cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Up on the roof

7_3_psdman
Explorer
Explorer
I took me about two weeks to replace and clean around all of the vent and A/C covers on the fifth wheel. I tried several different cleansers around the vents before I installed the covers. CLR with mold and stain remover whitened the old rubber roof the best so I used it on the whole roof. Makes the roof look about five years newer again. I used it with a tire and wheel brush around the vents and then a bigger brush-mop on the rest of the roof.
14 REPLIES 14

DReisinger
Explorer
Explorer
You can use a gas powered pressure washer, just make sure and use the black tip which has a larger opening and lower pressure, drop the pick-up wand on the pump outlet into your cleaner,when the cleaner runs out, now you are rinsing with plain water.

skidooman93
Explorer
Explorer
I have pressure washed my roofs every spring for years with a gas powered pressure washer using the yellow nozzle. No problems with it, it's enough to clean the dirt off and make is sparkly again but doesn't hurt the caulk. The only way you are going to hurt the roof/caulk is if you are irresponsible and let the tip get to close. If you hold it 18-25" away you have nothing to worry about. I sprinkle powdered laundry detergent on, wet it, scrub it with a long handled brush, and pressure wash any stubborn spots. If you are lazy skip the detergent and just use the water. The key is to not use the fine red tip, that will tear wood up and wreck everything. The yellow and white tips are much less psi and do a great job.
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.7 Cummins, 68RFE Rear Air Suspension
2015 Ram 2500 SB 6.4 Hemi 4.10's Rear Coil Springs (Sold)
Anderson UCH
2014 Open Range 367BHS
1 wife, 1 Son, 1 Daughter, 1 Red Lab that wont come in the camper because hes a big baby, so he stays home.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I do like a clean roof, a clean roof makes for clean sides, there is no way for using harsh cleaners never mind a pressure washer.

What cleans the roof is the same stuff that cleans the sides, the Meguires auto cleaner, or similar, in the pink bottle & a soft brush. It then gets a wiping down with 303.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Dumoldles
Explorer
Explorer
I took a pressure washer to my rubber roof and did some damage to several areas of the roof. Indeed, you need to be very careful of letting the nozzle get to close to the rubber fabric because it'll peel. A learning experience and spent another day on the roof patching and caulking.

Dumoldles

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Strong cleaners on the roof washes down the sides of the trailer. I always do a wax job afterwards.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I have lost track of how many times people told me that and said THAT IS CRAZY MAN! and now they are doing it as well:B but after 3 5er's and 10 years of 3 times a year of doing the Electric power washer with no damage ya think I would have done damage by now AND I do the top of the Awning while I am up there Again the key is ELECTRIC power washer it does not even come close to taking caulking off or lifting the rubber roof off I would NOT use a gas 4-5K P.S I. washer That would be Crazy ,my Neighbor has been doing the same thing for years like I have if other folks want to spend a few hours scrubbing with cleaners and brushes have at it I got better things to do,believe me try it and you will never go back to Scrubbing and love the results:)
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
You're a braver man than I. I would never use a power washer on a fragile rubber roof, just don't trust myself not to get too close and riiiip. I've seen myself work and simply don't trust me not to slip at the wrong moment. Quick, but a high disaster potential. 🙂

X2. The pressure will do its best to lift the roof material.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're a braver man than I. I would never use a power washer on a fragile rubber roof, just don't trust myself not to get too close and riiiip. I've seen myself work and simply don't trust me not to slip at the wrong moment. Quick, but a high disaster potential. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Man I agree CLR would not be a good choice IMO and you put alot of work into it to boot, for the last 3 5er's I've owned I just use a ELECTRIC 1700 P.S.I. power washer and it takes most stains out Pronto and makes roof cleaning a 1/2 Hr job ,Electric power washers work great because they are just powerful enough to clean the roof Without removing any Caulking
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
The helicopters and small planes will appreciate the sparkling clean roof.
The pigeons and other birds will like the sparkling clean toilet
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure that a sparkling white roof is really necessary. Getting it back to white may shorten it's lifespan by removing layers of protection. It could be like tarnish on silver: it's doesn't look good but does protect the base layer.

X2
That is the last thing I would use on a rubber roof.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I'm not sure that a sparkling white roof is really necessary. Getting it back to white may shorten it's lifespan by removing layers of protection. It could be like tarnish on silver: it doesn't look good but does protect the base layer.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My roof isn't...cleaner than your roof. Will use a mild soap next spring prior to maintenance.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I guess a sparkling white roof is desirable, but I would be VERY hesitate to use CLR on an RV roof. CLR is super strong stuff.....lots of warnings about where and on what to use it.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro