Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: State Park Stay Limitations-how to deal?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> State Park Stay Limitations-how to deal?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

14 day limit means 14 day and then get out

That means you pack up and leave so that someone else can use the facility/park

We FTd for 7 yrs and moved weekly/bi-monthly traveling to a new location within 250 miles so that we could explore that area and then move on
Our whole idea of FTng was to 'travel'

We used State/National Parks, City Parks, Fairgrounds, BLM/Boondocking and even private parks.
Abiding by the 'rules/restrictions/limitations' that were in effect because they applied to us/others---everybody.

Want to stay longer in a particulate area.........then move every 14 days to another park OR stay at a public/private CG and pay a 'monthly fee'

Well said. Given this is your first post, welcome, but don't look for approval of gaming the system.

Do you have any experience RVing? What are your plans for water and sewer while you're spending unlimited time on BLM land?

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

johnhicks

Wandering below the Gnat Line

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Staying w/e fulltime park-to-park even for roughly $1000/mo+ is getting a bit preposterous.

State parks are not intendended for residency. Simple as that. You'll need to go to private parks; some will be small and tight and some will be "resorts" and priced accordingly.

-jbh-
CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynndann wrote:

Hello, we would like to retire with our rv full-time. We plan to stay in state/national parks and on federal lands such as BLM, state forests, etc. and do not plan on using any private campgrounds or rv parks.

Our question to all of you is this: How do you deal with the stay limitations of most state and national parks? I can't imagine picking up and moving every 14 days. We would like to stay in a lot of places for more than that time.

I know some people "pick up" and go down the street to another location and then come back, but I can't imagine doing that or how unsettling it must be to have to keep moving and hope there's a spot, then come back. That doesn't seem relaxing at all.

Please let us know how you full timers handle this particular issue, we would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

If you don't want to move, then why get an RV?

You do realize that state and national parks cost as much, sometimes more, than private parks? That weekly rates at a private park are usually pay for 6, get one day free (sometimes pay for 5, get one day free) and monthly costs are usually 2.5 times the weekly rate.

Another thing to consider would be to use membership parks where you can get a lot of 2 week stays at 0-3 per night out of pocket expenses for $500 a year dues (Thousand Trail zone passes). Other systems have different out of pocket expenses and dues, but you can really save money if you know how to work the systems. But all are based on moving every couple of weeks or so.

BTW - most state parks are all reserved by January 2nd for days from Memorial Day through Labor Day.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
Mischief (2004 Subaru Forester Toad) ">
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

centerline

Salem OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it depends on the park.... some parks are remote with very little traffic. so you can usually stay a bit longer without worry. BUT, when attempting to do this, DONT take the nice, premium spaces, but use the less desirable spots and no one will even notice that you are overstaying the limits.... when you are camped out for weeks in the best spot in the park, someone WILL report you...

all parks have a limit, but in the less busy areas the rangers realize that people can stay in the area for a long time by just moving to the other park down the road, and if its not busy they wont usually bother to make you do this just to satisfy the "rules"... if they arent busy, you keep a nice clean campsite and a low profile they usually give a bit of grace and overlook your check-in date...

when working in an area, we have always looked for the remote campgrounds, and have stayed there for months at a time, with the blessing of the rangers, as were werent attempting to take advantage, but only using a couple spaces that werent in demand by other campers..

in busy parks, its just not ok to even try to overstay the limit...

2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you left out one option: Buy a new RV every 14 days. Problem solved. (Maybe you will need to get a new identity, too).

bucky

Bunn NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a friend that served as a host/maintenance guy at a state park for 6 years. It closed for a few months in the winter but they let him stay in the park as they were having so much trouble getting volunteers even with the freebies.
As someone said there are no length of stay discounts at state or federal parks. A month at a FL state park now is ~$850. There are lots of private parks in FL with monthly rates well below that and they have full hookups.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs. It pulls better than Marcell Ledbetter's mule.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/18 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

I have a friend that served as a host/maintenance guy at a state park for 6 years. It closed for a few months in the winter but they let him stay in the park as they were having so much trouble getting volunteers even with the freebies.
As someone said there are no length of stay discounts at state or federal parks. A month at a FL state park now is ~$850. There are lots of private parks in FL with monthly rates well below that and they have full hookups.

As pointed out by Donn0128, park hosting allows longer stays with time to visit and learn the area. Different states deal with it differently. To the post above, we are currently hosting in a closed for the winter park. We are both security and maintenance, we easily put in the expected 20 hours of work each, in our weeks (40 hours per couple in Oregon). Can't beat the site Ocean front Host site.

[image]

* This post was edited 01/13/18 09:16am by rhagfo *

Russ & Paula
The Beagles Precious, and Belle.
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,RV 275's Bilstein 5100's, 311K miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360# GCVW 20,500#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

FunnyCamper

Southeastern

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

same. play the camping game at state and fed parks is all one can do [emoticon]
not a bad thing in any way at all!

ljr

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m a “most” timer that only stays in state, county and municipal parks. I move every couple weeks over the summer then head south where stay limits are extended at many parks during the off season.

Larry

Lynndann

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/18 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for your replies. It was particularly helpful to know about the reservation system and how far in advance some parks need that information as they are popular and full. Also thank you for the idea of camp hosting and volunteering, we will be sure to look into that, I love volunteering for good causes. I have never seen violators get away with such inconsiderate actions for our beautiful public lands for long! Considering that my hubby is a Wilderness First Responder and Firefighter for the National Forest Service I don't think we'd have a problem writing these people up. ; ) Sounds like traveling a little more frequently between stops will do the trick and I've seen some senior campgrounds as low as $300/month with utilities included which is not bad. I am disabled so I would get a discount using my disability senior National Park Pass which will help us with costs and retirement budget. I will look into all of your helpful responses. Thank you so much.! Happy Traveling, we hope to join you all in this wonderful adventure soon! What a great forum, thank you. : )

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> State Park Stay Limitations-how to deal?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS