Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: Asthma in Arizona
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Asthma in Arizona

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
John&Joey

Summer-North,Winter-South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update... What was the outcome of the doctor's visit?

Needless to say, hope all is well.

Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doc suspects a sinus problem but is going to test general things, basically all the routine blood tests as one would get in a physical. Also testing for Valley Fever. I had a cat scan of sinuses today. Blood tests tomorrow, back to doctor Friday.

2014 Sunseeker 2300 Class C (Chevy 4500)

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/18 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jhlady wrote:

Snowman9000,

I had the same problem when I first got to Arizona for the winter many years ago. The types of plants and allergens in Arizona are a lot different than the Northwest or Mid-west.

We Snowbird in FL - and all the pollen here has caused me to sneeze/eyes water/cough each visit. Two years ago it developed into bronchitis - ugh. I remembered reading somewhere that eating raw honey from the area where you live, will expose you to the pollen of the area so that you grow less sensitized to it? So this year we located a local raw honey source - Ed stirs it into his coffee; I simply down a spoonful every morning. I think it is helping! At worst, we have some great-tasting honey :-)

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/18 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jhlady wrote:

Snowman9000,

I had the same problem when I first got to Arizona for the winter many years ago. The types of plants and allergens in Arizona are a lot different than the Northwest or Mid-west. I am not a doctor, but unless you have a medical reason not to or your doctor advises against it, I would start taking over the counter anti-allergy pills such as Zyrtec etc. and see if your symptoms improve. I buy the generic version at Costco. If so, stay on them until you leave. I have gotten to where I take them nightly regardless of where I wander and it seems to keep things in check. Hope this helps.

John

We take Costco version of Alegria https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signatur........g.%2C-180-Tablets.product.100299849.html, it seems to keep the dessert crud in check for both of us.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Retired and enjoying it!

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/18 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geting raw honey from the area that you are staying at really helps the pollen alergies and it was used in severe burns, I used it on my 3rd degree burn instead of the expensive salve that the doctor perscribed, in any case my wife has pollen alergies and we always buy the local honey for her when we travel, at the end of the trips we just mix all the left over honey and finish it off.

Purchase the local honey, not the supermarket version that might be from a different area or a mixture that has been processed and has no effect on the allergy.

navegator

Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/18 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CT scan showed some lingering sinus infection. The asthma and drainage has been improving a lot in the past two days. If it clears up, then good. If not, then antibiotics.

Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What amazes me is how many people are affected, yet the causes are hard to nail down.

Guy next to us, his wife stayed back in Michigan this winter because of how bad she gets out here. She’s been to doctors and even hospitalized, but they can’t say the cause.

Guy across the street sounds like heck.

Whatever.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/18 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It happens because travelers aren't used to the different pollens. Same thing happens to us when in Florida. Also, it's not asthma that you have. It's new allergies which can produce sinus infections. You need to come to Arizona every year to get acclimated. [emoticon]

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a fairly unusual problem but I for one have suffered from allergies for seventy years now and if I catch a winter cold, something in my area causes my allergies to flair up. After the cold has run it's course and if I haven't taken Zertex or something similar, my sinuses will drain and while I am asleep I aspirate the drainage. This irritates my bronchial tubes and I get a dry cough. While I have the cold I have a productive cough, post cold, I have a dry cough and it can last for several months.

When my nose starts running, allergies or cold, I take Zertex D. The rest of the year I take Zertex.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
95 Suzuki Sidekick 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

tinstartrvlr

Currently AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/18 11:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2gypsies wrote:

It happens because travelers aren't used to the different pollens. Same thing happens to us when in Florida. Also, it's not asthma that you have. It's new allergies which can produce sinus infections. You need to come to Arizona every year to get acclimated. [emoticon]

I tend to agree. First time I visited Az, I got a very nasty bronchial something. Three years later, no problems.

Lived in Fl most of my life. Returned after being away for 3 years and got sick; my guess is mold and mildew, something that is hard to find in the desert SW.

Think the body has to build up antibodies and until you get past that, you have a good chance of getting sick.

Regardless, hope it all works out okay for ya.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Asthma in Arizona
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS