Thor, they were very polite, very helpful, confirmed my repair ideas in writing (email)and scheduled me for service at a repair shop to confirm or redo as needed. Only tuff stuff was getting a shop scheduled. Not easy.

When I was shopping the rig, I initially wanted a forest river 2301 or the 2290 model with the dinnete slide. Model I looked at I could see daylight thru the upper corner of the slide extended and retracted..having had issues with my slide on the 40 ft diesel I sold, never again. From what various techs told me, the Thor box is solid, doesn't have the razzmatazz of fancier stuff but holds up.

Since I've seen ads for so many Thor class c with 100k+ including rentals, there's evidence they hold up and can take the miles; which is what I hope to do.

tundraman67
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 2017 Forest River last April and it was in the shop 115 days last year with issues ranging from a major water leak on the roof (water pouring down from the upper bunk all over the cab), massive condensation inside (which caused the downpour), a generator that would never run, and other various repairs. I swore I would never buy another Forest River, but now that everything is fixed it's running perfectly and given us a couple of months worth of good camping. It was very frustrating and I contacted a lemon law lawyer and was told as long as the dealership and manufacturer are trying their best to correct the issue - you have to put up with the coach and live through the pain of making payments and not using the thing. I've learned through this experience to find a good dealership with an honest service representative and ask them what is the brand they see the most and what issues/returns they have and go from there. I think my next one will be used and probably either Newmar or Tiffin at this point based upon reviews and recommendations from various people.
Tundraman67
2007 Tundra DC 5.7
2017 FR Sunseeker 3010DS

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
I have now owned a few different RV's over the years. New and VERY used. The one that stands out as having the LEAST problems was the Cruise America Class C that I bought with 124,000 miles on it. Ran perfectly without issue inside and out other than tires and problems I caused due to user error. My new 2018 TT had/has over 30 problems I found before I paid for it. Then more problems after the shakedown trip. The dealer has now had my TT longer than I have since buying it.

When I go to dealer lots, I see issues clearly visible in almost every brand and style of new RV. Seems to be acceptable and the unfortunate norm to both (not all of course) dealers and manufacturers. Even some of the ones people claim never has issues. That's life with a rolling boat these days. Sad indeed.

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Thor 24 H/L based on a Sprinter. Its been a good rig for the 8100 miles so far.

These are complicated machines. Its a house, a vehicle, tractor and a generating station going down the road at 65 mph. Add these components together and there are a lot of things that can go wrong, more than the sum of its parts. We have a good dealer who worked through things, nothing "major."

We are satisfied with our Thor. We would still purchase a Thor. We believe its been a good value.

KtigerJ
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of buying a 2017 Four Winds 31E. We've had the unit for several days at our house going through the Non-Winterized items. There are a couple of issues here and there but overall it's good.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I have had two used Thor products so far. The house on my current one is built similar to the Arctic Fox TT I had years ago when you start looking inside of things. Customer support has been excellent when I called them. When I asked where the low point drains were located. They told me where and also sent the plumbing diagram for my rig.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

EdTheEdge
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to make light of the Op's problems but my Thor 2013 22e has been relatively problem free,knock on wood.... I did have a problem with a bent fuel hose on the generator that the dealer could not fix properly so I had it fixed locally. Other than that I have almost 27,000 happy miles on it now.

I would not have left the dealership with the problems the the OP had.
HaRVey - 2013 Thor Chateau 22e

Moose_and_Squir
Explorer
Explorer
We had similar problems with our Chateau 23U. Poor workmanship from the factory and dealer was a PIA to get things fixed.