cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof vent covers

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
The other project is going to be roof vent covers so I can install a Fantstic fan in both vents. With the fan rated at about 900 or so cfm is the a cover rated for that amount. I want a high quality cover that I wont have to replace and wont turn color in the Florida sun.
Camco and Max air are the ones I see out there. I am sure there may be others people like. Is one better then the other?? I also want to be able to leave the fans running in the rain, so it will have to be a taller cover.
11 REPLIES 11

femailyetti
Explorer
Explorer
The bug screen may be the trigger to my buying one as I live in FL. Bugs carry you away at night/

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
I will add that installing the Fantastic fan in the vented opening was quite easy with the new interior shroud (square vs rounded corners to fit the Fantastic fan).

With the minimal power draw and our replacing the original lights with all LEDs, I simply snaked the wires between the ceiling and the roof and attached to the light wiring.

Orient the fan's controls for your convenience.

Opening windows and having the fan blow IN will provide direct breeze and exhaust the camper quickly. Reversing the fan to blow OUT will draw air in the windows and provide gentle (Low setting), indirect air for comfortable sleeping.

One of the BEST upgrades we made 😉

When cooking, we turn on the hood exhaust fan and make the ceiling fans vent IN, which makes very efficient exhausting of cooking odors.

Nice for breaks and lunch along the route, when air conditioning is not available (not setting up generator, etc).

We didn't have any water come in, even in heavy storms.

One more: When overnighting in Walmart parking lot and trucks are close and idling, cracking a few windows a little and having the fans blow IN provides FRESH AIR from the roof line- instead of risking exhaust and carbon monoxide from any nearby vehicles.

In short...you won't regret at least one Fantastic fan instead of just plain ceiling vents :C

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
I put Maxxair covers on our new to us camper this past spring when we brought it home.

I replaced the bathroom fan/vent with the Vortex replacement unit. It works great with the "pull the pins to remove" cover.

I removed the old vent-only from the bedroom and installed our fantastic fan (removed from our old popup and painted nicely) in the opening. Had to order a shroud to fit the Fantastic fan shape.

It does not open 100% under the cover, but we haven't noticed any issues with slowed or noisy airflow. It is quite nice and has the little screen for bugs in the slotted vents in the cover.

We get soft light through them in the days, not blinding and not dark...just right 😉

Made sure the openings were facing towards the back of the camper. They show no signs of having been barreling at > 80mph and sometimes into the wind :E

Watch for them on free shipping sales or Amazon as they are quite bulky 😉

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I installed Fantastic Ultra Breeze vent covers on two of our powered Fantastic roof vents. I went with the "smoke" version. 🙂

Fantastic Ultra Breeze Vent Covers

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
femailyetti wrote:
The other project is going to be roof vent covers so I can install a Fantstic fan in both vents.
a

I put a Fantastic Fan brand cover on my Fantastic Fan.

I was surprised that it is not taller. the vent cover does NOT fully open but since mine is a manual open/close I can get it to hold open And it is open enough to get the full output from the fan. No problems so far, Installed last summer.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I have Maxxair II covers over my Fantastic fans and they work quite well. No problem running them in the rain. Rarely run the fans full out so can't really tell if reduces CFM. I suspect it will somewhat no matter what brand of cover you use.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The new Maxx Air Fan Mate 955 like this is taller and I have no problem with my Fantastic Fan,which BTW the cover is designed to stop when it hits anything. I like the clips,they make it easy to open and clean the vent cover. Maxx Air Fan Mate

955 Maxx Air video
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I use to se the Maxxair covers on my previous coaches, but when Fantastic Fan came out with their own covers, I went with them. They work well with the Fantastic Fans and the best part, they have four quick release pins that allows you to remove the cover and clean the inside and the fan lid.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
I have rain sensors on my roof vents and I had to install 2 of the Black Maxxair vent covers, one in the kitchen and in the bathroom. When the vent hits the cover they stop, work great.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/black-maxxair-fanmate-ezclip-vent-cover/84026
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic also makes a cover for their fans.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

centerline
Explorer
Explorer
I have had excellent results with maxxair vent covers and fan units.
camco may be ok also, but in my mind I relate camco products as budget built products... but not any cheaper.
2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 FB Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment Repair & Specialty Welding...