cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LENGTH

raymondmom
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't posted in quite some time. I love my TC, but in two years I will replace at least the truck. (Because I am at the polar opposite of mechanically inclined!)
I understand the weight restrictions, but I do not understand how to calculate the length of the truck plus camper. My next truck will probably be a F350 super crew long bed. Any guidance provided would be greatly appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
realter wrote:
Can somebody explain this thread to me? This is a reason I have been reading rv.net less and less in the past year or 2.

Explain what, why you posted to it when it was over 2 months old and the OP had his question answered already? Not sure.

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I agree with Mkirsch and Realter if you are getting a truck with an 8 foot bed, and the camper is also 8 foot. Then the length of the truck is the length of the truck front bumper to the rear bumper, since the 8 foot camper sits inside the 8 foot bed. Am I missing something here?
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm confused as well.

What, exactly, do you mean by length?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Can somebody explain this thread to me? This is a reason I have been reading rv.net less and less in the past year or 2.

raymondmom
Explorer
Explorer
LOL!
No, I would most likely sell the truck and camper as one unit.

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
The answer to your question is.... the length of the truck.

The Four Wheel Grandby is 8 feet long.

If you buy a truck with an 8 foot bed, the Grandby will fit In the bed with no over hang out the back.

The length of the truck plus the camper will be... the length of the truck.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
You could measure the whole,thing tip to tail? No computing needed.
Are you trying to figure out if it will fit in your garage or something where exact length is needed?

4 Wheel Campers aren't long to begin with. They are more of an 'expedition' style camper similar to an Alaskan TIG welded aluminum frames, hand built cabinetry, everything top shelf, along with the price tag.

Mostly designed and weight compatable with smaller pickup trucks like the Tundra, F150 or Chebby Colorado.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You could measure the whole,thing tip to tail? No computing needed.
Are you trying to figure out if it will fit in your garage or something where exact length is needed?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
raymondmom wrote:
Thanks kohldad, you provided the math equation I was looking for!

For the nosy posters:
2014 4Wheel Grandby on a 2006 F150 4x4 short bed super crew. (under 80k miles)
Plus swaybar / shocks / struts as advised by this forum.
Yes, I weighed it and I can keep it within weight limits. Drove it cross country and through Rocky Mt National Park without any problems.

Nice unit. My 'Holy Grail' of PUP's. Maybe a Woolrich Edition if I hit the lottery.
2015 Backpack SS1500

raymondmom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks kohldad, you provided the math equation I was looking for!

For the nosy posters:
2014 4Wheel Grandby on a 2006 F150 4x4 short bed super crew. (under 80k miles)
Plus swaybar / shocks / struts as advised by this forum.
Yes, I weighed it and I can keep it within weight limits. Drove it cross country and through Rocky Mt National Park without any problems.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Length will be new truck length - 8' (for bed) + camper floor length.

OR

new truck length + length camper extends past the rear bumper of the current truck.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Joanne, also post what pickup camper you have. as well as what your current truck is. Some newer trucks have higher cabs and some old campers will need to be raised in bed of truck to clear cab.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Discounting my previously snarky comment (injecting some humor only), you need to ascertain the bed length of your present TC. Is it for an 8 foot bed or a 6 foot bed? An 8 foot camper will fit in a 6.5 foot bed but will hang out the back quite a bit and my put the Cg in back of the rear axle which may impact steering and handling.

Another aspect to consider is, new truck manufacturers are changing things like tailgate width (openings) and cab height (higher) so your old unit may not even go in a new truck (depending on what you buy or the cab over may not clear the cab roof without some modification (spacer) in the bed. I'd take measurements of your old unit and have them along when shopping for a new truck.
2015 Backpack SS1500

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if I am understanding the question. If you are looking at a new truck the dimensions are easily found online. If you are keeping your old camper measure how much extends off the back off the truck and add that to the trucks length. That should get you pretty close. The actual overall length may be a few inches shorter for the bumper which would be included in manufacturers length.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.