Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newest newbie with a old-school PUP

bluedogz1
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t know if I’m lucky, or not...

Ran across a screaming deal on CL, $100.

I bought a 1968 Puma PUP from the original owner.

It appears structurally sound, canvas is all there, no leaks, garage stored. No signs of mice either!

So, now- what do I do?

-Canvas has a few small tears, no greater than 4-6”. It’s tempting just to duct-tape then, but there has to be a better way.
-canvas was originally waterproofed (owner says) but I doubt it still is. Can it be restored?
-two of the four helper springs are broken. Is there a manual or some source to get parts and instructions to fix?
-I want to pull it with a 2005 Toyota Corolla. Am I crazy?

I’m sure there will be more, but this is a good start?
10 REPLIES 10

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Check out these forums specifically for popups. They will have all sorts of info on there.

Popup Portal

Popup Explorer
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this site for Puma camper history and info and this site for parts. It looks like you can buy all new canvas for $1k!
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

bluedogz1
Explorer
Explorer
aftermath wrote:
You mentioned broken "helper" springs. I am assuming you are talking about the leaf springs. I just replaced a set on my '79 Starcraft. I purchased them locally. They were a perfect fit and I did the install myself. Not a difficult thing.

Error on my part- I’m talking about the springs that “help” lift the top when setting up.

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
You mentioned broken "helper" springs. I am assuming you are talking about the leaf springs. I just replaced a set on my '79 Starcraft. I purchased them locally. They were a perfect fit and I did the install myself. Not a difficult thing.

As far as canvas goes, I would follow the advice of others here. See if you can sew it up first before you grab the duct tape. I have used tape in a place or two but usually only for very small tears.

Canvas, real canvas, can get dirty. I would set it up and wash it with a mild detergent. Wetting it down again can get the canvas to swell up and seal out the water. If that doesn't work then I would look into applying some sort of waterproofing product. Check with a company that deals with canvas for ideas.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the NTU PUP. Real canvas is really good as already mentioned just call a boat dealer a boat dealer and ask who does that work. Waterproofing is no big deal, silicone water-guard (avail at Wally World) and is a spray, I have used it for years for everything I need to be water proofed, just spray it on, I usually do 2 sprays tho, but the can says only one coat is needed. Good Luck and Happy Camping
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

bluedogz1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it does have real canvas. Is that good?

Another lucky stroke- GFs cousin owns an upholstery shop!

Still hoping for sone kind of manual... asked at a couple of car shops and got blank stares.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
bluedogz1 wrote:
I don’t know if I’m lucky, or not...

Ran across a screaming deal on CL, $100.

I bought a 1968 Puma PUP from the original owner.

It appears structurally sound, canvas is all there, no leaks, garage stored. No signs of mice either!

So, now- what do I do?

-Canvas has a few small tears, no greater than 4-6”. It’s tempting just to duct-tape then, but there has to be a better way.
-canvas was originally waterproofed (owner says) but I doubt it still is. Can it be restored?
-two of the four helper springs are broken. Is there a manual or some source to get parts and instructions to fix?
-I want to pull it with a 2005 Toyota Corolla. Am I crazy?

I’m sure there will be more, but this is a good start?

Congrats on your new to you camper! Sounds like you found the deal of the century. Used pop ups are not cheap.

Please, step away from the duct tape!!!
I'd bet that pup has real canvas.
1. Just take it down to your nearest boat marina and ask who does canvas repairs. They will patch it and it won't cost a lot either.

2. The springs? Just take it to a local auto repair shop again an inexpensive repair.

Sounds like with a few extra bucks you will have a VERY nice camper to make memories with your family. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
call flyte camp up in or they can get you anything you need for it

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
You should be able to sew patches on the canvas. Get some similar weight/color material, wet it down and dry it in the sun before using as a patch (to pre-shrink it.) You will need heavy needle and thread---google around about "how to patch canvas" and I am 100% sure you can find info and videos on it.

Get some info on your Corolla--they are tough, but you may need to modify it with some stiffer shocks and maybe a tranny cooler. And don't expect to go fast LOL.

Give it a good scrubbing, lube and wax any fiberglass. You may have something better than anything you can buy now.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We had a small pup that we pulled all over the east coat with a Subaru Impreza and it worked great. The Sub had a tow rating of 2500 lbs.

I would guess that the thing has REAl canvas on it. If so, you can probably sew the canvas back together. I would get in touch either by phone or on the net with someone that makes sails for boats. I'm sure with a little bit of research, you should be able to get some info on waterproofing that stuff.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW