Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Older diesel vs. New Gas
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Older diesel vs. New Gas

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
revickers

Burnsville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, we thought we would have bought our Class A by now, but we are still looking. Our goal is to work a month on and then travel a month in our Class A. But we are still trying to figure out what to buy. Should we go with a 2000 Diesel or go with a 2005 Gas. We are looking to spend 30k or less. What are your experiences? Any thoughts?

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

revickers wrote:

Well, we thought we would have bought our Class A by now, but we are still looking. Our goal is to work a month on and then travel a month in our Class A. But we are still trying to figure out what to buy. Should we go with a 2000 Diesel or go with a 2005 Gas. We are looking to spend 30k or less. What are your experiences? Any thoughts?
With equal quality coaches, I'd take the diesel.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JK toad.

Tinstar

McKinney, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 12:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Provided the diesel is in good shape, I'd go with it.

">Never pass up a chance to go somewhere">

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 03:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not enough info.

If the condition of the gas is significantly better due to younger age and the gas doesn't have excessive miles on it, I would go with the gas model.

Reality is most RV's die of old age long before the engine gives out (gas or diesel). An exception would be if the gas model was under powered.

This assumes otherwise similar models. A high end diesel pusher against a low end gas might not come out the same.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 03:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Condition should be the deciding factor when buying a used RV, not the engine/chassis.
If you want a diesel, find one in good condition. Same goes for a gas unit.
As said above, you shouldn't compare an older high end diesel to a newer entry level gasoline unit.

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In that price range, be careful and have financial contingency plans for repair costs. Diesel repairs are (more) expensive.

It really all hinges in condition more than what type of engine. Better a quality gas coach than a bargain brand diesel.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you need to ask yourself how do you plan to use the MH first before you get to the gas vs diesel question. Do you plan on staying in FHU RV parks or more remote CG's with no facilities like NP's, SP's or NFS CG's. Will you move often to see the country or stay in one spot for a month. How much storage do you need for the stuff you want to take with you. How much water do you need based on where you want to camp. Then determine what size your want based on your use. If you want a large 36-42 ft MH a DP would be a better choice. If you want a shorter 28-34 ft MH for travel look for a newer gas MH because you won't find many DP's in that size anyways. Everyone has a different camping style so their choices may be good for them but not for you.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2000 to 2005 is a pretty narrow spread, I would definitely go with the diesel as there are too many advantages to the heavier, nicer riding coach.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

bobkatmsu

clearwater, fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ductape wrote:

In that price range, be careful and have financial contingency plans for repair costs. Diesel repairs are (more) expensive.

It really all hinges in condition more than what type of engine. Better a quality gas coach than a bargain brand diesel.
Totally agree. If you are looking a units of that age it appears that you have a limited budget for this project. Repair bills on a DP are going to be significantly higher that the gasser and at this age you are going to have repair bills. As far as performance of ride, towing capacity, weight you can carry, all favor the DP. However the cost may be the deciding factor. The purchase price is only part of the actual cost of having a motor home. We owned a gasser for years and loved every moment of owning it. We are going full-time now and this is going to be our home, so at this point I can justify a DP. Although the cost of repairs is still a concern.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With only one post I'll wait for more info on camping style.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
Where am I?
How I spend the winter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Older diesel vs. New Gas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS