Motorhome Magazine Open Roads Forum: Towing: Ram 3500 4x4 Superglide setup questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Ram 3500 4x4 Superglide setup questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
centerline

Salem OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

im posting the following to give you a reference, but it really means nothing to your set up, but it may satisfy some curiosity you have about what you can do...

I have the superglide slider in my ram 3500 CC,LB and it works well.

I went with the slider because I have 60"long side rail boxes along my bed, and the slider helps to slide the pinbox rearward so the rear of it doesnt contact the aluminum side/storage boxes when in a tight twisting turn...

with the custom installation, the 5th wheel plate is exactly 1" higher than the bed rails to make it all work in this situation....
the squat, measured directly over the axle is 2.25" with the trailer fully loaded.
loaded hitch weight is 4400lbs
the overhang of the trailer is 68" from the ground, and clears my side rail boxes by 9"...
the max trailer heigth at the front (measured at skylight bubble over shower) is 13'2"...

I placed the axles over the springs to bring the rear of the trailer level.. and the A/C (highest point at the rear the trailer) measures 13' even....

without adjusting your hitch height, either at the pinbox, or by customizing your "standard" hitch install, you may need to adjust your axles to get it to level out.

* This post was last edited 01/07/18 08:37pm by centerline *   View edit history

2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
1979 Bayliner 2556 Convertible Cruiser
Heavy Equipment repair and Specialty Welding...

XR4rider

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/18 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks azrving...I am in the chicken before the egg scenario here. I need the hitch to get the trailer but need the trailer to get the right hitch setup.

It appears I might, from you and centerline's reply, need to do some type of lift to the trailer to maintain bed clearance and keep a level trailer. I just measured my bed rails. At the axle, from the top of the bed rail to the ground is 57". I am hoping of getting approx, 2" of squat, to get the bed rails to 55". I'm hoping the level trailer overhang will be at least 62" from the ground. Ive contacted a dealer and the manufacturer to see if I could get these measurements. That will give me the 6 to 7" of bed rail clearance I want. then I just need to find the correct hitch height and kingpin position. According to Pullrite, the 24K model hitch (part 2300) is 15.75" tall. This is there shortest autoslide.

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/18 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks like mine is 56 3/4 with about 800 pounds in the bed including hitch. I know what you mean about figuring it all out. It was the first time I had a FW so I pretty much bought it and installed it then picked the rig up and it looked like it was mainly riding on the rear axle. From there I drug it onto wood blocks and leveled up and bought the low profile feet and then worked on the FW. At first it just looked like the whole thing was too high with 8 inches at the rails but I now know there is no way I could live with six. As I mentioned before, I go over some pretty rough ground and have backed down into fields in order to get turned around.

I'd have to watch it and measure it again but it doesn't squat a lot. I dont think it goes down over 2 inches. If I can I'll measure it when I hook up in a couple days. My son has a 3/4 long bed with about a 9700 gross FW and I think his squatted about an 1 1/2. My gross is about 12,500

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/18 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dropped 1 1/4 inches when hooking up today. There is probably closer to 1000 in the truck before hitching up because of all the other stuff in the cab back seat.

So total squat is probably 1 3/4

pyoung47

MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/18 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't believe that the "Super Rail" mounting kit is available for a 17 3500 anyway.

XR4rider

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/18 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow...doesn't squat very much. Thanks azrving for checking and all the info.

True the Superrail is not available for the 3500, just the standard rail mount. According to pullrite, the lowest profile Superglide they make is part #2300, the 24k rated hitch. It will fit industry standard rails. It is 15.75" tall.

I will more than likely get that hitch even thought it is way overkill as far as capacity. I think it I was to go with a manual slide, I would look at the Reese 16K slider part 30869. It has vertical adjustments from 16" to 19"

But I really like the idea of the autoslide...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Ram 3500 4x4 Superglide setup questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS