cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Axle TH hauling ATV?

ChristyFord
Explorer
Explorer
Considering a single axle toy hauler (Forest River Wildwood X-Lite, 3,000 lb dry weight) with intent to haul a 4 wheeler (not yet purchased, possibly 500lbs?) but I'm concerned concentrating that much weight behind the single axle will not be a good setup in that kind of trailer, bad for weight dist. and tongue weight, etc. Perhaps it was meant for small dirt bikes or something. Would likely be using a Jeep GC or Durango to tow, not a big truck.

Any insights?
7 REPLIES 7

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say you'll be fine with a single axle toy hauler. I had a 8 X 5 trailer I loaded up with a quad fire wood dirtbike and other stuff it did fine. You'll just need to watch the weight as stated above. If you don't belong to an off road club or if you have friends that are theirs a world of advice out there and this board is very helpful as well for information. I own an 19 Ft dual axle attitude toy hauler my dry weight is 5800 ~ (Loaded) it's 7200. Make sure you can tow it. Don't go by a sales persons advice! Look and see what others are towing and talk to them.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
Is this the one you're looking at?

Wildwood FSX 180RT

It does look like most of the weight of the ATV would be behind the axle. As least most of the other storage is in front of the axle including the under bed storage and kitchen stuff. I like the size of the tanks on this one, not bad for a small TH.

I'd get a WDH with sway control and be on my way.

A few years ago I looked at the Cherokee Wolf Pup in the same floor plan and really liked it, it had a wet bath instead of a dry bath like the Wildwood.

You can look on manufacturer specific forums for people with the same model and see how they do towing.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
ChristyFord wrote:
1320Fastback wrote:
Are you planning on filling the fresh water tank in front of the axle?

Pretty much all toy haulers work on the principal of the fresh water counter balancing the toys to keep the tongue weight in check.

So keeping the water tanks empty to save weight is probably not a good idea, then?

The only real way to know for sure for your specific situation is to load the trailer and weigh it. You certainly do not want to be under on tongue weight.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

ChristyFord
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:

Pretty much all toy haulers work on the principal of the fresh water counter balancing the toys to keep the tongue weight in check.

So keeping the water tanks empty to save weight is probably not a good idea, then?

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Single vs Tandem, tongue weight is tongue weight. Tandem's are not more or less than single axle. Loaded weight affect both nearly the same.

For a one 500lb ATV, a single axle TH will work very well with those SUV's, but you likely need a WDH.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I’m not a fan of single axel trailers and once you blow a tire you won’t be either.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad