cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Andersen hitch lock lever location?

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering an Andersen hitch. Getting the heavy Curt hitch out is too much hassle when I want to load the cabover. My only question is where do folks locate the locking lever? Andersen says within 30" of the centerline to prevent damage from truck rails on unlevel ground. I'm thinking it would be about as easy and simple to attach it to the back side of my pinbox. I would have to get between the tailgate and 5th to reach it but I'm OK with that.
Your input is welcome.....
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive
15 REPLIES 15

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I watched a video on the Andersen and it was suggested that some users put super strong magnets on the handle mount and just stick it to the pin box. Not sure what those fancy magnets are called now.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
I read the Andersen install instructions about screwing into a frame member under the overhang. I beat around under there trying to find some framing and never did. After I hit my head on the pinbox I thought.....put it there.

:B ouch :h :S
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I read the Andersen install instructions about screwing into a frame member under the overhang. I beat around under there trying to find some framing and never did. After I hit my head on the pinbox I thought.....put it there.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
confession time ... I clamped the handle to my pin box flange with a quick clamp 5 years ago with the intent to drill and bolt them together ... one of these days I may get around to doing that .... or not. 🙂

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
TxGearhead wrote:
jkwilson wrote:
I got a 2-1/2" round magnet at Harbor Freight. Bolted the handle to it and stuck it to the pin box. Just don't stick the magnet any place to try it out. It is a son of a gun to pull off without anything bolted to it.

Very interesting. Good excuse for a trip to Harbor Freight.

This is the one I used: Round Magnet
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
jkwilson wrote:
I got a 2-1/2" round magnet at Harbor Freight. Bolted the handle to it and stuck it to the pin box. Just don't stick the magnet any place to try it out. It is a son of a gun to pull off without anything bolted to it.

Very interesting. Good excuse for a trip to Harbor Freight.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

mekkerl
Explorer
Explorer
Mine comes out the passenger side as well.
Although -- regardless where it comes out...I've chose to not attach it to anything. So it just hangs and sits in the bed of the truck, along with the emergency brake wire, and the power cord. I've had to remove the king-pin adapter twice already this season. So it was nice not to have to un-bolt it from the camper.
When not in use, it goes right up into the back of the pinbox, along with the power cord and brake cable.
Luke & Carolyn
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
2013 Sierra 3500HD Duramax CC SRW SB 4x4
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Blazing Zippers wrote:
Our locking handle is screwed into the bottom of the fifth wheel, half way between the pin box and the side of the trailer. Works great. No cable flop and is easy to see from rear view mirror.

I think that is a common place, I believe thats where Andersen shows to put them. I chose like some to mount on the rear of the pin box on the drivers side.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I have my block reversed (king pinin front, ball in the rear) such that the cable exits the block on the passenger side, loops around the back of the pin box on the passenger side, then affixed to the pin box flange at the rear. Keeps the cable relatively snug and in place, without any sharp turns or kinks, but very little slack. So, no flop.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our locking handle is screwed into the bottom of the fifth wheel, half way between the pin box and the side of the trailer. Works great. No cable flop and is easy to see from rear view mirror.

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
I have mine mounted to the pin box like those above. The cable is stiff enough that it doesn't flop around and you can't put too much of a bend in it as the center wire will bind.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Y'all have any issues with the cable flopping around? I've got some stick on plastic things designed to run a small cable tie through them. Works good on the boat to secure electronic wiring. Thought I could use 1 or 2 to secure the cable to the underside of the 5th overhang.
Any others ideas are welcome..
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
gkainz wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
I'm considering an Andersen hitch. Getting the heavy Curt hitch out is too much hassle when I want to load the cabover. My only question is where do folks locate the locking lever? Andersen says within 30" of the centerline to prevent damage from truck rails on unlevel ground. I'm thinking it would be about as easy and simple to attach it to the back side of my pinbox. I would have to get between the tailgate and 5th to reach it but I'm OK with that.
Your input is welcome.....

That's where mine is ... driver's side pin box flange, pointing outboard.

Ditto. Works great there.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB