Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Question about knee replacement for those that have one.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Question about knee replacement for those that have one.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am home. Out patient. Minimal pain right now because nerve block hasn't worn off yet. Glad I had the option of out patient or hospital. I would rather be home.[emoticon]

Thanks for all the encouragement. Everyone I have talked to in person or online has said the same, do the rehab work. In fact I start rehab tomorrow morning. So ready to be pain free.[emoticon]

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 191,000 miles
2004 Coachmen 278 RKS Fifth-Wheel
Reese 15K slider hitch

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good for you!! My hip replacement is 15 years old and going strong - as other's have said, take your PT/rehab seriously. Heal well!!

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/18 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

grizz272 wrote:

I have had both knees replaced. Use your meds as the Dr says. When it comes to PT, if you do it right it will hurt take the pain meds 20 minutes before you start the PT. The noise your knee will make during PT real interesting and can feel really strange. Popping, snapping and a lot of other noises. This is normal. Strength loss is not bad in the muscles. The joint on the other hand is quite a bit. How ever part of the reason for the PT is to get the strength back. The strength will come back fairly quickly. DO YOUR PT. NO PAIN NO GAIN.

Good advice. I had my right one done last Sept. the more you exercise the better. I got off the pain med on the 5th day because the effect was worse than the pain. Tylenol was my friend.
The machine to keep your leg moving is your BEST FRIEND , use it.

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/18 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shadows4 wrote:

I am home. Out patient. Minimal pain right now because nerve block hasn't worn off yet. Glad I had the option of out patient or hospital. I would rather be home.[emoticon]

Thanks for all the encouragement. Everyone I have talked to in person or online has said the same, do the rehab work. In fact I start rehab tomorrow morning. So ready to be pain free.[emoticon]

My block always wore off within 24 hrs. If you are already home you must have made a quick turnaround.

My hospital stay was 2 nights. I told the doctor to minimize the percocet last Feb. because they cause me to have hiccups and it doesn't stop until I get on a weaker the dose. Big mistake. After the block wore off i was begging for more pain meds.

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had mine done 1-5 at home the next day and doing the PT and exercise

Key is the rehab, if they tell you to do 10 do 12-15

Don't sit around try to get up and wal with walker every hour or so.
Pain level is tolerable

egh33

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never had it done, but a military buddy and my son had it done at the VA and they have both had the knee come apart after about 6 months and had to have them re-done.

justlou

Northern, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, both my knees are bone on bone and my DR. recommended I try the cartilage supplement (euflexxa) injections first. Three injections per knee, one per week. Left knee is now 90% and right knee is 85%. It can be redone in 6 months, and I feel I bought myself at least another year before replacement.

justlou
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2014 Honda CR-V AWD

jerryjay11

Dover

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had arthroscopic surgery many years ago on both knees, one at a time though. The past few years I’ve been having pain in my knees again, more so in the right knee. It’s painful when getting up from a chair. I have been considering the surgery, but I am still hesitant to do so. So my questions to all that have had it done is:
1) What level of pain made you decide to have it done?
2) What is the average timeframe of full recovery to get back to what you enjoy doing?
I don't want to be laid up all during camping/fishing season.

NanciL

Bakersville, NC,/Key Largo FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/18 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerryjay11 wrote:

I had arthroscopic surgery many years ago on both knees, one at a time though. The past few years I’ve been having pain in my knees again, more so in the right knee. It’s painful when getting up from a chair. I have been considering the surgery, but I am still hesitant to do so. So my questions to all that have had it done is:
1) What level of pain made you decide to have it done?
2) What is the average timeframe of full recovery to get back to what you enjoy doing?
I don't want to be laid up all during camping/fishing season.

1.When I just plain didn't want to walk any more. Had I known what a joy it was to have a new knee I would have done it several years before I did.

2.For me it was just a few weeks, but with that said, years ago I was a long distance runner and the doctor told me to never run again, or I would be right back for another replacement.
Also to kneel with all my weight on that replaced knee took about a year or longer.

Jack L

Jack & Nanci

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/18 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

justlou wrote:

FWIW, both my knees are bone on bone and my DR. recommended I try the cartilage supplement (euflexxa) injections first. Three injections per knee, one per week. Left knee is now 90% and right knee is 85%. It can be redone in 6 months, and I feel I bought myself at least another year before replacement.

Tried those, first round lasted 5 Months
Second round lasted about about month and a half

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Question about knee replacement for those that have one.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS