cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why a class A gas over class C?

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
While casually toy hauler shopping my wife and I checked out some motorized RVs. Diesel is totally out due to Price point of newer units. If we go this direction we need to tow a 16’ flatbed utility trailer for atv and dirt bikes. So maybe towing around 4K tops. My gut says Class A around 32’ with ford chassis and V10 as that is a proven package. So getting back to original question what are the advantages of a Class A over C. Surprising it doesn’t appear that C’s are much cheaper than an A? App all input. BTW I consider is seasoned campers and currently have a BP toy hauler. Thanks
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
56 REPLIES 56

busmanrandy
Explorer
Explorer
Well I been selling Rv's for 20 years now. Ive bought many RV's at the auction to re-sell at the dealership along with taking in many trades. If I had to put a number on it. I would say 90 % of class C's have a leak or had had a leak up over the cab. The ones with out a window in the cab over not so much. If you were ever taking one on trade and didn't check it for water leaks, you were shooting yourself in the foot. Also I like a class A better because that drivers space in a C is not livable space. A class A motorhome when you park, you can swivel the seats around to use in the living room area for more seating options with guest etc. So unless you need the extra sleeping a class A is the way to go. I've owned both. One last thing. The class A has a much better view

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I think we could not get by with a Cs CCC. If money were no issue I’d own a super c freight liner. Best of both worlds IMO.
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

AstroRig57
Explorer
Explorer
As others have noted...

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
Cargo Capacity
Tire size and load ratings.

We previously had a large Class-C and, even with Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags and Goodyear G947 RSS Armor MAX tires (which may be the most expensive 16" all steel radials you could buy) I was constantly worried about being overloaded. Per the manufacturer's specs, with full fresh water, fuel and propane, and passengers based on the SCWR (though we rarely had a full house), we had a scarce 600 lbs of Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC).

Since most of our RV use is boondocking at dark sky sites for astronomy, wherein we haul multiple large telescopes with various mounts, counter weights, large 28-60 Amp hour battery packs, solar panels, and accessories, I counted every pound when I loaded and knew I was often over GVWR. (Not counting the 130 lb dog.)

In our modest Winnebago Class-A, I have 3,000 lbs of CCC and I don't worry about the weight any more.
2005 Winnebago Sightseer WFD30B "rigged for night" with red LED lighting for night adapted vision.

Do you remember when the sky was dark, and the stars were bright?
The International Dark-Sky Association
American by birth...Scottish by the Grace Of God.

Tntman
Explorer
Explorer
Just a point or two. Class C's are metal, class A's are fiberglas. In an accident, metal transfers the impact, where as fiberglas absorbs the impact. Yes there will be more damage to fiberglas at lower speeds, but I personally like the absorbing effect of fiberglas. You want to boondocks for many days, you need larger holding tanks. My Phaeton carries 100 gallons of fresh water, 50 gallons of black and 70 gallons of grey. As far as the windshield killing occupants, total BS. I hit a wild turkey with the passenger side windshield, doing 55 MPH. The windshield caved in about 5 inches, but did NOT fall out. I will vote for a diesel class A, I believe you will be much happier.
ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST,
Mike, Jill and our dog Goshe
Our Booger dog is with us in a custom urn, miss ya Boogs
2003 Tiffin Phaeton, Roadmaster tow products, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Good Sam, SKP, FMCA F292654

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned 3 class C's and 2 class A's. We enjoyed all of them. I would just say look at a lot of them, drive them if possible and buy what you like best. We had the first 2 C's while our kids were home and since then it is just the 2 of us. For just us, I think I like the A better but they both have advantages and disadvantages. Good luck with your search!
Ed
🙂
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Txsurfer wrote:
Gjac,

Good points

We like to boon-dock when possible ( usually around 4-5 nights in one spot)' Our camping usually revolves around riding a side-by-side ATV that we will be towing. Most of our vacations will revolve around going to various ATV riding areas or the beach. I would say state/nat'l parks may be 10-25% of what we do. Our favorite camping so far has been on BLM land around Silverton CO. We plan to hit MOAB and various dune areas in the future. Because of this, max water cap , storage, and ground clearance are among the most important factors. I know that a DP is optimal but I really do not want another diesel in my life.
From what you are describing I think a short Class A would in general will have larger FW tanks,larger grey and black tanks, more basement storage, a better(HD) suspension,more CCC and more GC than a C. Someone mentioned a super C, I am not familiar with the water storage capacities or cost of those maybe he will give some more info on them.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Txsurfer wrote:
Gjac,

Good points

We like to boon-dock when possible ( usually around 4-5 nights in one spot)' Our camping usually revolves around riding a side-by-side ATV that we will be towing. Most of our vacations will revolve around going to various ATV riding areas or the beach. I would say state/nat'l parks may be 10-25% of what we do. Our favorite camping so far has been on BLM land around Silverton CO. We plan to hit MOAB and various dune areas in the future. Because of this, max water cap , storage, and ground clearance are among the most important factors. I know that a DP is optimal but I really do not want another diesel in my life.

Did ya ever think of a truck camper? some are pretty big. My wife and I use a truck camper when we offroad with side by sides and 4wheelers. If you need more water bring a tank on your trailer. Just a thought.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

StuckinTracy
Explorer
Explorer
Our first rig was a 24' Fleetwood "C" class. We had it one year and mostly did weekend trips. We then drove it to Omaha to see our daughter graduate, we lived in Ca. at the time. Going across Wyoming and Nebraska the winds were very bad and we got blown all over the road. My wife tried driving and only made it about 50 miles before she had me take it back, it was too much for her to handle. The week after we got back it was sold for a 33' Class A. The different in handling was tremendous. I'd say drive them both and compare for yourself. One other thing that I didn't see anyone mention. In the "C" class when I was driving at night, I would get a reflection from the white line on the overhang, almost like a strobe light. It was very distracting, to the point I would avoid driving at night. Good luck with what ever you decide.
10 Rally's and counting...

Mike (me-pilot)
Gail ("I'M THE BOSS"-navigator)

Stuck in a tent but looking

Good Sam Life members
FMCA 370826

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac,

Good points

2017 F250 PSD 4X4

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think how you want to use the MH will determine which is your best option. You have gotten a lot of good advice so far, you need to ask yourself what kind of camping you are going to do. Are you going to stay is private CG's on mostly paved roads with full hookups? Then ground clearance and water storage doesn't mean much. What size MH do you want? A 30 ft or less or a large 40 ft MH. How long will your trips be? W/E trips extended 3 mo trips in the summer? Do you want to carry a lot of stuff like bikes, fishing gear, rafts etc then large storage is important. How many people are going to travel with you? Once you determine how you will use the MH it will be easier to decide which one will fit your needs.

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
OLYLEN wrote:
The best is the one I have NOW. Each has a place and some advantage over the others.Now if I were a rich man and no other hobbies I would have a nice B 4x4, a 30'C with two slides and a 45' DP with ALL the goodies and an RV barn for them all and maybe a wife suited for each OH and the butler/maid.

LEN

🙂 I hear ya 🙂
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
The best is the one I have NOW. Each has a place and some advantage over the others.Now if I were a rich man and no other hobbies I would have a nice B 4x4, a 30'C with two slides and a 45' DP with ALL the goodies and an RV barn for them all and maybe a wife suited for each OH and the butler/maid.

LEN

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
For me the main difference is it is way easier to go to the coach from the seating position in a class A than a class C . If your towing you may want to think of a pusher as the towing capability is way higher than gas, annnnnd there is no hump(gas) between the seats. That alone gives you more living area.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had an A. For two people it's great. The front area around the driver and passenger seats is wasted space once you're in the campground. The big windshield is nice, except when you're driving in 27 degrees, which I have done a few times. The elbow room while driving the class A is nice, I really liked that. For sleeping more people the class C might be the better choice, considering it's the one with the sleeper over the cab version. They tell me that the class A rides more stable. The class A gasser that I had was a bear to drive in a strong crosswind. If I had it to do over I would take time to look at class Cs a little better. Not saying I would have gone that way. The A served us well.

One thing to note; if you're a DIY guy like me the A can be a bear to work on, depending on the design. In mine the radiator was stuffed way back in there. So, everything from radiator to water pump, master cylinder, was hard to get too. I think the van front might make service and repairs easier. I managed to get any repairs and service done on the A.

We really had some awesome trips in the old class A. When I retired, for the first time, we stayed in it for a month at the beaches.. Loved every minute of it. We took a lot of great trips in both freezing cold and heat and were always comfortable. Really, you will do fine with either an A or a C. Personally, I would look for the size you want, when in doubt go bigger (for most people). Then if used I would want new tires and a full servicing to get me started.

The chassis you choose might mean more in the long run than A or C. Get horsepower and don't worry so much about gas mileage. RVs love gas. There's mountains that need climbing.

Most of all, if it ain't fun, don't do it.