cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auto step problem

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
We were camping this weekend. I was riding in my golf cart and noticed a mh in the overflow lot. The owner was underneath the coach with his tool box open and the steps out. I swung by and asked if he had a problem. He did and said the steps would not retract. I told him it could be the little cheap magnet on the door could have fallen off. He realized that he found a magnet on his steps while camping. He grabbed the magnet and stuck it back on the double sided tape and they retracted just fine. I knew this as it happened to me before. Just wanted to repost this in hopes it might save some grief for someone else.
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
3 REPLIES 3

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
HaH! Great story. The best fixes are the simple fixes.

While the guy was under there, hopefully he cleaned and lubed everything, zip tied the cables up to the frame so road debris can't catch on it, checked and replaced any rusted hardware holding the assembly to the RV, and cleaned the electrical contacts. Do that stuff once, and seldom ever need to do it again.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
Been Rvving for years and never had that happen to me, but wouldn't be surprised if it did someday. Never would have thought of the magnet. Now all I have to do is remember this post when it does happen to me. I can just see myself in 3-4 years when my steps won't go in saying, "I remember a thread telling of an easy fix for a step not going up...what the hell did it say".:S
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent point. Sometimes we overlook the simple things that cause problems.

Thanks for posting. I'm sure you saved him a lot of grief.