cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Friction hinge fix

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
For those that hate the "friction hinges" (more like binding hinges..) as much as I do, there is a fix.
I contacted Lippert and they gave me the P/N for the standard (non-binding) replacement hinge. It's LCI P/N 198295 retail $9.95 - Got them from RVupgrades.com. You need two of them; for top and bottom. Middle hinge is normal and can remain.

Naturally they aren't exactly right:

New left, old on right

The new hinges are not drilled on the door-frame side. Rather than try to line up the new hinges with old holes, I simply drilled new ones in different places. The pic above was taken after I drilled the holes.

To remove the old hinges you have to grind the heads off the solid rivets and drive them inward with a punch. Then you can remove the single screw in each hinge "tab" and the screws at the edge of the door and the screen door. After that the hinge will fall off.

I did one hinge at a time so the other two hold everything in place. Because the hinges were slightly different in their mounting locations, I ended up with a few holes to fill. I just used some screws I painted white to hide the evidence.
I used stainless steel pop rivets to replace the solid rivets.

Here's the original hinge:

And the new improved hinge:

While I was at it I adjust the screen door so it didn't grind at the top. The main door also touched slightly but with the new hinges, they don't touch at all.
After adjusting the strikers and latches, the door works better than ever.
It took about 90 minutes and was well worth the effort to me. I probably could have modified the old hinges but why bother when the new parts are this cheap.
Hope this helps anyone interested in fixing their own binding hinges.

Cheers,
Scott
11 REPLIES 11

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
My daughter/SIL's new Forest River trailer has the "friction" hinges. They like them so far (although they've only been camping twice), but I hate them. Realistically, they are nothing more than a way for the manufacturer to save 50 cents per trailer by not installing a door catch.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't even know friction hinges were a thing. Good idea maybe, but bad execution. To make such a thing that worked well would be quite expensive, I'm sure.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
papachaz57 wrote:
So I know this is an older thread, but a question here before I start a new thread about these awful hinges. Turns out the friction is caused by them putting โ€œdimplesโ€ in the hinges to put pressure on the pins.

Would lightly drilling the dimples out do away with the friction? These are horrible, I would much rather install a door hold than have to fight to open and close the doors

You just might have the easy fix there.

papachaz57
Explorer
Explorer
So I know this is an older thread, but a question here before I start a new thread about these awful hinges. Turns out the friction is caused by them putting โ€œdimplesโ€ in the hinges to put pressure on the pins.

Would lightly drilling the dimples out do awsy with the friction? These are horrible, I would much rather install a door hold than have to fight to open and close the doors

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I must be the only one that likes my friction hinge, the one on my truck camper has worked flawlessly for years.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Thanx....will keep these in mind.....have not had a problem with friction hinges yet...
cpaulsen

MrWizard
Thanks for this post
These are going on my shopping list
And my "do" list

I've already done a "make do" repair on the screen door part of the top most hinge
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Rockinfigs
Explorer
Explorer
These friction hinges suck.. I hate em hard to close my door n the hinges already bent from the hinges being so tight making my door not lined up w the frame.
2019 Ford f350 cclb 6.7 diesel black sports package
2020 eclipse attitude 3218mm
2014 rzr 4 800

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the info on those tough to use new entrance doors.

As soon as we are back from our trip down south, it will be on our shopping list.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have one broken hinge on my Screen.. Thanks.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I have encountered these at RV shows, and suspected they would be less than useful in the real world.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP