cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Custom built overland Ram camper

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty awesome setup for traveling off the beaten path.

GO ANYWHERE: THE EEXP OVERLAND ADVENTUREMOBILE
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS
20 REPLIES 20

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a well thought out and well designed unit.

The dude must have watched the Brady Bunch a lot when he was a kid judging from interior colors. :E :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Although I know it is only being done for vindictive reasons, I really don't care where the stuff comes from. The whole setup and the fact that he assembled it mostly himself is pretty cool. The only thing I would have changed is a manual p-pumped 12 valve instead. Although he does state that that was what he was looking for initially.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
In the truck camper section of this forum are a few hard core off roaders with more conventional campers. They seem to be in even tougher terrain.

The guy who owns that thing is a photographer/writer, and that is his work vehicle to get him to places to shoot pictures. If you go on his website then you will see that truck going through more than just the scenic pictures in the article. Especially the articles where he writes reviews for all the off road equipment on that truck like the Maxtrax and Warn winch.

Can add as well as Maxtrak you include several ARB products that he used. ARB is fairly big in the Australian RV scene and has a considerable prescence in the US Overland scene

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Lol, I called it.....

As far as the topic, that truck was (or maybe still is) for sale for $48,000.

EEXP: For Sale
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Maxtrax is an Australian company that is getting a bigger profile in the US
https://www.maxtrax.com.au

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
In the truck camper section of this forum are a few hard core off roaders with more conventional campers. They seem to be in even tougher terrain.

The guy who owns that thing is a photographer/writer, and that is his work vehicle to get him to places to shoot pictures. If you go on his website then you will see that truck going through more than just the scenic pictures in the article. Especially the articles where he writes reviews for all the off road equipment on that truck like the Maxtrax and Warn winch.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

X2

Bedlam

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Samsonsworld wrote:

That happened to me one time. Literally in the boonies near Queens, NM. Woman and kids pull up and park right next to my group. She was camping (or maybe living in a car, idk) and evidently she didn't bring much because she borrowed a lot of stuff. Weird and awkward, all rolled into one.

Yeah, that is a bit awkward.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
Samsonsworld wrote:
That's roughing it too much for me. Think I'd miss my private bath and king size bed.

Yeah, definitely not for everyone.

Although, after posting this, I have a suspicious feeling someone is going to go off the topic of this truck and post about Australian and global truck and campers like this. Just a hunch.

Thanks for mentioning the Australian RV industry but like your example they are not tow vehicles. More appropriate for the TC or Class C sections of this forum like your example

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
No, thanks. I can be more comfortable and go just as far into the boonies, with an 11 or 12 foot slide in camper on a Dodge CTD one ton 4X4. Been there, did that, decided the camper was too cramped, especially with more than two people in it.
I have seen Sero Scotty Class C motorhomes (chassis-mount campers) on Dodge truck chassis, both 4X2 and 4X4. Much nicer rigs than the one pictured. Sadly, they are no longer built.
I once thought of getting a surplus military 4X4 ambulance to convert into a back country camper, but decided I didn't want the expense or the work.
Now, in my twilight years, I am not all that interested in going where I have to have four wheel drive. If there is a road, there is no solitude, and the fishing isn't all that good. If there is no road, it is off limits to vehicle travel. So, if the Class A can't get there, I don't want to go.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
You know what will end up happening? Youโ€™ll be out in the middle of knowhere and someone will pull up and camp right next to you!

That happened to me one time. Literally in the boonies near Queens, NM. Woman and kids pull up and park right next to my group. She was camping (or maybe living in a car, idk) and evidently she didn't bring much because she borrowed a lot of stuff. Weird and awkward, all rolled into one.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
You know what will end up happening? Youโ€™ll be out in the middle of knowhere and someone will pull up and camp right next to you!

It's funny because it is true. My wife and I spent a night by the Gemini bridges out in Moab in the back of my old Jeep(this was many moons ago). Went to bed and there was nobody around for miles. Woke up the next morning and there were two other Jeeps camping out within 50 yards from us.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!