cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route to Jacksonhole Wy

dkbozzo
Explorer
Explorer
Hello fellow RV'ers we will traveling in our 38ft Diesel Pusher from Sacto CA to Jacksonhole WY in May, looking for the best open route to our destination without having to travel through mountains with steep grades or climbs. Appreciate any feedback.
12 REPLIES 12

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the point of having an RV if you are afraid to drive it??

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
We used 26 in August to get back to the I-15 and I found it to be a very good road. We pulled our toad and had no problem.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
There are no grades steeper than 9% on the Interstate system. Most are below 7. Millions drive them each year.

That is quite true. However, there is no Interstate Highway that gets anywhere close to Jackson, Wyoming!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
There are no grades steeper than 9% on the Interstate system. Most are below 7. Millions drive them each year.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
For those not living where you do.... I'm assuming Sacto, CA is Sacramento?

Take I-80 to 93 at Wells, NV to 86 at Twin Falls, ID to I-15 at Pocatello, ID to 26 and east to Alpine. Then north on 26/89 into Jackson, WY

As stated, don't get on 22 at Victor, ID. You won't like it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Since you have a diesel MH you'll have no problems with mountain roads. We loved driving the secondary ones - pretty much stayed off interstates.

Where are you staying in Jackson? Hope you'll go into Yellowstone, also. To do so just continue straight through Grand Teton Nat'l Park and you'll enter Yellowstone.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
As a footnote to my post don't be shy about following US 93 into the Twin Falls area and north to US 26. You may find Shoshone Falls and Craters of the Moon interesting.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pretty sure we all knew where he wants to go although a larger starting point would have helped.
I-80, 93, I-86, I-15 to ID Falls. 26 to Alpine and 89 to destination...DO NOT take 22.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Some maps will show taking US 26 out of Idaho Falls then taking ID 31, 33 and WY 22 in to Jackson. DON'T! If you don't like mountains, coming off of Teton Pass will require CPR before you get to Wilson. 8-10% grade for close to nine miles.

Stay on US 26 into Alpine, WY then take US 89 into Jackson. Been several years since I have been on 89 so it may have changed some but watch for fallen rock. It also borders the Snake River and you may find the road rather narrow, depending on your ability,

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Not to be too technical but Jackson Hole is the area whereas Jackson is the town.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DaveG39
Explorer
Explorer
I have gone 15-89-26-189 several times with no problems. Bear Lake is an interesting overnight stop on the way.
2007 TropiCal LX towing 2012 Honda
CRV, Goleta, CA

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your destination is in the mountains with steep grades. You need to come to grips with that type of driving.
Stay on the Interstates for the flattest grades.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Last May we went 15 to the 26 in Idaho Falls to the 89 north in Alpine.

There were no crazy mountians at all.

Edit: I'm sorry I read Saco as San Diego for some reason. I will say if you can make your way to the 15 from norCal it's smooth sailing from there.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler