cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I need a distribution hitch on a air ride diesel pusher

r686988
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 35 ft. Winnebago Journey diesel pusher, 10,000# hitch with 1000# tongue weight rated. My question is do I need to use a weight distribution hitch, my enclosed trailer is 26 ft. and 7000# on the axles loaded. I have read that it is not good to use the WDH with air ride suspension, is this true? Anybody with experience either way?
8 REPLIES 8

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think not. I'm not sure how much of the tongue weight could actually be shifted to the front axle on a self-leveling air suspension chassis, assuming the hitch is actually designed for lifting the rear of the motorhome.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just be careful to get enough tongue weight so you don't have swaying.

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
I have never used WD with mine. My trailer rides low enough that the WD bars would be constantly dragging.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Refer to the towing section in the owner's manual of your coach.

There, it will state Winnebago's policy on using the coach to tow, and whether a WDH should or should not be used.

Failing that, refer to the ratings on the receiver itself. Typical receivers have two ratings, one with WDH, and one without (weight-carrying or WC rating). If there is no mention of a WDH with the 1000/10000 rating, then the vehicle and receiver are rated to tow that full amount with no WDH required.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

llr
Explorer
Explorer
if the tongue weight is under 1000lbs I would try it without, it sounds like you may be close. Also check rear axles weight as mentioned above

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I can't see how it could actually put any weight forward on the coach.
At any rate, I don't think it's needed and I would try it without first. If it drives OK and the TT doesn't wander around, your good to go.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
While it probably won't hurt to use one, IMO you don't really NEED it.
The same goes for "sway control". If your trailer is properly built and properly loaded, it probably is not NEEDED, but using it won't hurt anything.
Enjoy your travels.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
There's no reason you can't use air ride with WD. I think that's a myth based on the fact that light-truck air suspensions had you turn-off auto-levelling until the WD bars were installed. That said... is your receiver rated for WD? If if doesn't have a WD rating, and is only a 4-bolt style receiver, it probably is not designed fro those forces.

Probably just need to scale it to know if you need WD. If you're over the rear axle weight with the trailer, WD might bring you back under. Just stop at any closed ODOT scale. I think it's unlikely your front axle would unload too much. The one by the Corvallis landfill on 99w has a nice wide driveway, in case you wan to do a 4 corner weight, and it's almost never actually open.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST