cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who Else Will Retire To Full-time In 2018?

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
I don't know if this will be a popular thread or a dumb idea, but here goes. I saw a post here recently (maybe two) where members said they plan to retire and begin full-time RV life in 2018. That's my plan, too. What does your plan look like? Here's my plan (and long-term members here can feel free to comment, even with their often snide remarks).

1 - I turn 62 in August, (and my car lease is up then) but I won't take early Social Security
2 - I have savings to buy a nice, maybe even new, travel trailer with cash
3 - I can afford to lease a new tow vehicle with no worries, so I probably will; but I may try to rent a big truck for the first couple of months just to be sure this is where I want to go
4 - I've toyed with the idea of a CD-secured personal loan, but there's not much point (most banks want the CD rate plus 2%)
5 - I can burn my savings at the rate or $2,000 or even $3,000 per month with no problem until I start to draw Social Security
6 - I will probably do South Texas the first winter, but I might consider inland Florida, if I can find it within my budget
7 - I will probably set up near a big city for June-August and work a computer programming contract because 1 - it's easy money and 2 - I don't want to fight the summer crowds in the parks
8 - I'll travel the country in Spring and Fall seeing parks and cities big and small
9 - When I hit about 67-68 I will start Social Security and it will be plenty for me (if the government doesn't break all their promises)
10 - Since I'm in good health I'll probably buy cheap non-ACA health insurance until I qualify for Medicare at 65
11 - If I enjoy the life, I'll just keep repeating every year; if I find a place I like a lot I might set up a winter or summer home in an RV park
12 - If I don't like the life I can sell the RV at a loss and return to regular apartment life, but maybe in a new city that I like better. But I will always be Dallas Steve because that's where I was born.

Finally, I may get a bumper sticker that says "All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV".
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV
58 REPLIES 58

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
steve,
in Florida there are more 55+ places then not. you can just do a 55 plus search on google and a bunch will pop up. most places have some sorta storage or soem you can put the RV beside the home on a lot. the are called RV ports lot of times.

have a good one and see you on the road ๐Ÿ™‚

carl

DallasSteve wrote:
carl2591 wrote:
Will not be officially retiring in 2018 more like 2020 or so but I am thinking about what "2lazy4U" as saying about having a place to go if you need to at some in the future.

We plan to go full-time in 2 yrs leaving our house to be rented while gone for income. When we return to NC we will sell house and I have been looking at places in florida to buy on teh cheap..

I see a lot of 55+ places that are 1 bedroom unit with carports etc for less than 95K.. depending on interest rates might pay cash for one or 1/2 down and finance 1/2.

Short term rentals are an option as well depending on the location you are wanting.. anywhere in Calif is expensive for sure.

I think it a good game plan to have a "last place" if you need to get off the road for some reason, health or accident etc that is unplanned.

thanks for the good info. and I suggest checking out the fulltime RV groups on facebook.

Carl

Is there a way to search for those 55+ places online? I'd like to browse some. I'd be even better if they have a place to park an RV or maybe that would be some RV parks with cottages.

Thanks, Steve
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hear what you are saying about investing but I feel like this market is going to be heading down in the next couple years.

you got a place you like to put money for a while??

And on the community, we are currently in Florida this week looking at places we might like to live in at some point in the future and find both good and bad in each.

One place we looked at and liked is near the Disney complex so while we travel we could rent this space out during winter as needed to keep cost down.

the community has a good rental program taking care of every thing from booking to cleaning and they are looking for unit to have in the program right now.

still a lot to figure out ๐Ÿ™‚

COE,, corp of engineers

2gypsies wrote:
carl2591 wrote:

We plan to go full-time in 2 yrs leaving our house to be rented while gone for income. When we return to NC we will sell house and I have been looking at places in florida to buy on teh cheap..

I'd suggest selling the house first and investing the money... much better than renting it out with possible rental issues, still paying taxes on it, upkeep, etc.

Then you are free to travel as long as you want. Don't put a deadline on it. You won't see everything in 2 years. You many even find a community you like better than one you think you will at this time. Be flexible!
Carl2591, Raleigh NC

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
What is break even point when referring to SS benefits?

I think in this case it means how long you have to take the increased benefits to equal how much you would get by taking the reduced benefits. If you take your SS at 62 and it equals $1,000 per month then if you wait until 70 to start it would be about $1,788. So for 8 years you get $1,000 under one choice and $0 under the other. Then under the second choice you start to get $1,788 after 8 years.

The person who took their money at 62 starts out with a $96,000 head start. The second person will be catching up at the rate of $9,456 per year. In 10 years and 3 months he will break even. If you compare 62 versus 66 (the midpoint) the breakeven point is more like 5 years. After the breakeven point you are ahead in the second choice, but if you die before the breakeven point you received less than you would've gotten by starting earlier.

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Wow great thread! I'm planning on retiring (early) in the next few years but will probably get another more flexible job and travel more not full time although I often fantasize about that lifestyle. I'm too young to qualify for job sponsored health insurance in retirement so hoping next job will cover that.

Up to now love RV'ing but only taken short duration trips. My parents full timed for about 10 years until they couldn't manage the MH.

I few questions from the posts here:
What is break even point when referring to SS benefits?

What is COE?
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
carl2591 wrote:

I'd suggest selling the house first and investing the money... much better than renting it out with possible rental issues, still paying taxes on it, upkeep, etc.

Then you are free to travel as long as you want. Don't put a deadline on it. You won't see everything in 2 years. You many even find a community you like better than one you think you will at this time. Be flexible!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
carl2591 wrote:
Will not be officially retiring in 2018 more like 2020 or so but I am thinking about what "2lazy4U" as saying about having a place to go if you need to at some in the future.

I see a lot of 55+ places that are 1 bedroom unit with carports etc for less than 95K.. depending on interest rates might pay cash for one or 1/2 down and finance 1/2.

Short term rentals are an option as well depending on the location you are wanting.. anywhere in Calif is expensive for sure.

I think it a good game plan to have a "last place" if you need to get off the road for some reason, health or accident etc that is unplanned.

thanks for the good info. and I suggest checking out the fulltime RV groups on facebook.

Carl

Is there a way to search for those 55+ places online? I'd like to browse some. I'd be even better if they have a place to park an RV or maybe that would be some RV parks with cottages.

Thanks, Steve

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Retiring is usually a โ€œfor keepsโ€ decision. Be sure.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III

Carl2591, Raleigh NC

paulm
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add a few things, take them or leave them. I've been full-time for over 10 years, though when I get tired of it I'll rent for a few months here and there, but am mostly on the road. I travel alone with my dogs.

Over a month ago, I was injured, both legs receiving deep cuts. I live in a 19' RV and love it. But after a few days of daily urgent care visits to treat the wounds, I realized I needed a place where I could keep them immaculately clean and recover. I was fortunate that I could go to my daughter's, but have often wondered what I would've done otherwise, as I have dogs to be cared for, and a rental can often take awhile to find (even w/o pets).

My wounds got infected, as they were clear to the bone, even on antibiotics (2 rounds), and it's taken now about 5 weeks to get to where the doc doesn't think I'll end up in the hospital. I now am dedicated to getting a small permanent home base I can retreat to when needed.

We never think anything bad will happen to us, but that can be delusional. I've known other full-timers who have gotten really ill and had bad things happen and who were all needing a home base for the duration. Be prepared, don't discount that you might need a retreat occasionally, even if just for psychological reasons (full-timing can get tiring). Be sure you have a plan and can implement it.

paulm
Explorer
Explorer
doing again after a layoff of 10 years. We did it for a few years and decided we needed the ranch life again. Got off the road sold the best coach we ever had. A Monaco signature. Now we are buying again and cannot wait to get on the road again.
Its a great life and we intend to live it out on the road.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately I can't retire for 3 more years. However, when I do it will be at 62 and hopefully hit the road permanently. I've done the math and it's not worth working an extra 3 years 10 months of work for the amount I will lose.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Othonk
Explorer
Explorer
Me too!
I bought a used 22 ft Tioga RV that I paid too much but I don't' care and am working to make my own. Have had frustrations but, I'm just going and will work on it as I travel. I'm 75 and starting this new adventure alone and late but is a great solution to my housing predicament, finances will be tight but I'm excited to see what happens next week as I pull out going anywhere north.

Derrils
Explorer
Explorer
bacil wrote:
We are planning to FT this March.
We have our business that is location independent and my better half is finishing her online business setup so we should be financially sufficient and have all the expenses taken care of with budget 5-7k a month. But on the other side our situation is little more complicated. We both are from Czech, i am US resident on L1A (thats top management visa) for a while and hoping to get my GC this May as i have businesses registered in CA and DW, but with her it is little more complicated on ESTA program she can only stay 90 days in the row so we have to plan occasional trips abroad :-). Anyway our plan so far is.

Hey
What kind of business do you do? It has online components.
And how many years do you lead your business?Sorry if I did not see this information
Derrils