cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Montreal QC

pops49
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving for a cross country haul in May of this year Heading all the way to the West Coast and Alaska.
Our first hurdle to me anyway ,is getting through or around the City of Montreal I would rather not get ensnarled in traffic as I am a newbie at this trailer hauling .
Any help on routes (#) to avoid the worst of this traffic would be greatly appreciated.
pops
7 REPLIES 7

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
You will have your own preferences as to where you want to travel of course, but for ourselves, just visiting the Montreal area for a few days in 2009, after a winter in Mexico, and going back to B.C. the first of April with no inkling to visit Toronto, and seeing no other RVs on the road, we headed towards Ottawa, by-passed it (leaving it for a later visit) and traveled Hwy 17. It's a long way across Ontario but this shortens it a little. Stuck in Thunder Bay by a 40 cm snowfall, delayed us a couple of days. May will be better! Living on the south coast of B.C. we never realised just how long winters can last, especially in Quebec.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
No need to sweat over the bad Montreal traffic, which I've seen. But with a big unit you do not want to venture in the wrong direction. Packer Backer defines the best route avoiding snarled traffic. We did this in 2014. Our biggest concern was fueling up, heading through PQ to the Maritimes. One stop we made had three gas stations, but we could get fueled up at none of them, just kept looking.

pops49
Explorer
Explorer
Great ,thanks for the info I will map it out . Looking forward to getting on the road.
pops

John_Betty
Explorer
Explorer
PackerBacker wrote:
To bypass the city, use highway 20 from Quebec City, then onto highway 30 west which leads west of Montreal. There is a small bridge toll before getting back onto the 20 west.
You can the get onto either highway 401 or 417.

We did this trip from Alberta to the East Coast and back last summer. This is the best route around Montreal and very easy to navigate.
John & Betty
2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2010 Keystone Bullet 246RBS

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
I trust you will want to see some of Montreal. Having lived there in the 70s my favourite spot is Mount Royal.

Where is your next spot? Route 17 across ON to the west. Detour around both Mtl and Ottawa. Though Ottawa is also interesting. Routes change over time.

I did a cross continent trip in 2015. Going I went north to Lac St. Jean and across to Route 11 and returning I headed south before (not much) Ottawa and then to the south shore of the St. Lawrence connecting with the Trans Canada at QCity. (also to see at least a day or 2s worth).

Going I worked north after Thunder Bay and around Winnipeg with Hay River, NT the goal, then south again into AB across to BC and north to Whitehorse and across to Skagway, AK. Skagway was a suggestion from Whitehorse residents. It was a very good one. Skagway is different than many towns or cities. Good numbers of wildlife by and on the highways!!

As soon as I got into MN every local I talked too started directing me to Vancouver and I had to say, no I want to go north, I've already visited Banff and Lake Louise..... Pretty well, I set out to visit medium popular places, not the big names. I didn't want to be crowded by too many wheels.

My biggest name place and top choice for site to visit was Tyrell Dinosaur Museum. Give that about 10 *s. Very special. Some US residents come to Canada to make Tyrell their two week holiday period.

There are nice cgs out and about. N. Shore Lake Superior also.

I'd say 6 weeks is minimum for such a trip. When I lived and worked out of Sudbury, there were people who would go west for 2 weeks one summer and east for 2 weeks the next summer. Still short, IMHO.

:B
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed.

This new bypass/bridge has been a Godsend to all RVers

Community Alumni
Not applicable
To bypass the city, use highway 20 from Quebec City, then onto highway 30 west which leads west of Montreal. There is a small bridge toll before getting back onto the 20 west.
You can the get onto either highway 401 or 417.