cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carrying spare bearing question

path1
Explorer
Explorer
If you carry a spare wheel bearing, is it packed with grease? What do you carry it in?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
27 REPLIES 27

wmgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
wmgeorge wrote:
Good luck finding a bearing not made in China, Timken how do you know? The Chinese CAN make good quality anything. The people who order and import choose. FYI are you aware either complete or parts of MRI machines are made in China whatever the supplier wants to pay. A old line US company no less.

Since my Timken bearings have USA etched right on them, my guess is they are not made in a country noted for making cheap junk. After inspecting and measuring dimensions and angles on the junk bearings, I decided to go with a proven brand.

I am glad you found a Timken bearing made in USA wish they all were, but they also have plants in India, China and who else knows where. They are a Global industry just like GM and John Deere. ****.
Retired Guy, too many Hobbies not enough time.
Master Electrician, Union HVAC/R, Home Machine/Fab shop

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
wmgeorge wrote:
Good luck finding a bearing not made in China, Timken how do you know? The Chinese CAN make good quality anything. The people who order and import choose. FYI are you aware either complete or parts of MRI machines are made in China whatever the supplier wants to pay. A old line US company no less.

Since my Timken bearings have USA etched right on them, my guess is they are not made in a country noted for making cheap junk. After inspecting and measuring dimensions and angles on the junk bearings, I decided to go with a proven brand.

wmgeorge
Explorer
Explorer

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply. I have seen first hand the failing cheap bearings, and replaced all the junk with Timken.

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
PaulJ2 wrote:
In my case lost a wheel bearing. Before i caught it (smoke flying), it damaged the spindle beyond repair.

With poor quality Chinese bearings, poor service and marginal axles, I wonder what you attribute the failure.

I guess i would have to say poor quality Chinese bearings. I serviced/repacked them a year ago my self. Inner bearing disintegrated into pieces and the grease burning was makeing all the smoke. Plus the now misaligned brake drum/hub caused the brake lining to drag and make even more heat/smoke. The adj nut was still in place.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
PaulJ2 wrote:
In my case lost a wheel bearing. Before i caught it (smoke flying), it damaged the spindle beyond repair.

With poor quality Chinese bearings, poor service and marginal axles, I wonder what you attribute the failure.

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer

KMLsquared
Explorer
Explorer
I carry the complete set up packed with greased and ready to go in a small round tupperware container packed completely full of grease.
The new seals are in the original boxes tapped to tupperware. Never needed it YET!
2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
I always do my own bearing and brake work. Also remove all of those stupid little hubcaps, particularly the ones that slide thru the wheel from the back so I can check the bearings without removing the wheel. Just pop the bearing cap open and take a look. Just buy four new bearing caps so the wheel and tire looks decent.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

wmgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
Carried a set on our TT camping trip to Alaska and back in 2013. Good luck finding a wheel bearing on some sections of the Alaskan Highway or even in Wyoming.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I carry innie and outie and grease. Never know when you may need it.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
path1 wrote:
If you carry a spare wheel bearing, is it packed with grease? What do you carry it in?

I carry a set of bearings and a new drum dry for emergencies. In my 37+ years of towing a TT with over 150K+ total miles the only trailer running gear problems I have had are two broken springs on my 1981 Prowler.

Larry
I've read of more broken springs than bearing failures while on the road, and blown tires of course. That is why I prefer Dexter's Torflex Suspension Axles. Unfortunately, I couldn't get them when I ordered our present Arctic Fox TT.

Not that those Torflex axils can't fail, but it would be rare if they did.

I carry a one complete bearing change pre-lubed in a heavy duty freezer zip-lock bag. Doubled bagged, to remain dirt and dust free and no leaking grease. Just as insurance. Fortunately, so far, never had to use the spare bearings.

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:

I carry a set of bearings and a new drum dry for emergencies. In my 37+ years of towing a TT with over 150K+ total miles the only trailer running gear problems I have had are two broken springs on my 1981 Prowler.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
That would be one way to insure a bearing would never fail. If you have one you will never need it.

Worked for me.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu