cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Parks around Moab and Kanab Utah

Navy_Smoker
Explorer
Explorer
We are making our final plans to visit southern Utah this September. We will be leaving Maryland the Tuesday after Labor Day and expect to take 6 days getting to Moab. After taking 2-3 days visiting Arches and Canyon Land NPs, we will move aver to Kanab and spend 4-5 days seeing Bryce Canyon, Zion and Capitol Reef NPs. Our next stop will be Flagstaff, AZ for seeing the Grand Canyon before heading home. In all the trip is planned for 30 days leaving ample time to wander about the I70 and I40 corridors on the trip.

We are asking for personal recommendations RV parks you have used in the Moab and Kanab areas. We don't need an "RV resort" but would like places with full hook-ups, level sites, clean comfort stations and places to walk our two dogs.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Bill
Bill (CDR, USN (Ret))& Kathleen (retired homemaker)
Mingo & Maverick (Aussie Shepherds)
2016 Winnebago Vista
Competition BBQ Team Leader
19 REPLIES 19

Cin01bob
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip west as well and will be leaving South Florida in mid April. Being big on planning ahead I always make reservations at campgrounds before we leave. We have been to Utah twice in the past and have never had a problem finding a place to stay. This year the campgrounds are filling up early so I might suggest you call and ask how busy they typically are during the time you plan to be there. Also, , the webiste http://www.rvparkreviews.com is my bible when considering campgrounds. The reviews are written by campers that have stayed in the parks and I find the reviews to be honest and very helpful. ie: we drive a 42 foot class A MH. A campground website said big rig friendly but several reviews stated if you're over 38 feet don't even try it.
Hope you find some of this helpful. The midwest is amazing.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
F-TROUP wrote:
We like Archview RV park, out of the rat race in Moab, lots of trails to walk the kids.

We stayed here too and liked it. Dirt, but not a problem in the dry weather.

x2! Very close to Arches National Park, and Canyonlands NP. And also close to "Canyonlands at night" river cruise. Nice twilight cruise with a great light show
Proud father of a US Marine

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Navy Smoker wrote:
First, I have searched the bulletin boards and am still feel out of my element. For background, we've crossed the US 13 times over my naval career but never found the time to stop and really see our country (average travel time was 5 days). I have finally convinced my wife travel from Maryland to Utah in June 2017 to see the major National Parks and Iโ€™m looking for help in planning a route.

The basic plan is to go West on I70 past Denver and then down to Moab from where we will make day trips to Canyonland and Arches. We want to go to Bryce Canyon, Zion and the Grand Canyon from there and return East on I40. I need help in planning a route and campgrounds/RV parks from Moab to Flagstaff, AZ through these parks. We are planning on 5 weeks for the total trip.

Any suggestions for routes and places to stay will be greatly appreciated! I need this trip to go smooth so that I can convince her to go to the Pacific Northwest in 2018.

We will be driving a 32 ft. Class A towing a Jeep Liberty and travelling with 2 Australian Shepherds.

Thanks,
Bill

Navy Smoker wrote:
We are making our final plans to visit southern Utah this September. We will be leaving Maryland the Tuesday after Labor Day and expect to take 6 days getting to Moab. After taking 2-3 days visiting Arches and Canyon Land NPs, we will move aver to Kanab and spend 4-5 days seeing Bryce Canyon, Zion and Capitol Reef NPs. Our next stop will be Flagstaff, AZ for seeing the Grand Canyon before heading home. In all the trip is planned for 30 days leaving ample time to wander about the I70 and I40 corridors on the trip.

We are asking for personal recommendations RV parks you have used in the Moab and Kanab areas. We don't need an "RV resort" but would like places with full hook-ups, level sites, clean comfort stations and places to walk our two dogs.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Bill,

You have already received a wealth of info in this post, and likely the info I give will be just overload - but your story and mine are similar but oh so different, so I'll add my limited insight. At the end of this will be a number of links that will expose you to more info to help with the trip.

I'm a Navy Jr. and before I had graduated from High School, I had been Coast to Coast 11 times, Dad a Navy Capt. in Submarines, difference was, it was always an Adventure when we made these trips, we would make every effort to stop at National Parks and old Friends as we relocated to the other Coast, so at least I saw much of the country and many of the National Parks, the travel Seeds were planted early, and have grown into a Large Tree.

The Internet is Filled with info, so read and use as much as you can, it helps to know more than the bare minimum, as there is just so much to see and do, and to miss these sites is just a shame, as many are just off the road from where you will travel.

Sorry but I am really not much help with Camp Grounds - as we generally go somewhere, and will stay anywhere.(Think Wal*Mart - Driveways - Boondocking - Stadiums - and yes RV Resorts) the point is that it's the Journey, along with the Destination that make this RV thing FUN. These things have Generators and Tanks to hold what you need, so you can Stay ANYWHERE, just remember that, IMHO that makes the trip Easy. Keep the fuel and Propane FULL and go, generally you will survive for the few days needed.

As I have a son in Colorado and have made this trip from Maryland and Back close to 30 times, maybe more, this is the route I have found is Easiest, most Fun. Translated - not a difficult drive - less traffic - fewer trucks - good roads (well RT 36 in Eastern Colorado may challenge that - not the best road but doable) Bing Map - route out - https://binged.it/2B7NDs9

Not for me to Plan your TRIP but will try to expose some of the many options available to make it just Fun.

Golden - is just Fun - Hard to get into the city CG but possible, and well worth the effort. (Closest RV Park to the Granddaughters)

RT 6 out of Golden is the Welcome to Colorado - Is a Beautiful, easy drive to Idaho Springs following Clear Creek, then on I-70.

Tunnel is easy - just don't get carried away going Down Hill - gear down and stay with the Big Trucks.

Optional drive to Leadville I-70 to RT 91 - then on Rt 24 through Camp Hale/Red Cliff/Minturn before catching I-70 again. Just a Beautiful drive into some of the Colorado Back High country.

Then on through Glenwood Springs - Over Under I-70 often called the Most Beautiful part of the Interstate Highways system, Pictures, pull off, enjoy the Colorado River, lunch or coffee.

I-70 into Utah, jump off at Exit 214? to RT 128 along the Colorado River to Moab - My all time favorite Beautiful Drive.

Then your trip should begin - In Utah the State parks are worth the Effort to see, stay in, (Goblins/Kodachrome/Escalante) the National Parks we have always stayed in them to see them, IMHO there is not a bad road to be driven on this route. RT 12 is a Must.

Get up Early, September is still warm but usually will be starting to cool off - still when the sun is high it is usually warm, so plan accordingly.

Talk to the people at the desk when you stay in a Camp Ground - they will gladly share info on the secrets in the area, and trust me there are Many.

Just a few of the many links to info that may help,

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29448394.cfm

https://lynn.smugmug.com/Travel/Colorado-Mountains-and-Aspens/i-tsVRkXg

https://www.dangerous-business.com/2016/04/mighty-5-utahs-top-national-parks/

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29227506/gotomsg/29227677.cfm#29227677

http://www.pbase.com/sparker1/root%26view=tree

As usual I've gotten carried away - Hope this is not just too much but ......Sooooooooooo Much to see and never enough TIME.

If you can add a couple weeks you will not be sorry.

If you can find a Way to be in the Mountains of Colorado the last week of September you will not be Disappointed - as the Aspen are usually only at their peak fo less than a week, and IMHO there is nothing else like it in the World.

Hope this helps, Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I did Bryce and Zion via the toad and stayed at a koa? half way between them.
bumpy

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
Portal RV Park in Moab,very nice and convenient.
X2 on not trying to do the other 3 from Kanab,too much driving. We also liked the convenience of Trailer Village at Grand Canyon. If Mesa Verde NP not too far off your route on the way home we very much enjoyed it (@Cortez,Co). Train ride at Durango fun also.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
djsamuel wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
We did 5 days at the Spanish Trail RV Park last April and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is just a couple of miles south of downtown Moab right on 191 with all of the amenities you seek. There is a good restaurant right across the highway, you can easily walk over and the food was excellent though the name escapes me. :h Keep in mind that reservations are always a good idea in Moab.

Sounds like a great trip, enjoy!

:C

Would agree with the Spanish Trail experience. Is the restaurant you mention Susie's Branding Iron (http://www.susiesbrandingiron.com/)?

That sounds about right. It was straight across 191 from Spanish Trail, be very careful and then hurry when you cross.

:E

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to consider Kodachrome Basin State Park near Bryce. Some full hookup sites, lots of hiking trails & beautiful scenery.

Another state park worth looking at is Dead Horse Point outside of Moab. Electric only sites, and no water (fill up in Moab). The view from the point can't be beat. If you dry camp, Horsechief BLM Campground is a little closer to Moab.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
Can't help directly with RV parks as we stay at NPS or BLM CG's. But wouldn't advise using Kanab as a base to see Zion, Bryce, and Capitol Reef NPs. With typical delays at the tunnel, Zion will be 1 1/2 hours each way (3 hours every day), Bryce close to two hours (four hours of commuting), and Capitol Reef well over 3 hours each way (probably over seven hours of driving). I'd try to stay closer to each of these parks so you can see them rather than the windshield as you go to and from them.

We explored southern Utah from a location 1/2 way between Kanab and Page, AZ at Paria River Ranch (then named Copper Cloud Ranch).

Overall, we liked the stay but found the drive to get to everything wore us out. I would absolutely do what 4runnerguy says and would stay a couple of days closer to each park vs. thinking you can drive to each.

F-TROUP wrote:
We like Archview RV park, out of the rat race in Moab, lots of trails to walk the kids.

We have stayed at Archview RV Park and at OK RV Park in Moab. Archiview was nicer and more scenic but more expensive. The nice part about Archview is that it is north of Moab and seemed more convenient to get to most things than when we were at OK RV Park.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ThomBoles
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in a small park right in Kanab this past summer: Kanab RV Corral. We enjoyed it. We were able to walk to downtown and get to Bryce, Zion and the GC North Rim all within a couple hours. We'd go back.
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Desert Captain wrote:
We did 5 days at the Spanish Trail RV Park last April and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is just a couple of miles south of downtown Moab right on 191 with all of the amenities you seek. There is a good restaurant right across the highway, you can easily walk over and the food was excellent though the name escapes me. :h Keep in mind that reservations are always a good idea in Moab.

Sounds like a great trip, enjoy!

:C

Would agree with the Spanish Trail experience. Is the restaurant you mention Susie's Branding Iron (http://www.susiesbrandingiron.com/)?

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good advice. From our travels to the Utah NPs, stay closer and move around to give your self more time to visit each park and less driving. Each park is unique and worthy of a few days visit to them. Check the NP websites for programs that might interest you such as:
At Bryce, dark skies program with telescopes to view the stars.
At Zion, various Ranger led programs and hikes. Recommend you arrive early at Zion to get a parking spot in the park.
At Grand Canyon, we prefer the North Rim but the main emphasis on the North Rim is great overlooks and hiking. We were at the North Rim in Sept 21-23 2017 it snowed and was very brisk -- with great Aspen tree color.
Enjoy your trip!

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Navy Smoker wrote:

I'd recommend taking the extra days of wandering around the I-70/I-40 corridors and adding those days to the southern Utah parks. Or... just plan to add more days for your trip.

I'd then recommend that you stay in or near each one. Your plan to do Bryce, Zion and Capitol Reef from one base involves a LOT of time and driving. You won't begin to have time to enjoy the parks.

From Moab make your way to Torrey for an RV park to visit Capitol Reef.

Then take Hwy 12 to Bryce and stay at Ruby's just outside the park entrance. The free park shuttle stops there.

For Zion you might look around Glendale instead of Kanab. It'll be a little closer to Zion. Kanab really doesn't have nice RV parks.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/utah/glendale

If you're planning Grand Canyon South Rim take Hwy 89 to 64 and come into the park from the east. No need to go all the way to Flagstaff. Try to get a site at Trailer Village in the national park itself. You'll enjoy it so much better than commuting.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
When we're in the Kanab area, we drive a little further and stay at Kaibab Camper Village at Jacob Lake. It's still within good driving distance of Zion, Kolob Canyon, doable driving distance to Bryce, and close to the North Rim of the GC. This is a great RV park for walking the dogs. A lot of central roads and you can walk outside the park too.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
F-TROUP wrote:

We stayed here too and liked it. Dirt, but not a problem in the dry weather.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton