cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water heater issue

DH1644
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I have a 1990 Fleetwood Southwind and the water heater seems to be functioning but when I turn on the faucet it runs hot for a few seconds at best. I googled it and looked for valves that control it coming into the rig and the only ones I found are near the outdoor shower area. Two are drains and one is to fill fresh water tank. I have also “ burped” the relief valve which released very hot water. I’m at a loss. Any help appreciated!
20 REPLIES 20

DH1644
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
DH1644 wrote:
My WH pilot light is now staying lit on my panel above the stove. Is it supposed to? It came on when I first started it, then went out and seemed to function. I just turned it off and back on. It’s still staying lit

That's not a pilot light, it's a fault light.

I take it you didn't do as I suggest and check out YouTube?

Sorry I had to work. Newman Fulltimer thank you so much for suggesting under the sink. I dismantled the whole cabinet area only to find all I had to do was pull out the drawer and voila... that beautiful bypass valve!!!! Thank you all so very much! I am new to this... and yes clueless... but I learn fast. I appreciate all the help! Y’all are wonderful. Hot water happy dance gal says THANK YOU!!!!!!!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
DH1644 wrote:
My WH pilot light is now staying lit on my panel above the stove. Is it supposed to? It came on when I first started it, then went out and seemed to function. I just turned it off and back on. It’s still staying lit

That's not a pilot light, it's a fault light.

I take it you didn't do as I suggest and check out YouTube?

cooper841
Explorer
Explorer
Check outside storage compartment near W H for bypass.
Dana Cooper
Chipper(Lab)
2007 Fleetwood Fiesta LX
2003 Harley Fatboy mighty hauler lift
2010 Kia Soul

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
from the sound of your frustration and can't find the right valves, maybe you should take it to a dealer and let them show you where to look and while you are there have them fix your problem

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
the check valve is on the hot WT ;; if its stuck u will get no water out of hot tap

MrWizard
might be a check valve at/near the back of the WH that is stuck/clogged

you will have to get access to the back of the WH, to get to it

i think you will find it on the cold/fresh water inlet line to the WH

its a one way device let fresh/cold water into the heater and not let Hot water back out into the cold/fresh line, because the WH becomes pressurized

if it clogs up you get the symptoms you describe
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DH1644
Explorer
Explorer
DH1644 wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
they use to put bypass valves under the bathroom sink under the cabinet panel it pulls up and they are under it

I’ll go look. Thanks

There is a place under the shelf where the storage is and it is screwed down. Also a screwed on panel for access to the large space to the right of the sink

DH1644
Explorer
Explorer

DH1644
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
they use to put bypass valves under the bathroom sink under the cabinet panel it pulls up and they are under it

I’ll go look. Thanks

DH1644
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:
DH1644 wrote:
gutfelt wrote:
DH1644 wrote:
The shower is like a sink with hot and cold knobs, they are off.
I can’t seem to find and winterization valves
I have no clue if it was flushed before I got it. Everything was winterized last year according to the place I bought it from. The water from the relief valve runs clear. I don’t know if that means it’s not full of ****, lol

most likely from what you described It is the WH by pass system is still on from winterization no matter how much mineralization in the HWT it should still flow hot water longer than you say
look in the HWT tank area and see if theres a hose that runs vertical from outlet to inlet

The Only tank I find is the fresh by the shower. The panel for the WH is on the other side so I’m assuming the tank is behind that which would be the bathroom area. Is it maybe behind the sink area in there?

I can’t seem to find easy access to the area. Under the sink is just plumbing and small storage. To the right of that is a large space enclosed. There is a pull out drawer for toiletries. Beneath that is a switch for the water pump.

yes seen them (wh) under bathroom sinks many times

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
DH1644 wrote:
gutfelt wrote:
DH1644 wrote:
I have no clue if it was flushed before I got it. Everything was winterized last year according to the place I bought it from. The water from the relief valve runs clear. I don’t know if that means it’s not full of ****, lol

most likely from what you described It is the WH by pass system is still on from winterization no matter how much mineralization in the HWT it should still flow hot water longer than you say
look in the HWT tank area and see if theres a hose that runs vertical from outlet to inlet

The Only tank I find is the fresh by the shower. The panel for the WH is on the other side so I’m assuming the tank is behind that which would be the bathroom area. Is it maybe behind the sink area in there?

yes seen them (wh) under bathroom sinks many times

DH1644
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:
DH1644 wrote:

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
DH1644 wrote: