cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outer banks, Hatteras Resort or KOA

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Open to other suggestions as well, but have looked at both of these for location and price, and am leaning toward Hatteras Resort over KOA. Any info or opinions welcome. Trip is end of July, beginning of August, dates not concrete yet. KOA seems way over priced. Thanks for any help, folks.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH
9 REPLIES 9

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the Frisco NP CG is the one I think it is skeeters the size of field mice will be your biggest problem. The area is left natural for the most part, and it is a ghost town in high season for a reason other than the lack of hook ups. We rolled thru in late July 2017 and there were maybe 4 campers in the whole place.
I just mapped it, it is the one I was thinking of. Early spring or late fall would be the best times to go.
Puma 30RKSS

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
RGar974417 wrote:
If you can live without hookups, we liked the Frisco National Park Campground. With the geezer pass, $13 a night. Nice big sites. Nice beach. Store and gas right outside the entrance.Close to free ferry to Oracoke Island.

I really lilke this idea, the family...not so much. If they at least had electric, we'd be fine. But having to run the generator for AC would probably be an issue. It's very quiet when idling for charging the battery and running the pump, but almost full load in the heat of the day gets old. It's a Kipor 3000 and is pretty quiet overall. Just rather not have to drag it along and deal with gas, etc.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
One of the more popular topics here.

Thread

Thread

Thread

Thread

Thread

Thread

Thanks for the links. Believe it or not, I did a few searches and didn't come up with much. Not sure why.
Sunset Creek 298 BH

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
If you can live without hookups, we liked the Frisco National Park Campground. With the geezer pass, $13 a night. Nice big sites. Nice beach. Store and gas right outside the entrance.Close to free ferry to Oracoke Island.

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed there for the past, maybe 8 years, usually twice a year --- June and October/November.
We like to stay out of Hurricane season and it is much better down there where it is off peak. It can really get crowded.

The KOA is nice and they will work with you on just about anything.

Enjoy

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at Camp Hatteras the last 2 years and are going back next year. Love the campground and especially the staff.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Frisco Woods camp nov. 10- dec. 1/17 we had our portabote for fishing the sound, 5 minute drive access to the Atlantic beaches past Billy Williams airport.
Choose a site on the canal or on the sound waterfront. C 10 suited us. Enjoy the sunsets over Pamlico sound, watch or join the kite boarders.
A bit farther down the OB gets you out of the crowds, to better beaches and fishing.

To drive on the beach you have to buy a pass available at several nfps locations on the OB. Do follow recommendations to lower your tire pressures Soft sand needs soft tires.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stayed at the KOA and would stay there again. Have not stayed at the other one. KOAโ€™s are always more expensive especially if you donโ€™t need all their services.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
One of the more popular topics here.

Thread

Thread

Thread

Thread