cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cab and chasis with utility body re-classified for scales

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found this today because my travels took me by a Ca. weigh scale that had 5 officers (3 motorcycles, 2 trucks) ready to pull over vehicles not entering the scales. Pulled over the side of the road were 2-3 trucks with contractor boxes. They looked to be your typical 3500 series with utility beds and maybe lumber racks. I happened to be in the VW as it's being turned into the dealership tonight! My 5500 will be a daily driver for a couple months and I'll probably creep into a scale soon to see what might be required for a personal vehicle. I'm registered for 19K with stickers on both doors. They were all-out enforcing today!

DO THESE VEHICLES HAVE TO STOP AT THE SCALES?

PICKUP -- It depends on the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), unladen weight, and bed of the truck.

GVWR under 11,500 pounds, unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length -- NO.
GVWR 11,500 pounds or more, unladen weight 8,001 pounds or more, or not equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length -- YES.

Discussion: According to CVC Section 471, pickups are a motor truck by definition, which is required to stop at the scales per CVC Section 2813. However, all California weigh stations have signs stating: "No Pickups." So, if a vehicle meet the definition of pickup in CVC Section 471, it is not required to stop at the scales because of the signs stating: "No Pickups." If the pickup has a GVWR of 11,500 pounds or more, an unladen weight 8,001 pounds, not equipped with an open-box type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length, or the pickup bed has been removed and a utility body or flat bed has been mounted, then it no longer meets the definition of pickup in CVC Section 471; it is then a "motor truck" under CVC Section 410 and required to stop at the weigh stations.

PICKUP WITH CAMPER SHELL -- NO (May have to stop under certain conditions. Contact California Highway Patrol Commercial Vehicle Section for verification (916-843-3400))

Discussion: It can also display passenger vehicle plates, as long as the cargo in the bed is not being hauled for compensation.

PICKUP WITH CAB / CREW CAB WITH BOX-TYPE BED -- YES

Discussion: The utility or box bed has to enter weigh stations.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body
50 REPLIES 50

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:

how would they determine if non comercial truck carying camper is overweight??

DOT doesn't worry about small trucks overweight.
I had a talk with one of the officers about those 3500 series trucks pulling 5-cars haulers and his answer was "we did not get any reports about them being a problem".
But what they will check are lights, side extended mirrors and such.
Typical money maker for them are emergency brake system on trailers.
Those -even mandatory for decades were neglected by designers and owners and very few actually work.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
mike/kellie wrote:
I promised an update and today I drove through the same set of scales I mentioned at the top. I went through the empty lane and pulled over to talk to the officer inside the booth. I knocked on the side door and he unlocked the door and motioned me inside.
Traffic was light and he answered as many questions as he could keeping his eyes on the commute traffic. YES...once a month the scales will do a sting looking for evasive motorists driving any truck with a gvw of 10,000 lbs or more WITH a non-OEM truck bed. You fill in the blank...cargo, flat, box etc. There a few transporters with just a 5th wheel hitch and mud flaps (no bed)and they will get stopped. He would point at pickup trucks driving by as examples and say either they should be stopping or not.
It stemmed from observing these types of trucks by-passing a large set of scales going towards Sacramento in Cordelia. In 4 hours, they had cited over 100 drivers not observing the "open scales" signage and driving on by.
I asked and was told to continue driving through all scales even when the camper is mounted. Pretty much sums it up. He did mention that newer trucks with a GVW of 11,400 and stock truck beds are in a grey area now.
I would be curious to hear others chime in with actual accounts of any similar experiences.

When you say cited,,does that mean a monetary fine ?
How much?
Seems to me just like another money grabing scheme..

Im all for enforcing safety,but what puzles me is,,
how would they determine if non comercial truck carying camper is overweight??

