Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement for Memorex DVD player

ginagary
Explorer
Explorer
Posted: 01/13/18 10:09am Link | Quote | Edit | Print | Notify Moderator
We have a Memorex DVD player Model STS71E-R in our 2007 Winnebago Journey. The DVDs tray will not open when I push the eject button. I cannot find a manual eject hole to push either.
Any suggestions on what to replace it with? It has all the wires for the speakers for the surround sound plugged into the back.
4 REPLIES 4

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same DVD/Surround system in my 2007 Journey and just finished the replacement yesterday due to the same issue with the tray refusing to come out. For a while we could take off the tray door and with pulling and using the eject button get it to come out, but finally it just refused to eject no matter what, thankfully when no DVD was in it. I choose to get a receiver and separate DVD player.

Most receivers are quite tall and would not fit in the space height available, but I found this highly rated Pioneer slim receiver model VSX-S520 that fit with so much height to spare I could have set the new player on top of it, but decided to mount that in a separate cabinet. This receiver supports all the most modern technology including WIFI, 3D & 4K video, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Audio-Component-Receiver-VSX-S520/dp/B01LWPQFFF/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1524407904&sr=1-3&keywords=pioneer+slim+receiver

I bought a Samsung BluRay/DVD/CD player that supports the same. Wired the two with one HDMI cable. I did have to change the RCA Connection wires from TV to receiver with one HDMI cable. All other connections, other than the AM Antenna, which I don't care about, were direct changeover from the old player/receiver to the new receiver.

While a more costly solution than the OP's at around $400 for everything, if my TV goes in the future, I'll have the input devices in place to support all the new TV functions available.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

ginagary
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up buying an inexpensive DVD player with RCA connections and plugged it into the back of the Memorex. The Memorex functions as the receiver and the new DVD player sits beside it.
Thanks for all the suggestions

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
First, the sound system. How many wires? Is the sound output optical, mini plug, or RCA, left and right channels? I make an assumption that the DVD is using a HDMI cable for picture/sound to the TV. Most New DVD (Blu-ray) players have only HDMI and sound output in the form of optical. Does the sound system have multi-inputs for the sound signal? If your sound system had multiple inputs you will be able to get almost any player as a replacement.
Wildmanbaker

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Duplicate thread?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed