cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Experiences and comparisons on roadside service plans

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer
The header says it. FMCA, AAA, GS, Coachnet... others? Comments?

If there's a forum for this I missed it --pls redirect!

Thanks!

Rich
1999 Coachmen Santara Class C -- 24-foot
Ford V10
10 REPLIES 10

rich85704
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, all. I stopped by my insurance agent, and road service on the RV is covered by my auto insurance ... towing, flat tire, breakdown, etc. In all 50 states and Canada. And yes, it's counted as a claim, but they don't bump my rate until 2-3 claims in the same year. It's State Farm, BTW. In essence, I'm already paying for this. Is there some subtle issue I'm missing?

R
1999 Coachmen Santara Class C -- 24-foot
Ford V10

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent insight into the pitfalls of the insurance game, from the RV perspective. Thanks beemerphile and guidry.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:

Understand that if you use your current vehicle insurance company that any use of roadside assistance can be designated as a claim later when shopping for another vehicle insurance company. I found out the hard way.

It varies by insurance company but this is a true statement.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Most insurance companies now have a roadside service rider for your RV. When I had a 2000 Thor Hurricane I had insurance thru Progressive and as I remember the coverage cost about $48 a year. I had to use their service once and Progressive did a good job, but the tow service took their sweet time for a variety of excuses given. Fortunately we were at a state park and no one was scheduled for the spot we were in. Anyway Iโ€™d use them again.

Right now we have a new motorhome still under Fordโ€™s 5 year RSS coverage so Iโ€˜m sticking with it. When it runs out if I still have the mh iโ€™ll Opt for the Progressive coverage.

Understand that if you use your current vehicle insurance company that any use of roadside assistance can be designated as a claim later when shopping for another vehicle insurance company. I found out the hard way.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
My plan is free with membership in the AMA (American Motorcyclist Association). They will tow motorcycles, cars, trucks, motorhomes, travel trailers, you name it. It is limited to 30 miles but the most expensive part of a tow is the hook, additional mileage isn't expensive.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam Roadside recently changed their policy for motorhome support/service. You have to buy a Platinum plan to get motorhome coverage. The old basic plan only covers towables. Still no answers about whether people who prepaid several years of coverage in advance at the old rate, will automatically get upgraded to Platinum by Good Sam Roadside.
FYI.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
In 6yrs.of RVing, including 3 trips from Ga. to Ca. I used nothing but Progressive. Only used them 1 time was very well pleased. Traveled in a 36 ft. class A.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Someone related a story here about a massive road hazard problem. A bunch of cars, trucks and RVs ran through a load of metal dropped on the road and got flat tires. The RVs all had different RSA plans and the same provider showed up for all 3.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
AAA - they will tow you anywhere you want to go. You will pay beyond a certain amount. That amount is based on the miles and the type of tow truck required.

Coachnet/Good Sam - they will tow you to the closest contracted repair shop once they get an acceptance from the shop.

So, they operate in different ways. AAA is great if you're in an area you are familiar with and/or on holidays and weekends. This is because they only need to find a tow truck - not a repair shop. Finding a repair shop is up to you.

Coachnet/Good Sam is better if you are in an unfamiliar area as they will locate a repair shop for you.

However, on a holiday or weekend, you may have a long wait while the operator tries to make contact with a repair shop as they will not send out a tow until they have gotten a repair shop confirmed.

For the cost, I find that having both the AAA and one of the others is well worth it as you will be able to get help from one or the other.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most insurance companies now have a roadside service rider for your RV. When I had a 2000 Thor Hurricane I had insurance thru Progressive and as I remember the coverage cost about $48 a year. I had to use their service once and Progressive did a good job, but the tow service took their sweet time for a variety of excuses given. Fortunately we were at a state park and no one was scheduled for the spot we were in. Anyway Iโ€™d use them again.

Right now we have a new motorhome still under Fordโ€™s 5 year RSS coverage so Iโ€˜m sticking with it. When it runs out if I still have the mh iโ€™ll Opt for the Progressive coverage.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT