Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Is a weight distribution hitch needed on dually?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Is a weight distribution hitch needed on dually?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
ulvik

Smoky Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 1/2 ton truck to pull our 26ft. TT and absolutely need a weight distribution hitch to tow our camper. But a family friend is going to borrow out TT for a 500 mile trip and he owns a 3500 dually that when hooked up our TT does not even squat his truck.
Question is can he use my weight distribution hitch alone and not use the weight distribution bars for their trip or will just the sway control bar be all that he needs?

* This post was edited 01/07/18 09:35am by ulvik *

2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He will probably be fine as far as handling the trailer goes however he should check the weight limits of his trucks receiver. Many of them have a weight carrying limit of 500-600lbs and if your tongue weight is above that amount a weight distribution hitch is called for.
That information should be on a sticker on the receiver itself.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How heavy is the loaded TW of your camper?

Does the actual hitch head or draw bar your friend is going to use have a weight carrying rating to hold the dead weight of your loaded camper? You did not say what hitch was being used, if it is your WD hitch put in his truck, many of the WD hitches have reduced load ratings if the hitch head is used in weight carrying mode.

What is the receiver rating of your friends 1 ton truck? You did not mention the brand and year. Some of the older 1 ton dually's only had a receiver rated for 500 to 600# in weight carrying mode and needed a WD hitch to be able to go higher in weight.

As to the truck and your statement
ulvik wrote:

our TT does not even squat his truck
Did you use a tape measure to check the distance the back of the truck sagged when hitched? Even a 1 ton truck will sag something with a 500# plus loaded TW. How much depends on a few things. Empty bed,fully loaded bed and the actual raw trailer TW etc.

My 1 ton truck rides a whole lot better on 500# and above TW trailers when used with a WD hitch. My upgraded hitch setup does not require the WD hitch but I myself would use the WD just for the better ride. If you are letting your friend borrow your WD hitch to go with his truck to allow him to have some anti sway control, I myself would tell him to hook up the WD bars and have a great trip.

Hope this helps

John

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

ulvik

Smoky Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

He will probably be fine as far as handling the trailer goes however he should check the weight limits of his trucks receiver. Many of them have a weight carrying limit of 500-600lbs and if your tongue weight is above that amount a weight distribution hitch is called for.
Barney

I should of cleared this up. My mistake. He is going to utilize my hitch itself but wondering if the distribution bars would be needed. Will edit post.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

Barney

X2.
Still need this answered to know for sure.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can proof the tongue load numbers, but I wouldn't have an issue with hook and go with that trailer with no sway or wd. Unless there's something different and the trailer has abnormally huge tongue weight.

There are 2 schools of thought. 1 is the typical RVer school where ALL TTs need a wdh with sway control.
2 is the rest of the world that haul trailers of all shapes and sizes day in day out without much concern, especially with reasonable and moderate loads like your camper.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/18 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

BarneyS wrote:

Barney

X2.
Still need this answered to know for sure.

X3. Here's an example from my 1-ton dually (different truck, but most of the 350/3500 DRWs are simmilar):

Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 5000 lbs
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 500 lbs
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 17500 lbs
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 2625 lbs

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OE 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ulvik wrote:

BarneyS wrote:

Barney

I should of cleared this up. My mistake. He is going to utilize my hitch itself but wondering if the distribution bars would be needed. Will edit post.

You are talking about two different things. Barney is referring to the actual receiver "hitch" attached to the truck. You are referring to the draw bar or the removable part. So what Barney stated still applies. As long as the TT tongue weight does not exceed your friends receiver rating than they can tow without the weight bars with your draw bar.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THen for what it is worth.......

I've towed my old TT with nothing, WD bars, and a Dual cam. The trailer dead weighted did not take but 60-80 lbs off the FA. Overall no handling issues.

BUT with above said. THere were minor differences. IE when there were higher mph sidewinds, The trailer would sometimes rock side to side while towing. This rocking was more pronounced with no bars, less with a WD, and lessor with the dual cam.

I did not have any issues with uncontrolled fishtail sway in ANY of the ways pulled!

At the end of the day, I did prefer the dual cam over the other options. BUT, like one trip when I lost a WD bar, there was not real issues in towing. I did not notice the bars gone for over 75 miles, including pulling locally HWY 2 stevens pass with it snowing lightly, then down the east side which can be a semi turny pass.

marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My hitch receiver is rated for 6,000 pounds of tongue weight without WD, however once trailer tongue gets really heavy, braking distances get much longer without weight-distribution because the front tires get offloaded.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Is a weight distribution hitch needed on dually?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS