cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About The Slideout.....

rookie_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Rookie RVer :C here! My last post I apologized for “temporarily” attempting to go to the other side with a bumper pull, but I am back with new to me Class A (Winnebago Vista 30B). This is my first slideout and I am kinda lost regarding upkeep, maintainance, do’s and don’ts. Is it okay to leave the slideout out for long periods of time? I keep it in backyard already set up and use it as ‘my get away space’. Am I asking for trouble by always leaving the slideout out, even during rainy days, cold days, windy days? Or is it best to retract the slideout each time I leave?

I have been reading all manuals but have not come across anything that address this particular ‘do’s and/or don’ts.

Thank you in advance!
Darius....the "Rookie RVer"
U.S. Coast Guard Retired
"RVing....cause life's a trip"
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I left my slides out for over 2 years when the engine went BOOM and I had to build up bank account.

No problems that I can lay on doing that. Oh I do have problems but this coach is a 2005 and .. Well... Stuff happens (Most of it is very minor).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Consider adding a step in your monthly maintenance to cycle the slides in and then back out.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
we have slide out covers and have left ours out for the most part. we just keep the seals treated with baby powder

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Watch out for leaves collecting on the slide out - sweep them away before closing
When it's retracted and below freezing it can be frozen at the mating surfaces with the trailer so don't try to open it
You can generally leave slides out during rain. All I've seen have a slight taper away to shed water
They tend to seal to the trailer during times of non-use. Some slide-lube on the mating surfaces every year goes a long way
The slides on every RV I've owned scare the hell out of me at times but have never failed. They seem to buck and flex when extending/retracting but I guess that is just what they do

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Unless using the RV, you retract the slide room.
1. Most manuals will state in high winds/rain, the slide out may leak
2. It will not if retracted
3. Slideouts fail to operate at times. If left extended, then when it fails, HOW do you get it in to the service center? I get these calls all the time from customers that left their slide outs extended when they were not using the RV.
4. You should always extend and retract the slide outs once or twice a month to exercise the seals and keep the seals from sticking. Think of how a Automobile door seals stick if the doors have not been opened and closed for weeks, especially in hot weather.
5. If the slide out has a slide cover, you needlessly expose the fabric to sun and UV and those deteriorate the fabric over time. Doug

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same here , except in the very cold. Its stays in only since it get colder inside with it out. The other except is when it really raining, then if possible its in, cause I always forget that water might be on the slide roof and it comes inside with the slide. I usually level low front if I think it going to rain, allowing water to drain off.

Have fun.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I only retract my slide in wind, cold and to move.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
In or out, doesn’t matter. We lived fulltime in ours and had the slide out for about two years. Now that we are back in a house we use the motorhome for camping again and the slide goes out and in each trip and stays in until the next trip. We have never had a problem with it.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic