cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance when storing out of state from home address

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who or how do you insure your RV when storing out of state from your home address and registered tags? I was using Blue Sky with no problem having Florida plates and storing in Texas. Unfortunately Blue Sky stopped insuring RV's and my broker changed over to Progressive.They issued insurance which says Nevada on the top as that is where i have just stored the RV this week before continuing on my travels later. Just realized that this will probably cause a problem with Florida DVLC and waiting on a reply from my broker.

Thanks
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com
10 REPLIES 10

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
I live in Ohio, had trailer in Georgia...

State Farm... Ohio agent for Ohio.... Georgia agent for Georgia . Easy.

Thanks. I will need to look again at them as in the past they would not insure foreign drivers licences
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Ohio, had trailer in Georgia...

State Farm... Ohio agent for Ohio.... Georgia agent for Georgia . Easy.

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dvlc stands for driver vehicle licencing and the wrong term for Florida

Insurance companies/brokers are the ones who caused this problem through not understanding each state requirements properly. Whilst I have solved the problem by as usual doing all the leg work myself, I had hoped for feedback from others in the sAme situation.

The answer is that you have to take out full time insurance cover even though you do not use the vehicle for the normal 150 days plus. This is when you normally have to take it out.
Or every time you locate your vehicle in a different storage state you change the tags and also have to have a local personnel address.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
thestoloffs wrote:
What is Florida DVLC?

I asked before and got no answer.

HE needs to contact an independent insurance agent or two.

In other words, he needs an expert in the insurance field......NOT a bunch of amateurs throwing around a bunch of opinions that probably don't apply.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
What is Florida DVLC?

Vehicle licensing is handled in each county locally & processed by the Florida Dept. of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles (DHSMV).

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
doxiemom11 wrote:
Not understanding what the problem is either. We are full-time and prior to becomming S Dakota residents, had our motorhome licensed and insured in MI, financed in MI and went south for the winter. We put storage insurance coverage only on it while it was sitting while in the state of AL. Our finance company simply asked the address where it was stored.

Previously we had no problem storing in Texas and just giving a storage address on our Florida insurance and tags.
The problem now is that the agents for Progressive put Nevada insurance cover on the vehicle which is Florida registered (Progressive said it had to be changed to there due to moving storage). I have just been advised by Florida DVLC they will not accept out of state insurance.We have a myrvmail.com address in Florida hence the tags there. Florida DVLC has just advised us that this is not acceptable and we must have Florida insurance. On top of this we are not US citizens and have foreign drivers licences which was why we have a Florida myrvmail address which is acceptable to Florida DVLC.
Progressive have now come back today saying that whilst we could have Full Time RV insurance we had to have another vehicle registered and kept at our Florida address!

Hence the question what insurance companies do people use for storage and will the tag state allow them if in a different state (RV mail address for Full timers)

Anyone out there have a myrvmail.com/goodsammail address and how do you get on?

As a foot note we already pay over $300 a year extra as non residents when we are only allowed in the US for less than the time that insurance cover starts for Full Timers (150 days). Full time insurance is another $300 as well. Yes, trying to travel in the US is getting very difficult and expensive for people who wish to see it and be legal!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not understanding what the problem is either. We are full-time and prior to becomming S Dakota residents, had our motorhome licensed and insured in MI, financed in MI and went south for the winter. We put storage insurance coverage only on it while it was sitting while in the state of AL. Our finance company simply asked the address where it was stored.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ wt h does this have to do with insurance?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most storage lots have a clause or sign or both "Not responsible for loss or damage" They also provide and advertise SECURITY.

Now I am not a lawyer.. but you might wish to ask one why I typed this. See how loudly he laughs at those signs or clauses.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
cencerrita wrote:
Just realized that this will probably cause a problem with Florida DVLC and waiting on a reply from my broker.

What is DVLC ?
I think it will NOT be a problem.
Wait for an answer from your broker.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"