Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Side emitting LED bulb?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Not RV related per-se...

Any suggestions for a 120 volt A19 (standard) LED bulb, 100w or greater equivalent, that is side emitting, rather than top emitting?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
13 REPLIES 13

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Neither the 15w or 30w corn ordered fit in the fixture, they're just too tall.

I'll make the hour drive to home Depot and see about a halogen bulb of some sort.

docj
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
Found this site which has side-emitting LED in some pretty high wattages.
LED lights

FWIW it appears that the same (or similar) bulbs are sold by Home Depot with wattages as high as 500W. 500W LED bulb
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Found this site which has side-emitting LED in some pretty high wattages.
LED lights
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. Cree A19 bulbs are quite omni-directional, but only go to 75W equivalent. Home Depot has 'em.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
cree edison base bubls emit very much like a regular incandescent, unlike many cheaper LED bulbs that are more to emitting.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to any supermarket They all have standard 120 volt LED's that work just like a regular xx Watt Incandescent lamp Even have a "Bulb" Shape

You can get them in other shapes and bases as well. Though I do not (At this time) have any here (I have a screw in Florcesent (one) that when it dies I will LED it) I have installed several in a friend's house.. Good light and I doubt this charming young lady will live long enough to need to replace them (nothing morbid here. She is over 60, and those lamps last a long, long time)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Conservatively, LED draws 4 times less energy than incandescent bulb of the same brightness (lumens). Some say it's 5 times less. 20W should put you in the ballpark. Get 30W if you're in doubt.

Brands are disappearing now. Standing out and being different is against the very spirit of great 2,000,000,000 people nation. Cree used to be a big name in LED - sold. Didn't know that Philips corporation was still making something.

Better Ebay sellers will rate in lumens as well, for 100W equivalent it should be ~1500 lumens. Ebay is such a big zoo, ratings of any kind are not reliable. I and others here had a luck with 12V lights from this Ebay seller, he's got 115V bulbs too: LED 2010.
There could be dozens of other that are more-less reliable.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
They do look cool, basic led strip light, inside a plastic tube, made to look like a compact fluorescent.

I'm suspicious of their ratings because how would that design get rid of 16 watts let alone 40 watts of heat. The corn style are sketchy enough ๐Ÿ™‚

Ordered a super cheap corn and a moderate priced corn from Jeff - will see whats what in a few days!

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
these are interesting Spiral Bulb

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
shastagary wrote:
are you saying that this type of bulb does not put out enough light from the sides? led bulb i am using a lot of the 60w equivalent ones i get at dollar tree store for a dollar each and am very happy with them especially in multi bulb fixtures and garage door openers.

yes that is correct. the typical LED bulb has all the leds on a plate, shining up towards the plastic dome. sure the dome glows and sends some light out the sides, but the majority continues up. which in my fixture is right into the metal cap of the fixture.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
are you saying that this type of bulb does not put out enough light from the sides? led bulb i am using a lot of the 60w equivalent ones i get at dollar tree store for a dollar each and am very happy with them especially in multi bulb fixtures and garage door openers.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
corn led, interesting! I will search for one made by a brand I recognize. So much hyperbole in the ratings for these things.

I have a bare 14 watt module from Philips, 2000 lumens, but finding a way to mount, cool and power it inside the existing fixture is proving difficult.

Thanks for the tip Almot

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably not related to Technology, either :)... Looks more like Technical or DIY forum. The term "technology" in the last 10-15 years has been (mis)appropriated by anything IT. Blame semi-literate writers and consumers. IT = Information Technology, but this is too long, difficult to remember, too much stress on brain, so let's cut the "information" off...

I think what you need is called "corn" LED. Something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/E27-led-light-bulb-5730-SMD-chip-led-corn-lamp-120v-220v-24leds-136leds-lam...

100W equivalent would be ~20W LED.