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
finsruskw wrote:
A lot of the B$ in many states is because they are BROKE!!
$afety Fir$t is the real rea$on.
+ 2 The driving force.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
It was nice that he let you in and took the time to answer questions. Not sure if I would stop or not in my truck. It would depend on what things looked like and if I was in a hurry or not. Although I would never live in Kali, they do have some nice NP's I like. Now that dope is legal there, I don't expect it to get any better. Time will tell.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of the B$ in many states is because they are BROKE!!
$afety Fir$t is the real rea$on.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
In all those years in CA I have never seen weigh scale chasing and yes, I pay attention to those things.
I think "once a month" is on the officer wish list

Bedlam
I have not stopped at a CA truck scale with my setup on either of our trips through NorCal. Either I got a free pass because I was out of state, I looked too much like a motor home or they were not stinging when we have rolled by.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't ask that one. I had a lot and he did his best to answer while observing both the highway and scale traffic. He chose to ignore 1 question that was a "what if" and said we could go all day with this stuff. I will go through loaded if the camper is on. It was interesting to hear him explain the once a month sting set up at any scales. If you could imagine a 2 lane scale operation with 6-7 CHP on bikes and in cars just beyond the scales, it was quite the site. Today, it was 2 guys in the kiosk size office and no chase vehicle.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike/kellie - did the officer tell you whether you are to wait in line with commercial trucks to weigh or can you use the empty lane?

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I promised an update and today I drove through the same set of scales I mentioned at the top. I went through the empty lane and pulled over to talk to the officer inside the booth. I knocked on the side door and he unlocked the door and motioned me inside.
Traffic was light and he answered as many questions as he could keeping his eyes on the commute traffic. YES...once a month the scales will do a sting looking for evasive motorists driving any truck with a gvw of 10,000 lbs or more WITH a non-OEM truck bed. You fill in the blank...cargo, flat, box etc. There a few transporters with just a 5th wheel hitch and mud flaps (no bed)and they will get stopped. He would point at pickup trucks driving by as examples and say either they should be stopping or not.
It stemmed from observing these types of trucks by-passing a large set of scales going towards Sacramento in Cordelia. In 4 hours, they had cited over 100 drivers not observing the "open scales" signage and driving on by.
I asked and was told to continue driving through all scales even when the camper is mounted. Pretty much sums it up. He did mention that newer trucks with a GVW of 11,400 and stock truck beds are in a grey area now.
I would be curious to hear others chime in with actual accounts of any similar experiences.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
zcookiemonstar wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
zcookiemonstar wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Yeah, go to AZ, they will charge you "entrance fee" even if you are in the state for 20 miles, like driving I15

Who charges you this "fee" California or Arizona? I have driven into Arizona and I never had to pay a fee.

Did you pull to the weight station aka entrance point?

No I did not but you are not answering my question who is charging a fee California or Arizona? How much?
My post was referring to AZ entrance fee.
Per my memory they charged me $15 entrance fee for F450.
I was driving I-15 that is cutting AZ corner on the route for 35 miles.
That makes darn expensive per mile state crossing fee.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
zcookiemonstar wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Yeah, go to AZ, they will charge you "entrance fee" even if you are in the state for 20 miles, like driving I15

Who charges you this "fee" California or Arizona? I have driven into Arizona and I never had to pay a fee.

No I did not but you are not answering my question who is charging a fee California or Arizona? How much?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
zcookiemonstar wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
zcookiemonstar wrote:
HMS Beagle wrote:

I have researched this extensively and have all the relevant CVC sections at my fingertips. CC with utility bodies have always had to stop at scales, it has just been weakly enforced. The problem with the newer pickups exceeding 11,500 GVWR is new, and the CVC hasn't caught up with it.

How is this new? My truck is a 2003 and GVWR is 12000#

2003 was about the first time a one ton pickup went above 11,500. My '99 was identical to my '15 in just about every way possible, except the GVWR was 11,500 instead of 14,000. The logical thing is for the vehicle code to change to match the times (and the likely intent), and redefine a "pickup" as 14,000 GVWR and more than 8001 lbs empty. I doubt very much that the CHP or DOT want every pickup jamming the scales. Just about any newer diesel crew cab is well over 8001 lbs empty, and any one ton is over 11,500 GVWR. If they all stopped at scales you wouldn't be able to fit a big rig in there. But the wheels of government turn slowly.

I think the risk of getting stopped with a camper on a utility body is vanishingly small, and I would argue that point into court. But without the camper you run the risk. I'm not surprised the average CHP officer isn't up on this stuff. My local DMV required a lot of training to understand even the easy bits.

A low box utility body would be great under the camper. There used to be one that looked exactly like the stock pickup bed, but it was all made into doors and storage compartments. Unfortunately the company no longer makes them.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear