cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family Camping Resorts NY/NJ/CT/PA?

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
As first timers, we have our 2018 TT on order with delivery no later than April 1st. We're pretty excited and know of several standard campgrounds near us that we wish to go to.

However, we also wanted to start looking into family resort style campgrounds within a few hours outside the NYC area.

Resorts with a thousand screaming kids, waterpark splash zones, games, arts-n-crafts and outdoor movie nights. You know, the kind of campground that folks without young kids run far, far away from.

I only know of the Jellystone parks. Wondering if there are others out there that are similar?

Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Odetah in CT a few years back. It was just the 2 of us but they had a lot of activities.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great suggestions here. I especially like the idea of the drive way campout trial night. The KOA Herkimer Diamond campground in Herkimer NY is a great spot. Plenty of activities for everyone. Be sure to make reservations early though.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to 3 RV parks in the Lake George area. 4 hours north of NYC on I-87. All 3 have been mentioned already.

1. LG RV Park/Resort: Kiddy pool, adult lounge, little movie room, playhouse where acts come in and perform, paved roads but kinda tight sites, indoor hot tub and pool, couple outdoor pools, big catch/release pond, closest to Rte 9 but traffic can be a nightmare, LG and Great Escape hop skip and jump away.

2. LG Escape: Actually in town of Warrensburg and very kid friendly, tubing rides $ (shuttle), 2 pools, use to have adults swim only like 6-7 or 7-8, nice playground. Haven't been here since 2005

3. Moose Hil Lock: Our favorite place by far in LG area!! Stone roads/sites, sites are H-U-G-E!!, good privacy between sites, better off far away from entrance so as to avoid all the traffic and dust, PLUS it's a lot quieter. Huge pool (heated) w/ like a Hawaiian them backdrop w/ 2 slides. Large pavilion where acts play, golf cart rental$$$. Not too far away from LG or Glens Falls/Queensbury and can take side roads to avoid Rte 9 traffic. We like it the best just on account of site space/privateness.

Wherever you go here, plan on at least 75-100 bucks/nite for full hook-ups.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
brianosaur wrote:
As first timers, we have our 2018 TT on order with delivery no later than April 1st. We're pretty excited and know of several standard campgrounds near us that we wish to go to.

However, we also wanted to start looking into family resort style campgrounds within a few hours outside the NYC area.

Resorts with a thousand screaming kids, waterpark splash zones, games, arts-n-crafts and outdoor movie nights. You know, the kind of campground that folks without young kids run far, far away from.

I only know of the Jellystone parks. Wondering if there are others out there that are similar?

Thanks

#1 rated cg in NJ is Holly Shores Resort CG in Cape May NJ! We have been going there for 35 years. It is 10 minutes from both the famous Wildwood wide, clean and FREE beaches and the Boardwalk which has 4 huge amusement piers. It is also 10 minutes from Cape May beaches. There is an amazing zoo in Cape May which is also beautiful and FREE! The Resort is clean, full of kid planned activities, hayrides, huge pool, shaded sites all full hookup, clean restrooms, big camp store. It is not cheap but well worth it! Very busy in July and Auguest. You would need to make reservations NOW!
Trust me, it will fit the bill of what you say you are looking for. Check it out on line!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

mikhen
Explorer
Explorer
ependydad wrote:

Getting into Pennsylvania opens up a handful more options.

And higher prices.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe consider a Thousand Trails membership- then you have access to Lake & Shore and Sea Pines in southern Jersey.

Getting into Pennsylvania opens up a handful more options.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

LindaD
Explorer
Explorer
Twin Grove RV Resort Pine Grove PA - Strawberry Park Preston CT - Spring Gulch New Holland PA - Lake George RV Park Lake George NY - Normandy Farms Foxboro MA

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Watkins Glen/Corning Koa, NY
Odetah in Bozrah, Ct

Both are loaded with resort style amenities!

Check out the reviews on Rv parkreviews.com

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
We don't do many "family" resorts, but have taken the grand kids to Seaport RV just outside Mystic CT and Pine Acres in Oakham MA. Much more to do in the area of Mystic of course, newer park, a lot for kids to do in the campground. Pine Acres has a lake, excellent pool, scheduled activities to keep the kids busy, but not much in the surrounding area. Both were great for kids. Pine Acres is probably the better of the 2 for adults, very well kept up.

I hear Normandy Farms up near Plymouth and Boston is even better for kids. Unfortunately it's very hard to get into, I gave up.

All of these are $$$-$$$$, and should be 2-3 hours from NYC, maybe a bit less to Mystic.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
brianosaur wrote:

Thanks

Being you metioned Jellystone Parks......you totally described this one ( http://www.lazyriverny.com/ )....there is also a KOA nearby ( https://koa.com/campgrounds/newburgh/ ) , but this Jellystone is much better for the kiddies.
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
One of the best resort campgrounds we've been to is Lake George Escape at the southern end of Lake George, New York:

http://www.lakegeorgeescape.com/

It has been almost 10 years since we've been there, so I hope it is still as good as it was. Tons of things to do without leaving the campground.

Also, we loved going to Wawaloam Campground in Rhode Island:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/rhode-island/west-kingston/wawaloam-campground-2501

They have a water slide there, playground, mini golf, etc. Again, though, it has been years since we've been there.

One of our favorite family campgrounds is Riverbend in Oneco, Connecticut:

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/connecticut/oneco/river-bend-campground-614

Not really a fancy resort campground, but we've always just had a great time there. All the other campers are great and welcoming. The river there is really neat to explore by canoe or kayak.

We've had great times at non-resort campgrounds, especially rustic, no hookup campgrounds. It is all what you make of it.

Flintstones
Explorer
Explorer
In PA, we like Otter Lake in the Pocono's, Lake George RV Park in Lake George NY, in CT we like Mystic KOA, and in NJ we like Big Timber Lake.

Another great family rv park where the kids will have a blast is Frontiertown in Ocean City, Maryland. Worth the trip but you need to book early.

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Will look into them 🙂

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Brian,

The first place you camp should be your driveway.

Make sure that everybody understands that this is what you are doing, and a (ie) 4PM, the house will be locked. You can run an extension cord to the trailer, and a water hose if you choose, but that will be home for at least that night. If it is raining, that is even better.

As to where to go for your first excursion, I don't have any clue. When I did live in the megopolis (central North Jersey), I tent camped in places like Stoke's State. We now do avoid the places you are looking for, but never fear.

I am going to suggest that you get over to:RV Park Reviews
I am sure that what you want will be found in the radius you have proposed. Remember that radius covers a lot of eastern PA, all of NJ, NY south of Poughkeepsie and CT west of New Haven.

Why not more??
Because you are towing a new trailer for the first time. You will be a lot slower than you are expecting. Rushing is a great way to never get there.

Matt - now camps with grands....

Thanks. Will check the link you posted.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on going hours away on my first trip.:E We're thinking in the middle of the summer once we have had the TT a few months and gone a bunch of times local.

I am sure my DD of 9 will want to sleep in it the first day we get it. Not to sure about just running an 'extention cord' though. Probably going to install a dedicated 30a/10ga cable to a new receptical outside the house.

...you never know when the mother-in-law might show up. 😉