Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Repairs and Maintence
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Repairs and Maintence

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Blutoyz

Warwick, RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billy1davis wrote:

I have found that while I am shopping for owner sales of Motorhomes that here is always a long list of repairs that they have done over the time they have owned it and adds up to quite a tidy sum of money and this is even more when it is a DP. It scares me off from buying such.

The reason I bought my 20yo rig was the number of items that were less than a couple of years old. I figured it was one less thing that I had to worry about.

I saw it as a positive

She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

billy1davis

usa

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the useful thoughts already posted. Of course I now I have to pay to play. This is not my first rodeo. We have had many RV's. I am very interested in the experience of those that have had Class A's for awhile and what they are seeing in ownership cost.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/18 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billy1davis wrote:

I have found that while I am shopping for owner sales of Motorhomes that here is always a long list of repairs that they have done over the time they have owned it and adds up to quite a tidy sum of money and this is even more when it is a DP. It scares me off from buying such.

would you be scared off from buying a home where the owner lists the repairs and upgrades?

yes, you will have maintenance bills...routine and unexpected. if you can do some or all yourself it will be less expensive. even with the problems we've had (virtually all of which can be traced right back to shoddy workmanship or c***py parts from suppliers) I'm amazed that modern RVs hold up as well as they do give the generally poor state of American roads. the solution is to properly budget for maintenance.

if you're going deep into debt to buy the RV it will not be a pleasant experience...more so when you factor in maintenance. IMO the key is to either pay cash or put enough down so that you remain right-side up on the loan for the expected life of the RV you choose.

if you're thinking of getting one of those insurance policies I'd think again. those policies are designed to separate most of the buyers from their money. do a few people make out? sure, but the vast majority don't. take whatever that policy costs and put it in the bank as seed money for a maintenance and repair fund. then add $X each month to that fund and use it only for repairs and maintenance. we've been doing that for 31-years now and have a healthy balance in our M&R Fund.

good luck.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

I have found that there is a correlation between how much it cost new, to how much was spent on repairs.

Not sure I agree with this. I'm going on 14 years (bought a middle of the $$$$ DP at 6 months old) and other than one set of tires, 2nd set of batteries, LED TVs, and the refrigerator everything else is original. Yes, I've made some upgrades like AGM batteries, LED light bulbs and newer Sat dish...not a long list and not that much money. Granted I do my own repairs/maintenance/upgrades and do not buy into most of the things RVers think you have to do...oil change every year, new tires at 5-6 years.
Today there is no reason to buy a 6 month old DP, but back then quad slides were new...not any more. Now if you want to add in depreciation...$$$$$$$ or you can stay on the porch.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45'
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
Where am I?
How I spend the winter.

WILDEBILL308

FORT WORTH , TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billy1davis wrote:

And the correlation is??????? More spent on the new purchase means more was spent on Maint?

I think what he is saying is if you buy a quality coach over an entry level coach it should hold up better.
“you will also find in this forum that most of the folks that say that oil changes, etc. are not much more than a gasser, fess up that they do much of the maintenance work themselves.
bumpy”
This goes directly back to “How much work/maintence can you do verse taking to some one for every little thing” I do nearly all my own work/maintenance. Yes it is more expensive for a diesel but not that bad. You have a couple extra filters. My oil change/lube is Yearly or 15,000 miles. Gas coaches (depending on year /motor) yearly or? I have heard the new Ford’s are at 7500 miles?? I don’t know but if driven 15000 a year that would be 2 oil/filter changes to one.
The big difference is Where you have the work done if you can’t do it yourself. Some shops are up to $150.00 an hour shop time. I would look for a mobile repair service guy that has some references they are usually cheaper.
Billy1davis, if you are looking for a smooth ride for your wife, I would look at a nice older diesel and add air ride seat to the co piolets position.
Lots of good coaches out there
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/diesel-motorhomes/1997-newmar-mountain-aire_rv-36183
or this one
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/diesel-motorhomes/2003-monaco-diplomat_rv-37957
One thing is to not over buy, leave some money in the budget for those unexpected items. You will have more fun if you are not pinching pennies to get buy.
Bill

2003 BOUNDER 38N
5.9 CUMMINS 300 HP
ALLISON 3000MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

lj2654

Weeki Wachee, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a 2001 Beaver DP 6 years ago and got a good deal on it.

Did it need work done, oh yes.

I do about 90% of my own work. I think over the 6 years I have spent roughly $12000 in replacement costs, ie: frig cooling unit, one roof a/c, generator repairs, 6 new tires, all new brakes, all new roof plastic covers, jack conversion from hyd to air, etc.

I took that into consideration when making my offer. We looked for over a year to get the best quality coach we could for the budget we had.

Good luck!

2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the repairs on a DP are very high in part because it's a commercial vehicle. If the idea such things as a $4000 radiator repair scare you (like they do me) then this kind of rig may not be for you.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

billy1davis

usa

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess it depends if you know what end of a hammer to hold.
I guess this is how these threads disintegrate?
If you have something to contribute great and many of you have really helped but otherwise please don't bother!

billy1davis

usa

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Specific information about actual cost over a specific time span really helps. That is great advice on not over spending and holding back some for the future is great. Also looking for the sweet deal ...all of this really helps. Thanks so much for you efforts and your help.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/18 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

I am debating whether to buy a MH or just build a house in the yuma or phoenix area. don't know which would be less a problem

Depends...if you build your house in Yuma then decide you like Phoenix better, you have to build another house. If you're in your RV in Yuma, you simply turn the key. Just sayin.... [emoticon]...Dennis

THE WORLD IS CHANGED BY YOUR EXAMPLE, NOT BY YOUR OPINIONS
Dennis and Debi Ninth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Repairs and Maintence
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS