Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refrigerator Fan Question

sealevel_ram
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Norcold 1210 refer.

Is it normal for the fan to run all the time?
I have changed the temperature to the lowest setting and nothing happens. I know the cooling part cycles, but I continue to hear a fan noise no matter what the setting is.
It happens on electric or propane.

Is this normal?

The unit is a little over a year old and is out of warranty (of course), and I never noticed the fan noise until my last trip.

The refrigerator has started showing "LOW AC" when I have a lot of lights on, which may be a symptom of another problem.

Thanks
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green
6 REPLIES 6

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
Enermax Mamga Advance Cooling (UCMAA12A)
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

dclark1946
Explorer
Explorer
SCClockDr wrote:
Our reefer is in a slide. The OEM fans were sleeve bearing type. I replaced them with Enermax fans from Amazon. They sport magnetic levitating non-contact bearings, so they are very quiet and draw very little current. I bypassed the fin button with an attic fan thermostat from Lowe's. The thermostat is adjustable, I've set ours to come on in the 90's. The fridge runs low single digits freezer and sub 40's chillbox. We never hear the fans when inside.

Interested in which fan models you purchased as our new trailer has its Norcold fridge on a slide and we are not used to hearing the fan noise because our previous trailers did not have fridge fans.
Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2017 KZ Spree 263RKS
09 F250 V10

SCClockDr
Explorer
Explorer
Our reefer is in a slide. The OEM fans were sleeve bearing type. I replaced them with Enermax fans from Amazon. They sport magnetic levitating non-contact bearings, so they are very quiet and draw very little current. I bypassed the fin button with an attic fan thermostat from Lowe's. The thermostat is adjustable, I've set ours to come on in the 90's. The fridge runs low single digits freezer and sub 40's chillbox. We never hear the fans when inside.
George & Cathy
08 Titanium 28E33SA, XM, Honda EU 3000is, Trimetric, RotoChocks, LP Reg. Mod, 2 Gal Accum., WiFiRanger GO2/Mobile
04 Ram 3500 5.9 DRW, PAC PRXB E/B, 4" MBRP SS Exhaust, Gauges, Aux Tank/box, BrakeSmart.
ETCS (ss) USN Ret

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
In Fla it could be normal even in November. I would wait until a cold morning to decide if you have a problem.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Norcold OEM Fan T-stat turns fan(s) ON at 130*F and turns fan(s) OFF at 115*F
(Condenser FIN Temp NOT ambient air temp)

IF fridge is installed in a slideout you can access t-stat via upper sidewall vent/access cover

If NOT in a slideout....have to pull fridge to access t-stat & fans
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
The external fan is controlled by a simple snap disc thermostat affixed to an outboard cooling fin on the upper condenser. It might be bad and it's easy to replace and replacements can be had on Amazon, Dell Electronics or DigiKey.

You do need to determine what it's rated for temp wise however and that will rake a look see to determine.

The external fan could run constantly, depending on the ambient outside temperature in the outside fridge cavity and of course how hot it is where you camp. Lots of factors impact the fan on and off sequence.

On mine, the fans tend to run all day and shut off at night when it's cooler. I say fans because I added one, 2 or 3 is better than one in this case...and yours.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB