cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida's Busy

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Decided to head down to Florida the first of January. Somewhat surprised the number of parks are booked. After a couple dozen emails and phone calls we got in a few places.

I didn't want to commit to one place for the whole winter since it's our first winter trip down.

This is what I got.

January - Southern Oaks RV Resort, 5 miles north of The Villages
February - Christmas RV Park, Christmas
March - Orchid Lake RV Resort, New Port Richey

S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS
31 REPLIES 31

soren
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:

I stayed at Williston Crossings one winter and can highly recommend them. Great place and gets top reviews. Only about 20 miles from Gainesville and not too far to get to the west coast. And I don't agree at all with the tone of one of the previous comments about Williston Crossings. People who stay 4-6 months during the winter tend to view these resorts as their 'home', not as a temporary campground. They come back year after year. I do know some people did tend to make improvements (laid down golf grass sod, etc.) to their individual sites, etc. So what ? It DOES look nice. The RV resort I'm in now uses crushed shell for ther individual sites and some people have used their own funds to replace it with cement ! Who cares ? People must like it here because they have about 500 sites and it's full all winter.

My .02

I just bumped into this thread, after being away from the forum a while. I just wanted to clear up a misunderstanding here. First, I was stating facts, not opinions. I actually ran into several folks who were so unhappy with some of the bizarrely rude behavior in the office, that they vowed to never return. I saw it in the office, and to a lesser degree, out in the park. Second, the "volunteer time" I speak of is totally uncompensated labor, done to maintain and improve the actual privately owned park, NOT a seasonal site that you occupy year after year. This is NOT workcamping, this is putting in days a week as a carpenter, grounds keeper, laborer, etc...with zero compensation, and no obvious logic behind doing so.
As I stated previously, it's a beautiful park, with a lot of great, friendly guests. It does however have a few quirks to be aware of. I spent a season there, and enjoyed it.

John_I_Haggerty
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Florida is busy, but I don't see it that way. I live year round in a RV Resort in Sarasota. During the winter there are more than enough activities within the resort to keep me busy. We don't leave the resort much during the winter. I still try to get to the bay to fish once a week, but I time it to avoid traffic. After the snow birds leave, the area clams nicely allowing enjoyment of the famous beaches and water.
2008 Keystone Cougar 31BHS

2008 Ram 3500 Laramie Quad Cab 4x4
Inferno Red, Khaki leather, CTD, 68RFE
Trailer tow, Anti-spin, Sunroof, Tube steps, DVD based GPS, etc...

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
In Bonnet lake near Sebring until dec 1 ,awesome place ,very much old Florida. Mid 80's everyday now.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
spud1957 wrote:
GoPackGo wrote:
I stayed for a week in Christmas RV park on Hwy 50 just east of Orlando and I did like it there too - but all sand. Costly at the daily rate but way better monthly rates. Quiet with good access to the Orlando area in general, and you can get to the Disney parks easily using SR 408 and then 417 (both toll roads). close to I-95 for access to Daytona/Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach day trips.

Nice to hear. We are there for the month of February.

All sand? That's okay. Way better than snow.

I recommend Goodfellas Pizzeria near the intersection of SR50 and Alafaya Road (434). Also Dixie Crossroads (seafood) in Titusville if you get over that way.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
I stayed for a week in Christmas RV park on Hwy 50 just east of Orlando and I did like it there too - but all sand. Costly at the daily rate but way better monthly rates. Quiet with good access to the Orlando area in general, and you can get to the Disney parks easily using SR 408 and then 417 (both toll roads). close to I-95 for access to Daytona/Port Canaveral/Cocoa Beach day trips.

Nice to hear. We are there for the month of February.

All sand? That's okay. Way better than snow.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in the Orlando area for 15 tears before retiring and am now doing the fulltimer lifestyle (ending my 4th year).

There's an old saying - 'The further North you go in Florida, the more Southern it gets'. Veru true IMHO. The panhandle is definitely Old Florida.

Florida is a really long state so there is a huge winter temp difference between northern and southern Florida. Using the I-75 mile markers, I am about 300 miles from the Georgia state border. Winters up along I-10 are much colder then winters down near Punta Gorda where I am now. And you pay for that. It's cheaper to stay in northern Florida during the winter then in southern Florida. Many people use I-4 as the dividing line.

State Parks are great and do fill up fast.

I would do some internet research this winter (I use RVPARKREVIEWS.COM) in some areas you might like. Read the reviews. Then make some calls in March/Spril of 2018 to make a reservation for the following winter. And make a reservation for the NEXT Winter before you leave that park in the Spring. Maybe make side trips to other places to check them out in case you might want to move.

Keep in mind that many parks give preference depending on your length of stay.

I stayed at Williston Crossings one winter and can highly recommend them. Great place and gets top reviews. Only about 20 miles from Gainesville and not too far to get to the west coast. And I don't agree at all with the tone of one of the previous comments about Williston Crossings. People who stay 4-6 months during the winter tend to view these resorts as their 'home', not as a temporary campground. They come back year after year. I do know some people did tend to make improvements (laid down golf grass sod, etc.) to their individual sites, etc. So what ? It DOES look nice. The RV resort I'm in now uses crushed shell for ther individual sites and some people have used their own funds to replace it with cement ! Who cares ? People must like it here because they have about 500 sites and it's full all winter.

Anyway, I like it in SW Florida. It's WARM all winter. I'm about 3 1/2 hours from the Keys. And the recreatiom opportunities are pretty much boundless. Plus I can wear shorts every day.

My .02

clayway
Explorer
Explorer
empty nest,
the state parks are probably filled but finding a campground should not be an issue in Central and North Florida

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
clayway wrote:
I always read these threads with interest, I was born & raised in Fl have lived in the Keys, So Fl & now central Fl (Daytona Beach), have had an RV here for 40 years.
Yes how things have changed, south Fl is a challenge, but I will tell you you can still find paradise north of I-4. Yes weather can be cool some days an occasional freeze but I would consider it perfect. So don't let those who do not live here year round from swaying you from wintering in our beautiful state,
Just an FYI, last week I-4 was designated the most dangerous highway in the us, so no reason to cross it, lol

Are there opportunities for snowbirding in that area on short notice? We are retiring next year, but are not able to make reservations 11 mos out. State parks and such are more our speed.
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to check out Santa Rosa Beach on my way out of the state later this month. This is my first visit to Florida in an RV. I,m a city boy at heart and confess to really liking the Clermont/Orlando area the best so far. (I don,t need to be near the ocean to be happy.)

diftw
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
On our retirement trip, we spent as much time north of I-4 as south. We were surprised by how different the Panhandle is from south Florida.

When we got home after 6 months, 6000 miles and 16 states, we asked each other if any one place stood out as a place where we could live. We both agreed on the Santa Rosa Beach / 30A area.

We just retuned from a week at Topsail a week ago. We agree-that area is very nice. We know it will be cooler there but would like to snowbird there when we retire.
Dave and Anne
2016 Grand Design 337RLS
2015 Ford F350 XLT 6.7l 4x4
Reese Elite 18K Hitch
Rotochocks
Rota Flex by Trail Air Pin Box
Barker 4-wheel 25 gallon tote
Nights Camped in 2009 - 33
2010 - 37
2011 - 31

2012 - 35
2013 - 42
2014 - 45
2015 - 46
2016 - 51
2017 - 43

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
On our retirement trip, we spent as much time north of I-4 as south. We were surprised by how different the Panhandle is from south Florida.

When we got home after 6 months, 6000 miles and 16 states, we asked each other if any one place stood out as a place where we could live. We both agreed on the Santa Rosa Beach / 30A area.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

clayway
Explorer
Explorer
I always read these threads with interest, I was born & raised in Fl have lived in the Keys, So Fl & now central Fl (Daytona Beach), have had an RV here for 40 years.
Yes how things have changed, south Fl is a challenge, but I will tell you you can still find paradise north of I-4. Yes weather can be cool some days an occasional freeze but I would consider it perfect. So don't let those who do not live here year round from swaying you from wintering in our beautiful state,
Just an FYI, last week I-4 was designated the most dangerous highway in the us, so no reason to cross it, lol

retispcsi
Explorer
Explorer
We are the third most populous state in the nation. So there are a lot of residents year round. Also we have some of the best state parks in the nation. You need to book the 11 months in advance in many cases. Private parks go fast and can be expensive in South Fla. or Southwest Fla. The trick in Fla especially south of I-4 is to book early.
2015 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA. 2014 Ram CC DRW 4x4 60 gal RDS Aisin 4:10.
DW, Shadow, Remington and Ron. Living the good life till the next one arrives.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
soren, that is odd. You sure they were not prison workers from the nearest county jail! LOL!

Seriously, we have been to a state park in upper South Carolina where they used "trusties" (prisoners who earned trust) to clean up trash and debris in the park.